RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took the MCAT yesterday, guys! I am both relieved beyond belief and anxious for the results. Hope everyone's journey is going well!

Hope you got the score you wanted brainnurse! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How do you guys feel about the discussions happening in the allopathic school sub-forum? There's always a thread mentioning the NP take over and how nurses are all militant and like to laugh at stupid doctors. I've never seen any of this in school or in practice! It makes me a bit sad these might be my future colleagues and how ****ty a few of them are going to be towards the staff.

Last edited:
@Eccesignum, I have been following your progress through the last cycle. You, madam, are an inspiration!

And probably a god. Probably. <_<

God.jpg

But seriously, thank you. I did a lot of things right but I also had to learn quite a few things the hard way, and I'm here to give back for as long as I can. I hope you destroyed that MCAT, and if you ever need help in your cycle don't hesitate to let me know :)

How do you guys feel about the discussions happening in the allopathic school sub-forum? There's always a thread mentioning the NP take over and how nurses are all militant and like to laugh at stupid doctors. I've never seen any of this in school or in practice! It makes me a bit sad these might be my future colleague and how ****ty a few of them are going to be towards the staff.

I would say that the anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in people on either side of any issue, and to take SDN with appropriate grains of salt. Read it, but don't let it color your feelings. Your experience will be your own, and partly depends on your own attitude, your understanding of issues around you, and your personal treatment of those you end up dealing with.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest with you guys, going back and reading this thread helps me stay on track with the goals I set for myself. There are times I question myself when I see my nursing peers who have chosen other career routes (NP, CRNA or any advanced practice nursing for that matter) are well off financially along with a good work schedule to boot. Rather than reminding myself that being a doc is what I want, sometimes logging onto SDN and reading some threads can really help freshen up your mind.

How do you guys feel about the discussions happening in the allopathic school sub-forum? There's always a thread mentioning the NP take over and how nurses are all militant and like to laugh at stupid doctors. I've never seen any of this in school or in practice! It makes me a bit sad these might be my future colleagues and how ****ty a few of them are going to be towards the staff.
When I first joined SDN, I read something in the Nontrad advice thread about staying away from Pre-Allo. I did exactly that until recently. I imagine the student forum can be just as bad. I just shrug away comments from medical students about nurses. At the end of the day, they're students and have zero influence or clout or effect on my nursing life. I meet good ones and crappy ones and ones I wanna strangle - same goes for nursing students though, so. =/

Reactions: 1 user
When I first joined SDN, I read something in the Nontrad advice thread about staying away from Pre-Allo. I did exactly that until recently. I imagine the student forum can be just as bad. I just shrug away comments from medical students about nurses. At the end of the day, they're students and have zero influence or clout or effect on my nursing life. I meet good ones and crappy ones and ones I wanna strangle - same goes for nursing students though, so. =/

It's way worse. I've only been in one heated debate in the allo section. I keep an open mind and I do agree with some of the concerns about NPs, but it's too rampant with nursing stereotypes to ever be fruitful. You'll just end up being attacked if you do :/.

Death sentence for MD, unless you have the equivalent of an H-bomb for an application. Which unfortunately you don't, with that GPA and self-admitted weak ECs and LORs. Don't do it. Take the MCAT in September if you feel ready in September, but get ready to apply in 2017 and come at it strong from day it opens.

See my post above re shadowing. Some places won't think so. Some will. Use your own judgment.

Other ECs are absolutely necessary. Being a nurse is just one aspect of an application. Adcoms are looking for well-rounded people with a good dose of altruism.

A low GPA can have subtleties, so it kind of depends. It's better if that low GPA is the end result of a very low old GPA + very high GPA in extended, rigorous post-bacc. It looks worse if it's just that your performance was lackluster all the way through. Definitely take as much upper-division hard science as you can and get As (biochem is on the MCAT, by the way). Consult the low GPA thread in this forum for an idea of what people with sub-par GPAs have gone to make themselves marketable. It's definitely not easy, speaking as someone who came from an abysmal GPA, myself.

Whatever you do, I would put down the application for this cycle. Step back and make a plan to make yourself a strong candidate, and only apply when your app is the strongest it can possibly be.

Thanks for the feedback! Will def work on my ECs,. For now, I'm focusing on slaying that MCAT on sept. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why would you be reviewing bio/chem stuff right now? Focus on senior year, get a job line up during your last semester, pass NCLEX, work 1+ year while doing all the normal pre-med stuff, plan your MCAT, and apply.
Hello there! Thanks for the response. I only thought reviewing my bio/chem stuff would be "okay," because I don't want to forget everything I learned and quite frankly, knowing myself, some components of Bio were indeed troubling for me.

Finally, a thread I can actually relate to!

-Hello guys! My name is Ana, I am 24 years old, and I am 2 semesters away from finishing my second degree in nursing. My road has not been all that predictable (like most, I can imagine). Straight out of high school I thought I would finish college as a pre-med/biology major...and boy was I wrong! To my honest defense, I can say that I got lost in Life. I transferred from an "ok" school where I had a 4.0 gpa to a well known school in the state where my gpa dropped like never before. All I remember was feeling as though the classes I chose were just so ridiculously intense and felt inevitably hopeless and frustrated with myself. Honestly, it was as though Life pretty much got the best out of me. Thank God, during one of my undergrad semesters I ended up meeting a good academic advisor who told me her personal story of the pediatric nurses who took good care of her child who had to undergo a serious medical procedure. During that time, I was partnered up as an EMT with a high school friend who was also going to school for nursing and felt I bit inspired to take a hiatus from the medical school route and attempt going to school for nursing. Needless to say, a year later after this "epiphany" I did not only graduate with a public health degree but also finished the pre-reqs for nursing school and soon after...LITERALLY not even a week after finishing my last prereqs course, I began nursing school.
Currently this summer I am indeed going insane because I am not used to simply taking a summer break. I finished my second semester in nursing school and I must admit that most people underestimate nursing school. Needless to say, my biggest dilemma at the moment is that I know for a fact that I want to attend medical school while working as an RN (preferably a pediatric RN). I have not discussed this with many of my nursing peers because I get the idea that it is just that "thing" many people in my shoes stay away from! Truth is that even my most "wonderfullest" (yes, I said wonderfullest) nursing professors always tend to speak negative about doctors and I am afraid that their suggestions may just be a bit too biased. Quite frankly, I am hesitating to take 1 out of the 5 classes I still need in order to apply to med school and I can only say that my hesitation derives from the fact that I am on a budget (it isn't easy recuperating from 2 nursing semesters while simply working at a part-time job). Though, closed relatives of mine have offered to help, I would like to know from anyone what they think would be the appropriate thing for someone in my shoes to do. I do admit that as time passes I am becoming more doubtful in myself because as much as some of friends tell me to just "enjoy" the ride, I have always "enjoyed" the ride while I was taking courses for my career. For this reason I have been continuously debating on whether or no I should:

1.Take this time to review my bio and chem stuff using books such as Princeton Review
2. Enroll in a summer II session course (take chem II)
-or-
3. Strictly focus on nursing stuff (i.e. earn my ACLS and PALS certs)

Overall, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time out to read this LOL...I apologize for such lengthy post.
and I can only say that while in college I studied hard and not smart. I allowed my insecurities get the best out of me and yes, I am willing to take risks BUT I certainly want to use my time WISELY.

Hi, Ana. First, wall of text, girl! Use that enter key next time, please. Lack of paragraphs just made the post a little difficult for me to digest/respond to. As for your list of yes/no activities, they really on what you want to do. Here's my take:

1. Come up with a timeline. What do you want to happen and when? I can't say much about your financial situation. This is an expensive venture and if budget is that tight, it might be more prudent to put this on hold and wait until you're making RN money. I love, love, love coming up with timelines, so if you need help or a sounding board on that, drop me a line.

2. Do not start studying for the MCAT until you're done with most of the requirements AND you have an idea of when your test date will be.

3. If you have time, start looking into ECs. Even a couple of hours a week of volunteering can add up when you do them consistently while you're doing prereqs.

4. If you get a position in an acute care hospital, most will pay for ACLS, PALS and any other requirements for their employees. Leave those alone for now. They're expenses you can do without as a nursing student/new-grad.

5. Your instinct not to speak about this to your nursing peers is correct. Hold off on that. In fact, don't even mention it. It might breed more problems so early in your nursing career.

Hope you got the score you wanted brainnurse! :)
View attachment 204501
But seriously, thank you. I did a lot of things right but I also had to learn quite a few things the hard way, and I'm here to give back for as long as I can. I hope you destroyed that MCAT, and if you ever need help in your cycle don't hesitate to let me know :)

The MCAT has been officially destroyed, ladies, thank you. Not quite the way @Eccesignum annihilated it, but so much better than FLs had me expecting. I might take you up on that offer at some point, actually. I'm all sorts of nervous/hopeful/trying so hard not to get my hopes up.

Reactions: 1 users
The MCAT has been officially destroyed, ladies, thank you. Not quite the way @Eccesignum annihilated it, but so much better than FLs had me expecting. I might take you up on that offer at some point, actually. I'm all sorts of nervous/hopeful/trying so hard not to get my hopes up.

My MCAT score was pretty boring, actually (one section very high but two pretty average for matriculants) :) In my interviews it was never brought up; the major thing frequently brought up was that the committees liked how mature I came across on paper. Which is what leads me to believe that while numbers are the initial gatekeepers (and must be solid to get to the threshold), the way you write and then present yourself is also incredibly important.

Anything I can do, just let me know!

Hi, Ana. First, wall of text, girl! Use that enter key next time, please. Lack of paragraphs just made the post a little difficult for me to digest/respond to. As for your list of yes/no activities, they really on what you want to do. Here's my take:

1. Come up with a timeline. What do you want to happen and when? I can't say much about your financial situation. This is an expensive venture and if budget is that tight, it might be more prudent to put this on hold and wait until you're making RN money. I love, love, love coming up with timelines, so if you need help or a sounding board on that, drop me a line.

2. Do not start studying for the MCAT until you're done with most of the requirements AND you have an idea of when your test date will be.

3. If you have time, start looking into ECs. Even a couple of hours a week of volunteering can add up when you do them consistently while you're doing prereqs.

4. If you get a position in an acute care hospital, most will pay for ACLS, PALS and any other requirements for their employees. Leave those alone for now. They're expenses you can do without as a nursing student/new-grad.

5. Your instinct not to speak about this to your nursing peers is correct. Hold off on that. In fact, don't even mention it. It might breed more problems so early in your nursing career.
@brainnurse Thanks so much for this! Really helps!!!

Starting my cycle now, will post my stats/school list and then keep you guys updated as it progresses.

BSN. TX resident; 5 years of ICU experience (ongoing)
3.35 cGPA & 3.38 sGPA (pretty strong upward trend). 508 MCAT (126/128/128/126)

Some volunteer experience. 2 science LORs and one from a DO.

Applying to all Texas schools and ~ 17 DO schools. Am fully verified/submitted to all of them as of today. Currently in secondary essay purgatory ;).

Feeling positive about things. I hope I have good news throughout the cycle.

Good luck to everyone. If anyone has any questions or anything I could possibly help with (PS, etc), just let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fully submitted all secondaries to all of my schools (20 total).
5 interview invites thus far.
:xf:First interview is a week from tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! Still a bit surreal for me.

All OOS thus far. FL, AL, NM, AZ, PA.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

NM was one of those schools that I wish I was able to apply to. If you're into hiking or snowboarding/skiing, it's an awesome state to be in.

How's everyone doing? Work killed me this weekend. My plantar fasciitis got triggered and I am le dying! I'm a 70-year old in a 20-something year old body. =/
/end nursey complaints

Way to go, @FCMike11! 5 IIs, that's fantastic!

How's everyone doing? Work killed me this weekend. My plantar fasciitis got triggered and I am le dying! I'm a 70-year old in a 20-something year old body. =/
/end nursey complaints

Way to go, @FCMike11! 5 IIs, that's fantastic!

I've been suffering from plantar fasciitis since November :(

Well they're up to 7/5 this morning for AMCAS verification and I submitted 7/6, so should be today or tomorrow!

I'm starting to get anxious because 2 of my letters aren't in yet. I wasn't stressing it until now because I was waiting anyway.

So I'm stealing someone else's idea and making a progress thread for all us RN to MD/DO hopefuls. Feel free to post a little about yourself, where you work, your progress / timeline, interests, or anything else pertaining to nursing.

Myself: 27, male, Florida / St. Pete area, I've worked on a Medical Respiratory floor for almost two years now. I'm sure I could make myself content for a little while if I went to the ICU or ED but eventually I'd want more.

I have a few C's in sciences prior to starting this journey. Never figured they'd hurt me down the road. I started my post bac with Chemistry II and Anatomy and Phys since I never had to take it as a prereq. I finished Organic Chemistry I and Trig this Spring, Organic Chemistry II this Summer B session (I need to ask this professor if he's willing to write a strong LOR since I spent a decent amount of time in his office hours). All A's so far but now I have Physics I this Fall (I was horrendous at Physics in high school like 11 years ago), and I guess Physics II and Biochemistry in the Spring. I'm not sure if I should take those two together. Especially since I'm getting married in January and will likely miss a week of class for the wedding / honeymoon.

Interests: PM&R (SCI, Musc, TBI) is probably my top choice even though I don't have exposure to it at the moment. The idea of working with people who can actually get better and gain some functionality back really excites me. Whereas my floor the majority of these people are never going to stop abusing alcohol, drugs, smoking etc and thus will never get better. It's a pretty decent lifestyle speciality too. Primary care in theory sounds good (working on prevention and managing chronic illnesses as necessary). I played baseball in college for a couple of years until I was basically too injured to give it my best so Sports Med seems appealing too and there are a few routes to that.

Timeline: Finish Physics I, II, and Biochemistry by Spring. Study a few months for MCAT, take in the Fall and eventually apply.

So there's a bit about myself. Feel free to post if you're a nurse or if you're not but have some advice for us.

Thanks

How is your journey going thus far? I am curious for an update :)

Hi everyone,

Great thread! Very inspiring! I was thinking about pursuing this path myself, or at least trying to. I just graduated from my BSN, with a GPA of 3.9. I have multiple letters of recommendation and have worked on a couple different research projects with different institutions.
My plan is to return to school in January for the science prereqs (General Chem, Biochem, and Organic Chem) and hope to write the MCAT later next year- all in good time to ensure I am able to achieve a competitive score- and then apply across Canada.
My question was regarding the science prereq's, does it affect your chances of admission if you complete those courses at a college instead of a university? My thoughts are that it wouldn't, as long as you score well on the MCAT. Thoughts?
Also, this is such a daunting/scary career path but this thread has definitely given me hope!

Hi everyone,

Great thread! Very inspiring! I was thinking about pursuing this path myself, or at least trying to. I just graduated from my BSN, with a GPA of 3.9. I have multiple letters of recommendation and have worked on a couple different research projects with different institutions.
My plan is to return to school in January for the science prereqs (General Chem, Biochem, and Organic Chem) and hope to write the MCAT later next year- all in good time to ensure I am able to achieve a competitive score- and then apply across Canada.
My question was regarding the science prereq's, does it affect your chances of admission if you complete those courses at a college instead of a university? My thoughts are that it wouldn't, as long as you score well on the MCAT. Thoughts?
Also, this is such a daunting/scary career path but this thread has definitely given me hope!
Hey van, good to hear you are making the transition to medicine as well. You have an excellent track record. As far as courses go, it is recommended to take them at a university, but I personally don't think it will kill you taking them at a local community college. In fact, I am taking majority of my courses at a local CC. The name of the game is to do well in all of your courses wherever you take it and do well on the MCAT. Again welcome aboard buddy you are not alone in this, we are all in this together!!!

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick response. I personally work at a hospital here in Vancouver and 3 docs I work with, including the Attending, used to be nurses. I have always wanted to pursue this course, but honestly just didn't think I was smart/good enough. Reading through this thread has definitely given me the confidence to take the pre req's and give it a shot!
One more question, I noticed some schools (or actually most schools) don't have "required science courses" but "recommended courses" including the above listed Chemistry etc... I highly doubt one would be able to do well on the MCAT without taking the bulk of these 1st/2nd year courses, but have also heard of people investing in MCAT prep courses instead. Thoughts again?
I am not one to skip the process and am not afraid to commit to more schooling prior to my application, I just dont want to go the long way about when I don't have to.
Thanks again!!

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick response. I personally work at a hospital here in Vancouver and 3 docs I work with, including the Attending, used to be nurses. I have always wanted to pursue this course, but honestly just didn't think I was smart/good enough. Reading through this thread has definitely given me the confidence to take the pre req's and give it a shot!
One more question, I noticed some schools (or actually most schools) don't have "required science courses" but "recommended courses" including the above listed Chemistry etc... I highly doubt one would be able to do well on the MCAT without taking the bulk of these 1st/2nd year courses, but have also heard of people investing in MCAT prep courses instead. Thoughts again?
I am not one to skip the process and am not afraid to commit to more schooling prior to my application, I just dont want to go the long way about when I don't have to.
Thanks again!!

There are "some" schools that do not require prerequisites, but it is inadvisable by most people here. It's a good way to build a foundation in science prior to taking the MCAT. The science classes we took for our prenursing were just the fundamentals.

There are "some" schools that do not require prerequisites, but it is inadvisable by most people here. It's a good way to build a foundation in science prior to taking the MCAT. The science classes we took for our prenursing were just the fundamentals.

Thank you! That is what I thought! I don't mind the idea of taking post-bacc courses in science if it will help me with the MCAT. Although some schools are moving away from the traditional required sciences, it looks as though the MCAT is central to almost every application. I think my plan of action will be to apply to UBC/or Langara College for prereqs and gain a better foundation. Plus it will give me time to gain more experience/research. Appreciate your input! Where are you in your application? It is so nice to find like-minded nurses/academics out there :)

I will be finishing my NP degree in December. I have officially completed an application at the local university to begin taking prerequisites next semester. To say I am nervous is an understatement. I have not taken a "real" science or math class since 2009. I plan to obtain a hospitalist NP position while I take classes part-time. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will be finishing my NP degree in December. I have officially completed an application at the local university to begin taking prerequisites next semester. To say I am nervous is an understatement. I have not taken a "real" science or math class since 2009. I plan to obtain a hospitalist NP position while I take classes part-time. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Try to knock those prereq classes out as fast as possible. I think you will likely do just fine.
BTW very happy to see an NP becoming an MD.

I am SO nervous too!!!! I just registered for my Chem/Bio pre reqs and I am so intemidated! But excited to build a solid base to rock the the MCAT first time around in due time! I keep remembering how I didnt think I would do well in nursing and I surprised myself in sciences. We got this!

I am SO nervous too!!!! I just registered for my Chem/Bio pre reqs and I am so intemidated! But excited to build a solid base to rock the the MCAT first time around in due time! I keep remembering how I didnt think I would do well in nursing and I surprised myself in sciences. We got this!

I felt the same way when I registered for for Chem at a local community college. I was pretty much the "old" (27 years old) surrounded by a bunch of young fresh minded 18/19 year old pre-med/pre-pharm. It was definitely intimidating for me as I have not taken any science courses for over 7 years. But you'll soon learn how to catch on quickly amongst your peers.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. A little about me. I am 35, no kids, husband or boyfriend. I am currently working as an ER nurse. I have a Bachelor's degree in chemistry that I received before I went to nursing school. I have one prerequisite left- the second semester of physics- before I apply next summer to matriculate in 2018. I'm also retaking a couple of science courses for higher grades and potential letters. I plan to sit for the MCAT in June.

Some doctors I work with tell me they don't know why I didn't do this years ago, and some tell me I'm crazy for doing this, and that I should cut my losses and do CRNA or NP.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. A little about me. I am 35, no kids, husband or boyfriend. I am currently working as an ER nurse. I have a Bachelor's degree in chemistry that I received before I went to nursing school. I have one prerequisite left- the second semester of physics- before I apply next summer to matriculate in 2018. I'm also retaking a couple of science courses for higher grades and potential letters. I plan to sit for the MCAT in June.

Some doctors I work with tell me they don't know why I didn't do this years ago, and some tell me I'm crazy for doing this, and that I should cut my losses and do CRNA or NP.

ED represent! 36 year old M1 here and former ED nurse, myself. It's a tough road and definitely takes a little bit of insanity to go through with it, but make the decision that's right for you. Good luck to you.

I told myself that I would wait and focus on pre-med courses after nursing (Chem 2, orgo, and physics). Weeeeeell, I sort of woke up one day and made up my mind that I couldn't let another year pass by, prolonging not taking at least 1 course towards medical school, and registered for the LAST seat available taught by a descent Chem 2 professor at a community college 40 mins away from home. I'm glad I had the help and support of my family and beloved, since I had to come up with the money last minute. For lab, I think I survived by partnering up with with a pre-pharm student who was 6 years younger than me. Yea, at first I felt a bit old LOL but I saw how I was taking the class much more serious than she was and went in there to do what I was there to do! Yea, Chem 2 is a lot of work but what got me through it was the constant reminder that I couldn't give up. I didn't want to let others down after they assisted me pay for this course. I managed to get an A in both lecture and lab ( I was aiming for an A- but the final helped me TONS!).

-If you stick with it, study, and block any sort of negativity, things will become easier! Best of LUCK! :thumbup::D

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,

34, similarly unattached, former ED nurse and current M1. If medicine is what you truly want, advanced practice nursing will not cut it for you. I speak from experience there. Give it everything you've got, and let no one stand in your way. :)

Reactions: 4 users
It's nice to see that I'm not the only RN out there hoping to transition to MD!

I'm 27, spent the last three years in cardiac critical care. Currently have all my secondaries in and impatiently waiting...

Do admission boards look down on RN applicants? I have great grades, good MCAT score, tons of volunteer and clinical hours and still don't have any interviews.

Any feedback from individuals who have been through this process?

It's nice to see that I'm not the only RN out there hoping to transition to MD!

I'm 27, spent the last three years in cardiac critical care. Currently have all my secondaries in and impatiently waiting...

Do admission boards look down on RN applicants? I have great grades, good MCAT score, tons of volunteer and clinical hours and still don't have any interviews.

Any feedback from individuals who have been through this process?

Welcome! I've asked the same question before and it seems like the answer is no. They don't really care one way or another, as long as your app is strong and you applied to schools appropriate to your stats. How long ago were you complete? Also, I know it's hard but try not to worry too much. The interview season is long. Some schools haven't even sent out IIs yet.

Do admission boards look down on RN applicants?

No.

This process is about more than just how many hours of X you have or your GPA and MCAT. It's about the entire picture of you that you've presented on paper and whether or not a round of screeners thinks you might be a good fit at their school. Remember that you are one of literally thousands of applications they're going through right now, and that the interview season doesn't start winding to a close until spring. If this were a chess match we'd barely be on the second move of the opening right now, if that far. Give it some time.

No they do not. In fact, the opposite is true in most cases, since you have good health care experience.

WHere did you apply? Just M.D. schools?

Just MD schools, I'm realizing that my list is a little top heavy... But I was encouraged by some trusted advisors to go big with my stats (513, 3.98, previous AA degree, tons of volunteer hours + nursing)

Time will tell if they were right!

There's been an influx of nurses and other allied professionals coming to the forum, so I'm casting Revive on this old thread. Hope everyone's doing well!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just in the middle of taking cell bio and biochem, planning to take the MCAT in the spring. So far, I haven't gone public with my plans. I'm feeling really lonely and distressed. I have told a few people, like my professors and a female doc I work with, but I have yet to find a "mentor" or any encouragement. I look up to famous researchers like Jennifer Doudna and when I read about their success, they are always mentioning some key mentors along the way who gave them the courage or boost to get to the next step. I've never had anyone like that in my life, which is why I'm only just now realizing I can and want to be a doctor at age 32. It's a really long path from now until possibly medical school, and I'm loving what I'm learning in these classes right now, but it is super discouraging to do poorly on a quiz or be laughed at by a professor. I'm glad to know that somewhere else, there are others taking this same unique path as me :)

I'm just in the middle of taking cell bio and biochem, planning to take the MCAT in the spring. So far, I haven't gone public with my plans. I'm feeling really lonely and distressed. I have told a few people, like my professors and a female doc I work with, but I have yet to find a "mentor" or any encouragement. I look up to famous researchers like Jennifer Doudna and when I read about their success, they are always mentioning some key mentors along the way who gave them the courage or boost to get to the next step. I've never had anyone like that in my life, which is why I'm only just now realizing I can and want to be a doctor at age 32. It's a really long path from now until possibly medical school, and I'm loving what I'm learning in these classes right now, but it is super discouraging to do poorly on a quiz or be laughed at by a professor. I'm glad to know that somewhere else, there are others taking this same unique path as me :)

Nice to see another emergency nurse making the switch! About going public with your plans, I would suggest only speaking with physicians you trust about this. When my fellow nurses found out about my plans, there was a lot of chatter in a negative way. I've also received the shaft with having my rooms full while everyone else is chilling, probably because they know I am on my way out soon. There is a lot of pettiness in the nursing world. Stay under the radar and do what you have to in order to get the mentoring you desire. This has been a lonely journey, but so far a worthwhile one.

But hey, who knows, your coworkers might be more mature than mine and you'll receive nothing but support. Hope that is the case!

I'm 26 years old, new grad RN working on a cardiac floor. My current GPA is 3.71. I'm in a part time BSN program currently. In the meantime, I am seeking for programs to finish my pre-med prerequisites and MCAT in the next few years. There are 3 possible ways to do this:
1. A post-bacc program
or
2. A second B.S. in Biology/Chemistry/Biochemistry
or
3. Taking classes from a community college and then some from a university to fulfill only pre-med courses.

I am talking to some academic advisors to receive guidance for which program would be best. I am sure there are pros and cons to all the above options. I want to make sure that if I financially invest in any of those programs, the result would be worth it. Anyone would like to offer their advice or suggestions? I think it's super encouraging seeing people around my age who are doing the same thing. I have always been afraid that I would be too old for medical school. Thank you in advance.

I'm 26 years old, new grad RN working on a cardiac floor. My current GPA is 3.71. I'm in a part-time BSN program currently. In the meantime, I am seeking for programs to finish my pre-med prerequisites and MCAT in the next few years. There are 3 possible ways to do this:
1. A post-bacc program
or
or
3. Taking classes from a community college and then some from a university to fulfill only pre-med courses.

I am talking to some academic advisors to receive guidance for which program would be best. I am sure there are pros and cons to all the above options. I want to make sure that if I financially invest in any of those programs, the result would be worth it. Anyone would like to offer their advice or suggestions? I think it's super encouraging seeing people around my age who are doing the same thing. I have always been afraid that I would be too old for medical school. Thank you in advance.
Your best bet would be to apply to the local university as a degree seeking student (this way it would be easier to get in the required classes), but not actually seek to obtain a degree. There is no need to do a post-bacc given your GPA is on par. Also, there is no reason you actually need to obtain a second baccalaureate degree. You'll just be "wasting" time. I am also an RN, soon to be NP. I have applied to my local university as a degree seeking student (and was actually advised to do this) so I would not be last in line to sign up for classes. As we all know, pre-med classes can be rather competitive and spots are reserved for degree-seeking students.

Your best bet would be to apply to the local university as a degree seeking student (this way it would be easier to get in the required classes), but not actually seek to obtain a degree. There is no need to do a post-bacc given your GPA is on par. Also, there is no reason you actually need to obtain a second baccalaureate degree. You'll just be "wasting" time. I am also an RN, soon to be NP. I have applied to my local university as a degree seeking student (and was actually advised to do this) so I would not be last in line to sign up for classes. As we all know, pre-med classes can be rather competitive and spots are reserved for degree-seeking students.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely consider it. Your plan sounds very similar to mine, NP is my back up plan just in case MD doesn't work out. Best of luck to you!

Nice to see another emergency nurse making the switch! About going public with your plans, I would suggest only speaking with physicians you trust about this. When my fellow nurses found out about my plans, there was a lot of chatter in a negative way. I've also received the shaft with having my rooms full while everyone else is chilling, probably because they know I am on my way out soon. There is a lot of pettiness in the nursing world. Stay under the radar and do what you have to in order to get the mentoring you desire. This has been a lonely journey, but so far a worthwhile one.

But hey, who knows, your coworkers might be more mature than mine and you'll receive nothing but support. Hope that is the case!
I agree with you which is why I'm keeping it under wraps until I know for sure that I got in somewhere and need to give notice...

I'm 26 years old, new grad RN working on a cardiac floor. My current GPA is 3.71. I'm in a part time BSN program currently. In the meantime, I am seeking for programs to finish my pre-med prerequisites and MCAT in the next few years. There are 3 possible ways to do this:
1. A post-bacc program
or
or

You're definitely not too old. I chose against the post bac because I already had most of their classes. I am just taking cell bio and biochem because I scored poorly in those areas in a practice mcat. I will be applying to schools, of which there are now many, that are flexible with the prerequisites. Which also signals to me that they will be schools open to a non traditional student. For example, I only have one term of physics, but several schools that reviewed my scripts said that was fine.......... If you know where you want to go, make an apt with their admissions team.

Hello Everyone,

Short and to the point. I'm a 43 year old RN/paramedic (7.5 years, with both emergency department and ICU experience). My backstory is long and complicated, and I won't bore you with the details. However, I applied to medical school once before in 1995-96, and it went nowhere. I decided to redo my premedical coursework and the MCAT (which is quite different now), and my stats are competitive. So far, I have 11 interview invitations (7 MD, 4 DO....5 completed, 6 pending). I have been accepted to two schools, and I have committed to one of them (an MD school). So, to my fellow RNs that are aspiring to medicine, it CAN happen. It isn't easy juggling 12 hour night shifts and daytime coursework, but it is doable. My middle aged dinosaur self is going to medical school in the fall (so to anyone who thinks they are "too old"...look at me as an example). Super pumped !!!! I wish each of you the best in your journey.

Reactions: 12 users