RN as a "plan B" for a Pre-med; opinions needed for the best way to go about this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the shretiology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit about me first; I am currently a microbiology major at a University of Wisconsin college and I have chosen the pre-medical path due to my love for problem solving, biology, altruism, and humanity. I've always wanted to be a knowledgeable person with abilities to help others in need... I am after all lucky enough to be a healthy able person (or so I think).

I love what I do in undergrad currently and have maintained about a ~3.9 with my following semester (beginning Monday) consisting of Physics 2 and Orgo 1.

I am an ER scribe and have been for ~1.5 years, and through this I have learned a plethora of clinical information, gaining much knowledge on the nature of many medical conditions.

Now although I do love studying biology/sciences currently, I do not want to work in a research setting if all else fails when attempting to achieve medical school/PA school acceptance; I want to work in a clinical setting and experience the joy of meeting with and treating patients!

Being realistic, I would need to arrange a plan B (+pity+) and I am posting this thread to receive suggestions on choosing the RN path as a plan B. Would it be suggested that I double major, or just enroll into the RN program if all does not go well with my MCAT and med school apps/interviews?

Thank you fellow internet surfers!

Members don't see this ad.

Plan B should be DO dude

Reactions: 4 users
A bit about me first; I am currently a microbiology major at a University of Wisconsin college and I have chosen the pre-medical path due to my love for problem solving, biology, altruism, and humanity. I've always wanted to be a knowledgeable person with abilities to help others in need... I am after all lucky enough to be a healthy able person (or so I think).

I love what I do in undergrad currently and have maintained about a ~3.9 with my following semester (beginning Monday) consisting of Physics 2 and Orgo 1.

I am an ER scribe and have been for ~1.5 years, and through this I have learned a plethora of clinical information, gaining much knowledge on the nature of many medical conditions.

Now although I do love studying biology/sciences currently, I do not want to work in a research setting if all else fails when attempting to achieve medical school/PA school acceptance; I want to work in a clinical setting and experience the joy of meeting with and treating patients!

Being realistic, I would need to arrange a plan B (+pity+) and I am posting this thread to receive suggestions on choosing the RN path as a plan B. Would it be suggested that I double major, or just enroll into the RN program if all does not go well with my MCAT and med school apps/interviews?

Thank you fellow internet surfers!
It's an entirely different profession, and ADCOMs are going to wonder about your commitment to medicine if you're in a nursing program. Plus, you're taking a seat from someone who really wants to be a nurse.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly are interested in medicine as your first choice career, I think you need to focus 100% on medicine. Don't major in nursing. It could be a serious red-flag on your med school applications. Medical schools want people who are seriously 100% committed and sure of this career path. It's definitely good to have a Plan B but I would think of it as a contingency plan for if you don't get the results you hoped for after applying MD.

You can always apply to nursing programs after college, if medical school doesn't work out. There are plenty of programs now that are designed specifically for people who already have a bachelor's in a non-nursing subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Your plan B could be PA, which requires substantial clinical hours. Focus on getting into medical school. If you fail to get in after a cycle or two, community colleges have RN programs.

You are in a good spot. If you need a plan B, you can do a 1 yr BS/BA to RN program. No need to do nursing now

Plan B should be DO.
Plan C should be PA after 1-2 years of clinical work experience full time.
Plan D should be BA/BS to RN post-bac program or an MSN program that gives you the opportunity to sit for the RN exam after the first year.

Reactions: 11 users
Plan A: Get into med school. GPA at the time was a <3.5 with a <20 MCAT.

Biology professor/adviser: *Looking at my grades*.......ummmm...... do you have a plan B? o_O
Sister in Pharm school: You should really apply to pharmacy school.......why not do nursing? :eek:
Professional Advisers: Gave vague responses. Lots of uncertainty and doubts.
My father: Reminded me how useless I am on the daily

I'm a very dedicated, motivated, and driven person. Not smart, but my ambitions compensate it. I took the MCAT 3 times and spent 2 summers in the darkest dungeon of the library. I sacrificed many aspects of my life:
Stopped partying
Lost a social life
Deleted all of my video games
Stopped breakdancing

Ask me again, do I have a plan B? ..........Nope:). Never would I thought I would be in a position to decline interviews. I am blessed and grateful for everyone who supported my interest and path to medicine.

Morale of the story: Don't Give Up

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You deleted your videogames?!?!?!
You brave soul.
Plan A: Get into med school. GPA at the time was a 3.3 with a 17 MCAT.

Biology professor/adviser: *Looking at my grades*.......ummmm...... do you have a plan B? o_O
Sister in Pharm school: You should really apply to pharmacy school.......why not do nursing? :eek:

I'm a very dedicated, motivated, and driven person. Not smart, but my ambitions compensate it. I took the MCAT 3 times and spent 2 summers in the darkest dungeon of the library. I sacrificed many aspects of my life:
Stopped partying
Lost a social life
Lost beautiful girlfriends
Stopped breakdancing

Ask me again, do I have a plan B? ..........Nope:). Never would I thought I would be in a position to decline interviews. I am blessed and grateful for everyone who supported my interest and path to medicine.

Stopped partying
Lost a social life
Stopped breakdancing

wait did you get in

Plan B should be DO.
Plan C should be PA after 1-2 years of clinical work experience full time.
Plan D should be BA/BS to RN post-bac program or an MSN program that gives you the opportunity to sit for the RN exam after the first year.
I would say:
Plan B -- DO
Plan C -- DDS/DMD
Plan D -- Law or a similar autonomous profession
Plan E -- PA
Plan F -- RN

Last edited:
I would say:
Plan E -- RN

I would actually really consider making dental school Plan C ahead of all those, particularly with the desire to still deal with patients as the OP expressed.

I would actually really consider making dental school Plan C ahead of all those, particularly with the desire to still deal with patients as the OP expressed.
Amended -- totally forgot about dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Amended -- totally forgot about dental school

Law would be an interesting option. All LSAT dependent though; i don't think I'd be interested as a backup option unless it was T14 the way things have become

You could throw podiatry in there as well, perhaps anasthesiology assistant if you are willing to relocate or a cRNA depending on well you do in nursing training( although that field in general is going to be in a state of flux).

Last edited:
Based on what you've posted, assuming you aren't completely strange in your interviews, the rest of your application reflects a similar degree of excellence, and you have a realistic set of schools, I don't think a plan B would be necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand why people feel the urge to hate on nurses so much. Plan F? Plan E? Maybe my perspective is a bit off because I work with nurses on a daily basis and see the difference they make in our patients lives, and my mother and aunts are both nurses. Stick with whatever your major is now. If med school isn't in the books, and you feel like you can truly do nursing and enjoy it- enjoy the 12 hour shifts, wiping butts, baths, IV sticks, etc- then by all means, go to a community college after graduation and get your RN. But if you only say you want to do nursing as a "backup", you'll burn out before your peers who got into med school finish their residencies.

Now you won't be making 250k+ with a nursing degree, but I know many nurses who work in supervisory roles as directors of nursing and clinical directors and make good money. But you have to really love the job.

Well if we are opening it up to DDS I would throw in optometry somewhere.

Law would be an interesting option. All LSAT dependent though; i don't think I'd be interested as a backup option unless it was T14 the way things have become

You could throw podiatry in there as well, perhaps anasthesiology assistant if you are willing to relocate or a cRNA depending on well you do in nursing training( although that field in general is going to be in a state of flux).
Forgot about podiatry as well. Point is there are a whole litany of professions that have more overlap with medicine than nursing.

I don't understand why people feel the urge to hate on nurses so much. Plan F? Plan E? Maybe my perspective is a bit off because I work with nurses on a daily basis and see the difference they make in our patients lives, and my mother and aunts are both nurses. Stick with whatever your major is now. If med school isn't in the books, and you feel like you can truly do nursing and enjoy it- enjoy the 12 hour shifts, wiping butts, baths, IV sticks, etc- then by all means, go to a community college after graduation and get your RN. But if you only say you want to do nursing as a "backup", you'll burn out before your peers who got into med school finish their residencies.

Now you won't be making 250k+ with a nursing degree, but I know many nurses who work in supervisory roles as directors of nursing and clinical directors and make good money. But you have to really love the job.
You answered your own question with the bold. No one is hating on RNs, they just have less in-common with being a physician than the other professions I listed (IMO.) If you want to be a nurse, then great be a nurse.

Unless the OP has very strong visual-spatial skills, DDS might not be an option.

Not sure if I agree that if you dont have "very strong" skills in those areas, dentistry shouldnt be a path for you.

Sure people in that field have to be "competent" in those areas, but just look at what dental school admission emphasizes: GPA and test scores with an emphasis on academic capabilities with litle to no focus on an applicants manual dexterity. There isnt much pre-dentals are asked in terms of proving their visual-spatial skills; there is one section on the DAT that tests this which is probably the most they are assessed in this area before entering dental school. So its not like pre-dentals are screened out for their visual-spatial skills and only the ones who have strong skills are the ones who enter dental school.

I'm saying all this because a) the dental school attrition rate is still extremely low(and graduation rates every bit as high as medical schools) despite not really testing applicants manual dexterity b) The consensus I hear from those in the dental field I know is these skills can be taught to someone with very average skills(it's more an issue of putting in the time and effort) and in the majority of cases, those who really struggle in dental school are struggling because of academic issues in the classroom primarily, not issues in the lab or with manual dexterity.

I think the bigger issue in deciding dentistry is if that field and the concentration appeals to you. The general day to day things a dentist largely does wont appeal to many people as a career and that's the bigger issue in my opinion to figure out if the field is right for someone.

Last edited:
I would say:
Plan B -- DO
Plan C -- DDS/DMD
Plan E -- PA
Plan F -- RN

Gawd, anything but law or dentistry.
USC dental costs for students entering this year are projected to be over 500k (!). The school is basically admitting that students would never pay that off.

I never really thought of a plan B.. even though most people told me to. I mean I tried to think of a plan B but I didn't wanna do anything else

I have a good friend making about that who is an NP involved in hormone replacement. He also has TONS of autonomy. I'm extremely glad I got into medical school but if you really wanted to do something like primary care being an NP wouldn't be a bad route at all. I'm with you, not sure what the hate is all about.

I am hoping to get in a nursing program for the fall semester 2016. My plan is to finish my BSN which takes 3 years and then take some of the preqs for MCAT exam. I don't know if this would work but medicine is my real passion. I wish I had more time and money to go to a University and go straight for med school.
So my question is, once I graduate from nursing school what are the classes that I need to take in order to excel in MCAT ? I got As in all of my science classes but last year I took a film class and a few other classes just for fun and got Bs in them. That brought my GPA down to 3.8. I wish I had never taken them

Last edited:
Based on what you've posted, assuming you aren't completely strange in your interviews, the rest of your application reflects a similar degree of excellence, and you have a realistic set of schools, I don't think a plan B would be necessary.
Took 17 posts for someone to mention the obvious, only for the conversation to flow meaninglessly around it....

OP, you have a freakin' 3.9 right now. Statistically this bodes quite well for your success in achieving plan A.

Law would be like a Plan Z for me. Seriously, you couldn't pay me enough to be a lawyer.

I'd imagine that most people who are interested in health sciences probably feel similarly.

Were you playing dota, league, WOW, or any other mmos?

Also, breaker -> doc is one hell of a transition. :) Were you able to relate breaking to proprioception or injuries etc during interviews?

Anyways, greatest asian comeback story ever

Stopped partying
Lost a social life
Stopped breakdancing

Last edited:
Law would be like a Plan Z for me. Seriously, you couldn't pay me enough to be a lawyer.

I'd imagine that most people who are interested in health sciences probably feel similarly.

I would genuinely pick being a welder or some similar blue collar skilled trade over law. Job prospects would be better anyway!