RN/Paramedic/allied health to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi2kul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currectly an RN, BSN wanting to apply to MD/DO schools.
i currently have 3.5yrs experience in ER/ICU/CCU/MED SURG at a level 1 hostipal.
*i was wondering if theere are any similar applicants/current med students with nursing/allied health background that do not mine sharing their stats ( GPA/MCAT)
* Which medical school do they attend/plan to attend.
My GPA is 3.28science, 3.35 cum MCAT june 2009 hopeful. under represented minority in help and tons of EC's.
Below are my science grads and i really do not plan on retakening any:(
phys 1 A
Phys 2 A
bio 1 B
bio 2 A
genetics A
gen chem C
gen chem 2 B
orgo 1 B
orgo 2 B
statistic B
trigo B

This is a thread to brain storm......and please let peace reign.:thumbup::love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been a paramedic for almost 5 years now. My MDapps profile has all my info, where I got interviews and such. My GPA is similar to yours, but with a long period in the academic wilderness, some failures and the like as a freshman/sophomore before I got my head on straight. My recent performance has been much better. My MCAT is pretty high, but I worked hard at it and it paid off, and it was my second time taking it.

I'd say if you have shown consistent performance through your college career, and it looks like you have, you're in a pretty good position for DO. It's late for this year, but apply early (ie May/June) for next year and I think you'll do very well. You'd get interviews without being a URM; that you are will only help you. Try to rock the MCAT and you'll be half-way there. Good luck.

Unable to comment meaningfully without MCAT scores. Do your best on the test and report back when you have a score. Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working as a medical tehnologist since 2004 and I have similar stats as you and an average MCAT score. I just wanted to reassure you that there is hope! I had 4 acceptances this year and turned down interviews. My main advice to you is to apply early and play up on your strengths of having a clinical background. Also, I found that schools were very receptive of the fact that I was currently taking classes at a Post-Bac. level, so if you are able to find the time I suggest taking some upper level Bio classes.

Good Luck!

always nice to have some hopes.
i am really interested in OSU-COM and their bridge program. where u do med school for 5years. i have 2kids and a husband. i think that will be great to do and still manage my family effectively. any one know any good/bad experiences with that program

Unable to comment meaningfully without MCAT scores. Do your best on the test and report back when you have a score. Good luck. :luck:

I second this.

Also, I would highly recommend taking a slightly earlier MCAT (May, April) so that you can be complete with AACOMAS in early June. This also gives you the chance to retake it if it didn't go well.

I second this.

Also, I would highly recommend taking a slightly earlier MCAT (May, April) so that you can be complete with AACOMAS in early June. This also gives you the chance to retake it if it didn't go well.

Yeah. I'm not sure if it still works with the new MCAT format, but if you take test 4R under test-like/timed conditions, that score seems to be pretty indicative of how you will perform on the MCAT +/- 3 points. (I say 4R because 3R is generally considered too easy). This may not be valid because of the new CBT/shortened test structure.

With a 3.3 you would be sitting pretty with anything 28+ (since 3.3 falls just under most schools averages, and having a 28 MCAT would put you slightly above almost all DO school averages (Western and others at 27.5 are amongst the highest).

I'm not sure what you mean by the new format. The last MCAT I took was Jan 08 and I'm guessing they haven't changed how quickly they ship out scores. Granted, if the OP takes it on May 25 (which is another date I took it), yeah, it might not be early June, but it's still just one month.

I think shaving off an additional month and adding it to the early advantage is worth thinking about this early on, unless the OP has something planned.

I'm not sure what you mean by the new format. The last MCAT I took was Jan 08 and I'm guessing they haven't changed how quickly they ship out scores. Granted, if the OP takes it on May 25 (which is another date I took it), yeah, it might not be early June, but it's still just one month.

I think shaving off an additional month and adding it to the early advantage is worth thinking about this early on, unless the OP has something planned.

http://www.kaptest.com/oneoff/mcat-test-change/computer-based-mcat-information.jhtml

14 days in 2008? is that right?

*edit*

No, it's not

Last edited by a moderator: