RN to DO question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeAreOne213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat unique situation here.I'm an LPN currently getting ready to graduate in June with an associates in science and nursing. Long story short, I've always wanted to be a doctor but never had the courage to follow that dream, so I went into nursing. Granted, I love being a nurse, but its not what I originally wanted.

Working in the field I get to see a glimpse of what doctors do on a daily basis and it re-ignited my desire again a few years back. I've thought about being an NP but again, that's not what I want. My question to you wonder advice givers here at SDN is what should I do with regards to obtaining my Bachelors? Should I continue to purse a BSN and just take the pre med requirements as electives, or should I completely change my major? Just a little background info on me, I'm 23, not to great at math and I work full time due to living on my own. I know it seems like an uphill battle, but, I'm ready to do what it takes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a somewhat unique situation here.I'm an LPN currently getting ready to graduate in June with an associates in science and nursing. Long story short, I've always wanted to be a doctor but never had the courage to follow that dream, so I went into nursing. Granted, I love being a nurse, but its not what I originally wanted.

Working in the field I get to see a glimpse of what doctors do on a daily basis and it re-ignited my desire again a few years back. I've thought about being an NP but again, that's not what I want. My question to you wonder advice givers here at SDN is what should I do with regards to obtaining my Bachelors? Should I continue to purse a BSN and just take the pre med requirements as electives, or should I completely change my major? Just a little background info on me, I'm 23, not to great at math and I work full time due to living on my own. I know it seems like an uphill battle, but, I'm ready to do what it takes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend taking whatever the shortest route is to obtaining your bachelors, which at this point is probably a BSN. Plus, having a BSN is a great fallback and you can work as a nurse while you are getting your pre-requisites done. Also, having a BSN IMO is slightly more interesting/related to medicine then the standard biology degree.

However, if getting a BSN will take substantially longer then another degree then I'd recommend switching majors.

Good luck.

I have a few more classes to take before I can apply to a university ( 1 year foreign language), so, a BSN would for sure be the shorter route to go at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)

I dont think you need calculus to apply to DO...College Algebra and Statictics will suffice. Get your BSN if it is the shortest route...My primary care doc was a nurse and she told me she had no problem getting into multiple DO schools. Just get good grades...do well on the mcat and you will be fine...

I have a few more classes to take before I can apply to a university ( 1 year foreign language), so, a BSN would for sure be the shorter route to go at this point.

What pre-reqs have you taken? Will you be able to fit any in that you still have while getting your BSN? If so, that sounds like it would be the best route, assuming it is the quickest.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'I have a few more classes to take before I can apply to a university ( 1 year foreign language)'? Does the school where you're getting your BSN not offer other programs and majors?

Anyway, good luck and don't give up!

What pre-reqs have you taken? Will you be able to fit any in that you still have while getting your BSN? If so, that sounds like it would be the best route, assuming it is the quickest.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'I have a few more classes to take before I can apply to a university ( 1 year foreign language)'? Does the school where you're getting your BSN not offer other programs and majors?

Some CCs have BSN programs, but otherwise stop at AS, at which point you have to transfer to a university to continue your studies. Obviously a lot have no bachelors programs at all.

OP, it doesn't matter what you get your bachelors in, so just do whatever is faster, and just make sure you finish the pre-reqs. As others have said, a BSN is valuable, because ultimately, you can always fall back on a degree like this, unlike a bio bachelors that pretty much can only get you an entry-level research job paying you $9/hr.

Last edited:

I ended up getting my associates from a career college which is regionally accredited. When taking the pre-nursing classes at my local CC I didn't fulfill some of the requirements for a university. So, I would have one semester of classes before a start my BSN program. Thank you for being so positive, def appreciate the advice :).

Some CCs have BSN programs, but otherwise stop at AS, at which point you have to transfer to a university to continue your studies. Obviously a lot have no bachelors programs at all.

OP, it doesn't matter what you get your bachelors in, so just do whatever is faster, and just make sure you finish the pre-reqs. As others have said, a BSN is valuable, because ultimately, you can always fall back on a degree like this, unlike a bio bachelors that pretty much can only get you an entry-level research job paying you $9/hr.

That's my thought on the situation as well. But, for some reason, some people have told me that a BSN is less likely to get accepted into medical school for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure getting my BSN is the best option for me at this point.

That's my thought on the situation as well. But, for some reason, some people have told me that a BSN is less likely to get accepted into medical school for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure getting my BSN is the best option for me at this point.

Not less likely at all!
And you can always make it a unique part of you in your ps and interviews, it would def give you another perspective and an edge on the right interviewer.
Good luck!

It depends whether you are applying to med school before graduating with your BSN. If you have worked in the nursing field for a few years and then decided to apply to med school it would be a great advantage in the application process. If you are still in the process and have yet to work as a RN then it could be a negative on your application. The thinking is that why would you be applying for a different profession when you haven't even had experience with the one you are in the process of earning a degree in?

But many people have gone from nursing to MD/DO. Many of them finished the BSN and worked as a nurse while they finished any missing pre-reqs and took the MCAT. I would recommend that route.

It depends whether you are applying to med school before graduating with your BSN. If you have worked in the nursing field for a few years and then decided to apply to med school it would be a great advantage in the application process. If you are still in the process and have yet to work as a RN then it could be a negative on your application. The thinking is that why would you be applying for a different profession when you haven't even had experience with the one you are in the process of earning a degree in?

But many people have gone from nursing to MD/DO. Many of them finished the BSN and worked as a nurse while they finished any missing pre-reqs and took the MCAT. I would recommend that route.

I don't see why it would be a particular negative against them. Maybe they won't be able to use the whole "having worked in the medical field" angle, but would it really significantly affect their app if their BS is not in Bio? Especially since I imagine a BSN has some science focus in it as well. How would it be any different than an Engineer, Math, English, Economics, or even Physics/Chemistry major applying to medical school?

As long as OP's ECs are in order and they have good stats, LORs, etc. it really doesn't matter what their major is. Sure the majority of people who enter medical school are bio majors, but that's also because the majority of people who apply to medical school are bio majors.

I'm in the same situation. Currently an RN and finishing up my pre-reqs for DO or MD school. I'm leaning more towards DO though. I was originally a Chemistry major but switched to nursing so I do have a lot of the pre-reqs completed I just need physics. I've met several physicians who were RN/BSN's first. And it's obvious they had no problem with being accepted into medical school. The bad thing is I'm not telling anyone my plans for going back to school to become a doctor. I'm sure you can relate.

I'm in the same situation. Currently an RN and finishing up my pre-reqs for DO or MD school. I'm leaning more towards DO though. I was originally a Chemistry major but switched to nursing so I do have a lot of the pre-reqs completed I just need physics. I've met several physicians who were RN/BSN's first. And it's obvious they had no problem with being accepted into medical school. The bad thing is I'm not telling anyone my plans for going back to school to become a doctor. I'm sure you can relate.

I really can relate. I feel like i'm living a double life lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just to clarify, I've been an LPN for almost three years. So, I have worked in the field for some time now. I just happened to get accepted to an RN program and it seemed like the natural thing to do, despite it not being what I really wanted.

I'm quoting LizzyM from this thread : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=641639 I know it doesn't completely apply to the OPs question.

You are making a mistake.

1) most science classes for nurses are not as rigorous as the courses typically taken by pre-meds; this puts you at a disadvantage in med admissions

2) nursing labs and clinicals are a time-sink and can take a toll on gpa putting you at a disadvantage in med admissions

3) working while in medical school is NOT recommended and stating that you intend to do so might make an admissions committee consider you a high risk student.

4) taking a spot in a nursing program without the intention of being a nurse (for more than a couple years) hurts society and contributes to the chronic shortage of nurses (you are taking a spot from someone who would make a 40year career of nursing.) It may raise questions about your ability to commit to any career.

The pre-requisites for med school generally are:
1 year Chemistry with Lab
1 year Organic Chemistry with Lab
1 year modern Biology
1 year Physics with lab
1 year English

I'm quoting LizzyM from this thread : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=641639 I know it doesn't completely apply to the OPs question.

I think most of that quote is either unrelated here or outdated. OP already intends to take the med school pre-reqs. Whether or not a BSN will be tough on them depends more on them and their ability. Given that another major would require at least another year of courses and they've already worked as a Nurse before, I think they should be able to gauge what they can or can't handle. I don't believe they mentioned anything about working while in med school, which would be a bad call for anyone. Also, I've heard that the chronic nursing shortage is no longer as major a concern as it was a few years ago, but I'm not really sure of this.

I think most of that quote is either unrelated here or outdated. OP already intends to take the med school pre-reqs. Whether or not a BSN will be tough on them depends more on them and their ability. Given that another major would require at least another year of courses and they've already worked as a Nurse before, I think they should be able to gauge what they can or can't handle. I don't believe they mentioned anything about working while in med school, which would be a bad call for anyone. Also, I've heard that the chronic nursing shortage is no longer as major a concern as it was a few years ago, but I'm not really sure of this.

You're 100% right. There actually is no nursing shortage, but the nurses that are working are completely overworked. When I worked in LTC I literally had 30 patients to take care of. I don't have to be in nursing for 40 years to know it's not what I want.

Fair enough. OP, seems like you know what you are doing. Just thought I'd give the opposition opinion. Best of luck to you!

hey im the same boat as you are. I am working towards my BSN at the moment. I am spacing out my BSN coursework in a way that i can take my sciences first. Think about it, you want to have a good grasp on the required pre med stuff so you can do well on your MCATs. You can finish your BSN coursework when you are getting ready to apply to medical school. You just need a BSN before you matriculate.

Keep your spirits up and you will be there in no time. good luck!

hey im the same boat as you are. I am working towards my BSN at the moment. I am spacing out my BSN coursework in a way that i can take my sciences first. Think about it, you want to have a good grasp on the required pre med stuff so you can do well on your MCATs. You can finish your BSN coursework when you are getting ready to apply to medical school. You just need a BSN before you matriculate.

Keep your spirits up and you will be there in no time. good luck!

I think that's good advice. It'll save time and you can really tell if you have a good shot early on.

All of the good advice has been given all ready. Best I can add would be our Internal Med interest group advisor and prof here in Kansas City was an RN before going back for her DO.

Seems like the DO route is more open to RN/BSNs as there tend to be more non-traditional DO students. The DO schools seem like they look closely at clinical/life experience in their admissions. That might be anecdote that is way off the mark, though. You will be prepared either way you go by the time you finish your pre-reqs.

All of the good advice has been given all ready. Best I can add would be our Internal Med interest group advisor and prof here in Kansas City was an RN before going back for her DO.

Seems like the DO route is more open to RN/BSNs as there tend to be more non-traditional DO students. The DO schools seem like they look closely at clinical/life experience in their admissions. That might be anecdote that is way off the mark, though. You will be prepared either way you go by the time you finish your pre-reqs.

That was my experience as well. Saw many more non-trads at DO interviews, and they all definitely seemed to put a lot of emphasis on clinical experience.

I went from PharmD and now in osteopathic medical school. It helped me get in. I'd make sure you have taken the prereqs within the past 7 years and just exhibit the knowledge on the MCAT. DO school adcoms appreciated my history

same position here too guys. I'm graduating from my ADN in december and start my bridge program in january that will run thru to next december. as soon as thats done i'm enrolling in the pre-reqs.

What do you think about EC's? This is one of the questions I can't seem to get answered directly. What kind of EC's would be expected for someone who has been an RN working full-time for years?

Hey.
I just finished a traditional nursing program and and hoping to go on to medical school. I would do a normal BSN program with the pre-reqs for med school as electives. It would probably be fastest. You don't want to end up doing what I am where I have to take an extra two years of schooling to finish those. People will try to talk you out of it, but don't listen to them! Do what you love and don't settle for anything else. Also, don't tell your nursing profs that you want to go on to medical school (I had some really bad experiences with that).
Good luck!!!
RN2MD

Hey.
I just finished a traditional nursing program and and hoping to go on to medical school. I would do a normal BSN program with the pre-reqs for med school as electives. It would probably be fastest. You don't want to end up doing what I am where I have to take an extra two years of schooling to finish those. People will try to talk you out of it, but don't listen to them! Do what you love and don't settle for anything else. Also, don't tell your nursing profs that you want to go on to medical school (I had some really bad experiences with that).Good luck!!!
RN2MD

Lol....

Hey.
I just finished a traditional nursing program and and hoping to go on to medical school. I would do a normal BSN program with the pre-reqs for med school as electives. It would probably be fastest. You don't want to end up doing what I am where I have to take an extra two years of schooling to finish those. People will try to talk you out of it, but don't listen to them! Do what you love and don't settle for anything else. Also, don't tell your nursing profs that you want to go on to medical school (I had some really bad experiences with that).
Good luck!!!
RN2MD

No kidding on the part about omitting your plans from the nursing school staff. The ones in academia have ENORMOUS chips on their shoulders and will literally only respond if you refer to them as Dr.X. The prospect of a nursing student surpassing them in the ranks AND knowledge is a huge blow to their ego's...