Riteaid Albertson merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Shoot.. I accepted a 2018 grad job offer from Rite Aid and they are still paying lower salary compared to CVS and WAGs... lol

Shoot.. I accepted a 2018 grad job offer from Rite Aid and they are still paying lower salary compared to CVS and WAGs... lol
Now, it's gonna be even lower lmao... Or non existent pay raises.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ruh roh.

What about Safeway pharmacies? They're the same company.

I don't think there will be much growth in pharmacy, just consolidation like this. Combined with the job market saturation, salaries will probably be stagnant and your buying power will be eroded by inflation. I recommend everyone to pay off your loans, keep your expenses and lifestyle under control, and save and invest as much as you can to become financially independent from your pharmacy job.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think there will be much growth in pharmacy, just consolidation like this. Combined with the job market saturation, salaries will probably be stagnant and your buying power will be eroded by inflation. I recommend everyone to pay off your loans, keep your expenses and lifestyle under control, and save and invest as much as you can to become financially independent from your pharmacy job.
Yep, feel bad for new grads. Job market getting suckier by the day. Corp own them.

Yep, feel bad for new grads. Job market getting suckier by the day. Corp own them.
Why feel bad for them? A perfunctory google search of "pharmacy job market" brings up plenty of SDN/reddit threads telling people not to go. I consider everyone in school to have been fully forewarned or negligently ignorant of the situation.

Why feel bad for them? A perfunctory google search of "pharmacy job market" brings up plenty of SDN/reddit threads telling people not to go. I consider everyone in school to have been fully forewarned or negligently ignorant of the situation.
And yet we still see posts from people saying "I start pharmacy school this week. What's all this about saturation?"

At least the great state of Arkansas is holding a special session to decide on rules regulating PBMs. Maybe this will start a tidal wave and return reimbursement rates to something tolerable.

The Real Future of Work

It's just our turn for consolidation. This is happening pretty much in the upper industries, where everyone ends up going contractor as it's easier to deal with them. I'll be surprised that any staff pharmacist will have a full-time guaranteed job in a decade. I expect it to be a pick and choose labor supply for the employer, and that the only pharmacist employees are PICs and corporate (because most states mandate that the PIC has a salient interest in the workplace). If you don't understand why there aren't steelworkers anymore, well, now you know. It's just the way that you deal with knowledge workers has to be such where there are rewards as well as sticks for productivity.

I would suspect the good money would be to found a contractor company that exclusively supplies one of the chains with labor like the satellite companies to the tech industry and more or less becomes a shadow subsidiary that allows the major corporation to offload liability (much like your custodian and sanitation engineer contracts work right now in the chains and Wal-Mart).

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. In my district, the pharmacists hired from 1-2 years ago are still only getting 2-3 days/week.

The question is why.

What area? What are they doing about their loans?
In San Diego, there aren't enough hours around.

Mooch off mom for a little while longer, most rphs are Asians here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's be honest - this was probably one of the best outcomes for pharmacists

Rite Aid wasn't going to stay independent for long. Any acquisition by a major chain would have led to a huge number of store closures and layoffs due to geographic overlap

So Safeway has their awful EPS software that's now been forced upon Albertsons. You're suggesting they'll let Rite Aid keep Nextgen, or implement Nextgen at Safeway and Albertsons? I ask because the local Safeway is still on PDX and was getting ready to upgrade to EPS.

So Safeway has their awful EPS software that's now been forced upon Albertsons. You're suggesting they'll let Rite Aid keep Nextgen, or implement Nextgen at Safeway and Albertsons? I ask because the local Safeway is still on PDX and was getting ready to upgrade to EPS.
Press release said they will rebrand most Albersons 1800 pharmacies as Rite Aid. Keep the stand alone Rite Aid. Rite Aid is the bigger pharmacy player/brand. I am assuming they will convert Albersons pharmacy system to Nextgen. New CEO is going to be Rite Aid current CEO. With him as ex-Rite Aid CEO, he will push for it knowing Nextgen is better. It just makes sense that way. Of course, this is an educated guess at best.

And yet we still see posts from people saying "I start pharmacy school this week. What's all this about saturation?"

At least the great state of Arkansas is holding a special session to decide on rules regulating PBMs. Maybe this will start a tidal wave and return reimbursement rates to something tolerable.

It's been an on-going battle for a while now in Arkansas. It's gained enough support from legislators and the public that the PBMs have made their own ad campaign against AR pharmacists.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1840967382642655&id=319085508164191

Now, it's gonna be even lower lmao... Or non existent pay raises.

I could see Rite Aid salaries falling to sub 100k a year to adjust to the massive increased supply of pharmacists. Getting a job as a pharmacist is a privilege. Going to school should just be for the knowledge not a guarantee of a pharmacy job.

Pharmacy colleges are business, they are there to sell you a degree. They don't care what you do after you graduate. Sadly, college students don't learn this still there are eye balls deep in debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't working at 2 different retail pharmacies cause some problems if they found out?

Pharmacy colleges are business, they are there to sell you a degree. They don't care what you do after you graduate. Sadly, college students don't learn this still there are eye balls deep in debt.
I think pharmacy school is more of a pyramid scheme than a business. More schools = more grads = more need of jobs = more pharmacy schools opening to make more jobs for the new pharmacists = more schools = more grads. This will repeat until either easy Fed. loans dry up or the default rate gets too high due to lack of domestic paying pharmacist jobs.