Rituals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashley1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I can't sleep and so I was wondering if anyone had any weird rituals that they've developed throughout this whole pre med shenanigans process. For me I drink a large Budweiser and watch or read Christopher Hitchens the night before an exam every time without fail. Then in the morning I make my bed perfectly (very abnormal for me) and use a green glitter pencil every time. Anyone else? Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha. I can't sleep either. I'm averaging around 3.5-4 hours of sleep a night. Thinking of setting a sleep timer on my laptop. And if I didn't have to work, probably popping a Benadryl...

Rituals during the pre-med shenanigans process, eh? Well, I live at home (while working because hell, NYC is expensive) and the night before interviews (and the MCAT), I was too wired to sleep. So I would go into my grandma's room and we'd watch Law & Order SVU until 6am while snacking on graham crackers and tea.

Members don't see this ad :)
PM your address. You can fall asleep in my arms. ;)
Awwww how sweet!!! I'm 3/4 the way About to pm my number since I'm so bored of insomnia I can barely function hahaha jk jk

Trust me, you don't want me to sing unless you plan on staying up all night.
Lol PM me your number and I will gladly take that risk just to hear your supposed squawking lol

What is going on here lol

Reactions: 28 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A love is blossoming before our eyes. I'm bored and sleepless too, by the way. I trust you are both on the East Coast where it is ridiculously late/early/who knows?

Reactions: 6 users
A love is blossoming before our eyes. I'm bored and sleepless too, by the way. I trust you are both on the East Coast where it is ridiculously late/early/who knows?
I'm in Alaska haha

......just kidding lol. West coast for me though.

Last edited:
As far as rituals go I'm a strong believer in lucky socks. I have a pair of lucky socks that I've had since high school and wear them any time I have a big test. I wore them for the mcat and under my dress socks at interviews! They are mostly just holes at this point but you don't mess with success :p

This has nothing to do with being pre-med, but I always eat Skittles in exactly the same order. Orange, then purple, yellow, green, and I finish with red. In other words, I go from worst to best flavor. Might have to reconsider with the new green apple flavor. A lot of people do this, though, right?

Right???

Reactions: 5 users
This has nothing to do with being pre-med, but I always eat Skittles in exactly the same order. Orange, then purple, yellow, green, and I finish with red. In other words, I go from worst to best flavor. Might have to reconsider with the new green apple flavor. A lot of people do this, though, right?

Right???

My preferred method is to squish a few into a mega skittle and proceed from there.

Reactions: 1 user
I listen to Shake It Out by Florence and the Machine right before taking exams.

My preferred method is to squish a few into a mega skittle and proceed from there.

I take Skittles and I put it between two Starbursts....It's nice because the flavor of the Starbursts really bring out a similar flavor in the Skittles.

Before every MCAT practice test/problem set/the actual thing, I listened to this track:

It became my little call to arms track. Not even sure why, I just liked it and it made me feel calm but prepared.

I play my little hand-held solitaire or yahtzee game right before bed. It seems to lull me to sleep quite nicely.

Niiiice. Good to know, I'm taking notes.

Haha jk jk

Nope I'm taking notes.

Taking notes for what!?? Lol it wasn't like THAT haha

Last edited:
Shot of Bushmills single malt irish whiskey aged 10 years.

However I have read more studies that drinking alcohol within like 3 hours of sleep makes you sleep worse because it affects your ability to enter rem. So while you fall asleep faster, your sleep is more restless.

Right???

Just as normal as my taking all the non circular cheerios/fruit loops out of my bowl so i can only eat the ones that were circles. And its totally normal, right? Right? RIGHT?? :heckyeah::heckyeah:

Reactions: 4 users
Awwww how sweet!!! I'm 3/4 the way About to pm my number since I'm so bored of insomnia I can barely function hahaha jk jk

You can give it to me... as a responsible protector of cats... and foxes, I am certain I'm your right bodyguard. :naughty:

Any friend of Hitch is a friend of mine lol

Hitchens is the man... @BlueLabel
upload_2014-2-5_12-7-39.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
You can give it to me... as a responsible protector of cats... and foxes, I am certain I'm your right bodyguard. :naughty:
Haha I was like aww and then I saw the face and I was like oh dear lol

Right???
I eat my skittles in pairs of the same color. I understand

to answer the original question: I listen to music right before exams. It soothes me and also drowns out the neurotic premeds who are frantically running around asking each other last minute questions.

Every night before a test I study but get burnt out before finishing. I promise myself to wake up a couple hours early the next morning to cram some studying in before the test. I set my alarm and go to sleep. The next morning, without fail, I snooze through my alarm and end up not studying at all. I don't know why I even try.

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted to all the schools where I did pullups before going to the interview. Maybe they were 'mirin my lats too much to hear all the stupidity coming out of my mouth.

I guess your phone is giving you some cues. :naughty::nod::naughty:
You are soooooooo silly lol
I actually chatted hopefuls ear off last night. I hope he wasn't bored lol

Last edited:
Sticky the thread and title it SDN personals...

While you cruelly and coldly denied me... ouch... :cryi:
What?!?!?! Look, I was much more talkative last night because I celebrated ending midterms with too many drinks. Now I'm all shy again hahaha it's not rejection I swear!

What?!?!?! Look, I was much more talkative last night because I celebrated ending midterms with too many drinks. Now I'm all shy again hahaha it's not rejection I swear!

Sure sure... I'll... just sleep.. in the dumpster... all alone. +pity+ +pity+

With this recent abandonment I shall proceed to answer the main OP:

So I can't sleep and so I was wondering if anyone had any weird rituals that they've developed throughout this whole pre med shenanigans process. For me I drink a large Budweiser and watch or read Christopher Hitchens the night before an exam every time without fail. Then in the morning I make my bed perfectly (very abnormal for me) and use a green glitter pencil every time. Anyone else? Lol

Well I go posting on SDN social/class threads as a friendly, fun guy... and try to minimize getting rejected coldly. That and listen to weird genres of music.

SDN: The #1 dating site for lonely, insomniac pre-meds

Reactions: 3 users
SDN: The #1 dating site for lonely, insomniac pre-meds
Lol omggggg. Seriously why can't people chat about life without it being like that haha. Ugh I regret this thread haha

Last edited:
Today I learned that the average SDN pre-med is both horny and OCD. A potent combination.

@histidine you are not alone. I do literally the exact same thing. What's wrong with us!?!

I've found that I constantly refer to myself as "Sackler" or "Langone" or "Elmezzi."

Today I learned that the average SDN pre-med is both horny and OCD. A potent combination.

@histidine you are not alone. I do literally the exact same thing. What's wrong with us!?!

Hahaha. It's kind of funny, because I'm usually gung ho about doing well. But in the morning, sleep is king. Gotta change that for med school/residency/life

Lol omggggg. Seriously why can't people chat about life without it being like that haha. Ugh I regret this thread haha
Haha I'm just giving you a hard time. I think it's cool that two strangers talked to each other after meeting on an SDN thread.