RN to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisydowg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in an ADN RN program and will be graduating in 9 weeks. I have decided I want to continue on to medical school but don't know where to start. I have a contract with a hospital to work there for 2 years. It is advised I work on a med surg unit out of school for the experience. However, I may have an opportunity to get into the ICU when I graduate. What should I do? What would be the best experience and where would I learn more so that it would be beneficial during medical school. I know I have a long way to go, but I just want to be prepared.

Also, should I continue to get my bachelors in nursing or should I attempt an undergrad in biology or something a bit more "pre-medish"?

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how old you are, but given what you've accomplished so far a two year DNP program would be a much more logical move than 4 years of medical school during which you ran up $200,000 in additional student loans for very little additional compensation on the other end.

DNPs are supposed to be reimbursed at 85% of the rate of MD/DO PCPs in urban settings and 95% in rural settings.

I wish I was graduating with a DNP! :) I am graduating with an associate degree in nursing (2 year) from a community college. I will be an RN when i graduate.
(Just to clarify) Thanks for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Work ICU if you are looking for experience. Do not work Med/Surg unless this type of nursing is something you really enjoy doing. ICU will afford you more critical thinking skills and more interesting experiences.

As for the BSN or other major question, I don't know the answer. I went for a BSN because it was 1 year of additional coursework + the physics and Organic Chem classes & able to continue working vs about 2 years of full-time course work & not able to continue working.

I haven't applied yet so I don't know if my way works. I'll let you know this time next year. ;)

As to the DNP question, if I'm not mistaken one must have a BSN + MSN before entering a DNP program. Time wise I think it works out close to the same when you take into account the additional classes needed as BSN pre-reqs. I haven't really looked into it personally because I don't want to be a Nurse Practitioner (even one with a doctorate), I want to be a doctor. But that's just me....

Work ICU if you are looking for experience. Do not work Med/Surg unless this type of nursing is something you really enjoy doing. ICU will afford you more critical thinking skills and more interesting experiences.

As for the BSN or other major question, I don't know the answer. I went for a BSN because it was 1 year of additional coursework + the physics and Organic Chem classes & able to continue working vs about 2 years of full-time course work & not able to continue working.

I haven't applied yet so I don't know if my way works. I'll let you know this time next year. ;)

As to the DNP question, if I'm not mistaken one must have a BSN + MSN before entering a DNP program. Time wise I think it works out close to the same when you take into account the additional classes needed as BSN pre-reqs. I haven't really looked into it personally because I don't want to be a Nurse Practitioner (even one with a doctorate), I want to be a doctor. But that's just me....

Thank you for the advice! How long have you been a nurse? Were you able to work and continue your BSN at the same time? The medical college which I want to apply to does not accept online degrees so I would have to do classwork full time and work. Is that the same for you?
Would you recommend going straight out of school to the ICU?
Oh, and good luck to you next year!!! :D

I am an RN (for 9 years), I begin Med school 8/4....I say start off as Med surg , get your skills and if a Doctor is what you want complete all the requirements like Chem, Physics, etc. (utilize your hospital's tuition reimbursement policy!). It will take some time but it will get done....I'll be 37 when I start.

hey...

i have been a RN now for 4 years this august... i have a bio degree and a bsn degree...

i would just get the bsn degree...there are some programs which allow you to complete an accelerated RN to BSN degree...for those with associate degrees...

u get to complete that in one one year while working---most hospitals offer reimbursements...and u can also start on the pre-med requirements...i don't know if your nursing school bio and chem requirements will fulfill the pre-med requirements...check with your school to see which version of bio and chem you had to take...
if not...you can then take one to two more years to take the requirements and study for the mcats...that leaves two-three years from now to prepare and apply... all while working, making money and gaining valuable experience...

don't let others try to disuade you with talks of how expensive school is going to be...everyone told me the same thing...because I am 26 years old..but i ended up with a full tuition scholarship for all four years to school...so there is money out there...and you can't place a value on having a fulfilling career that you desire...

as far as going straight to icu... i think that depends on the person...and what kind of background you have... i currently work in the ER...we have some new grads there and some do well (mainly those who worked as an EMT or an aide for a while)...and there are those who need more of the basic nursing foundation and confidence before mastering critical patients and the extra critical thinking skills required on the high acuity units... example ...if u r still nervous doing IV's...you aren't going to be able to get one in during a code, while the patient has no pulse...and the doctor is busy trying to intubate and can't stop to get a central line...

you can feel free to pm me if u have any specific questions about the process...

good luck:luck::luck:

I have also been an RN for the last 4 years (associates degree also). I did go straight into an ICU. I loved that type of pt. because they are so complicated. But beware...ICU nurses are absolute vultures and like to make it very hard on new grads. They don't think they belong there and think they are better than anyone else! They picked and picked at me until they drove me out. I would also suggest that you count up how many courses total that you need to take to get your Bachelor of Science degree compared to your BSN degree and choose which one you will take that way. I chose to do my B.S because it was going to work out to be almost an identical amount of courses that I would need to finish each one. Plus, I absolutely hate nursing and didn't think it was worth it to torture myself with more nursing classes and clinicals. If being a doctor was your primary goal and got into nursing for other reasons due to family situations or whatever ( like I did), you will probably hate it too. Just keep plugging towards your goal. I am 38 and am finally close to finishing up what I need. I would also definitely find a place to work that gives tuition reimbursement. You don't have to be working on your BSN to get it! If you'd like to ask me any questions you can PM me:)

Why be an MD/DO when you can just get a DNP for less time in school and still be a "doctor"?

A DNP is not a doctor and she will spend 2 more years getting her BSN and then 3 more to get her DNP. So if her dream is to be an MD she might as well do the extra year and get what she
wants.

Reactions: 1 user
Why be an MD/DO when you can just get a DNP for less time in school and still be a "doctor"?

It is definitely not the same thing. It actually would take the same amount of time. Plus, why would I want to become a DNP when I can become an MD/DO?

I stand corrected on my last post. It would be 2 years to BSN. Then 3 years to CNP (certified nurse practitioner with masters)...then 2 more years to DNP.

I am currently in an ADN RN program and will be graduating in 9 weeks. I have decided I want to continue on to medical school but don't know where to start. I have a contract with a hospital to work there for 2 years. It is advised I work on a med surg unit out of school for the experience. However, I may have an opportunity to get into the ICU when I graduate. What should I do? What would be the best experience and where would I learn more so that it would be beneficial during medical school. I know I have a long way to go, but I just want to be prepared.

Also, should I continue to get my bachelors in nursing or should I attempt an undergrad in biology or something a bit more "pre-medish"?

Any advise is appreciated! :)

Unqualified .02$.

First. To say something of vultures and how tasty your eyeballs will look. To be the new nurse--one thing. To be the new nurse who wants to go to med school...well, have you ever seen roller dirby. The Battle Axes will circle and pancake you before you figure out where the saline bags are stored.

Say nothing to nobody of your objectives. If asked what the science books are fore say your trying to get a bachelor's or masters in nursing. Be nice. Keep head low. Talk up supervising physicians. Get them to write you a letter. Store on Interfolio.

I'm a nurse's aid/premed. I think what you're attempting is great. But why not circumvent the argument that we should all stay in our assigned seats and just get a bio degree. The pre med courses will get you within striking distance of a degree in it. You'll already be getting good pay, workable scheduling and impeccable clinical experience. Why not diversify your background. The difference between nursing and medicine is science. (Hello haters)

Good luck. Med surg is where thought and hope go to die. Avoid. ICU gets you up close with better acumen to the people that can better support your eventual med school app.

Unqualified .02$.

First. To say something of vultures and how tasty your eyeballs will look. To be the new nurse--one thing. To be the new nurse who wants to go to med school...well, have you ever seen roller dirby. The Battle Axes will circle and pancake you before you figure out where the saline bags are stored.

Say nothing to nobody of your objectives. If asked what the science books are fore say your trying to get a bachelor's or masters in nursing. Be nice. Keep head low. Talk up supervising physicians. Get them to write you a letter. Store on Interfolio.

I'm a nurse's aid/premed. I think what you're attempting is great. But why not circumvent the argument that we should all stay in our assigned seats and just get a bio degree. The pre med courses will get you within striking distance of a degree in it. You'll already be getting good pay, workable scheduling and impeccable clinical experience. Why not diversify your background. The difference between nursing and medicine is science. (Hello haters)

Good luck. Med surg is where thought and hope go to die. Avoid. ICU gets you up close with better acumen to the people that can better support your eventual med school app.
Oh man, Nasrudin is so right about everything he or she said. Absolutely keep things a secret...tell them your just getting your BSN and that your only doing it cause your family is making you and then change the subject. I made that fatal mistake and man did I pay for it. Vultures and haters! This is the reason I no longer work where I did when I graduated...I was forced out as soon as they knew what my true intentions were for going back to school : ) ... and yet they are surprised that there is a nursing shortage?... haha Keep the dream going...don't quit...good luck

Thank you for the advice! How long have you been a nurse? Were you able to work and continue your BSN at the same time? The medical college which I want to apply to does not accept online degrees so I would have to do classwork full time and work. Is that the same for you?
Would you recommend going straight out of school to the ICU?
Oh, and good luck to you next year!!! :D

I was able to complete all the BSN requirements and continue working full-time. Look around at the programs in your state to see what meets your requirements. You might even have options work wise --Weekend option, etc. that would allow you take classes through the week. Nursing or biology... whichever route you decide on.

I do recommend going straight into ICU after graduation. Especially if they have a good orientation program.

I pretty much second all the advice given previously.

Generally, I would agree with the ICU thing. Go for it, but only if it's in your interests. Don't do ICU if you absolutely hate critically ill patients -- it's not worth putting yourself in misery... As a new grad you'll have tons of medical things to learn wherever you go anyway. I personally decided to get my BS in Biochem rather than nursing, but it was more of a personal decision (and I would naturally fulfill premed requirements while completing a biochem major, while I'd have to take the extra science courses with the BSN).

Also, you can tell people about your plans... everyone's always asking "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Be selective in whom you confide. I've actually told a few peeps where I work and most have been more than supportive.

Hi everyone-

I made an account on this website to read other postings and gain some insight. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have read past postings which have answered some of my questions, but I would like some direct advice.

Background info: Last month I turned 21 years old (I'm young!). I graduated last month with an Associate Degree in Applied Science of Nursing (RN). I am now working in a great CVICU and love it! However, now that I'm in the real world and see all of the opportunities before me... I feel I have settled. I don't want to feel this the rest of my life. I have a decent GPA of 3.55. I have always secretly desired to go to Med school, but did not go due to marrying at the age of 19, my husband being anti-debt, starting a family, etc. I have realized life is so short. I don't want to regret! I want to be happy in my career. Be proud of myself. To do what I truly want to do. Money isn't everything, but it is true that as a plain RN (without a NP, CNS, etc) there isn't much room for growth. I do have to think about what kind of life I want to give my family and children. It should not be the main reason to select any profession, but there is obviously a wage difference.

For me to attain my BSN, it will take me four semesters. I have about 30 hours of pre-requisites and 30 hours of the upper level "BSN" requirements. After that, I would have to take more sciences to apply and wouldn't have all of the sciences compared to other pre-med majors.

OR

I could skip being a "BSN" and go for my Bachelor of Science in Biology (the typical pre-med route) which would take me (hopefully) three years. I know it would be hard, but I want it and know I can do it. I will study hard and make the grades I need to get into med school. Plus, bring it when I have to take my MCAT.

Basically, if I get my BSN plus take all of the required sciences it would take me forever. It wouldn't matter if I didn't have a BSN, right?

I hope someone has some experience with this. I can hopefully apply to med school by the time I'm 25 if I start working hard this fall.

I plan on working as a RN in the CVICU the next two years. I know this will give me great clinical experience. I only work three twelves a week, so I will have four days a week to study and attend classes. If I have to I will go part-time at work. I work with some amazing thoracic surgeons, intensivists, etc. I know once I make the step to apply, it will not be a problem for reference letters and such. Obviously, this is a secret... so don't tell ;) I am in the beginning stages here, but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Thank you for your time and hopefully a reply!
Whitney, RN

P.S. One more question... when people discuss the post-bacc course, are the talking about having a Bachelor's in another field and taking the sciences for med school? I need to learn the jargon others are speaking... :)

Dear Witter,

Well...my chief negotiator who I usually send to figure out these things for me usually ends up taking the cash, getting drunk, and pissing on the carpet while swearing incoherently. So that I'm the least likely person to help you. Other than that I understand your dilemma quite well. And since you posted on the tail end of a thread, nobody who is more qualified is answering the call.

As to the providing of certain high caste amenities to children my opinion as a child raised by a full-time working full-time studying nurse is that you should go for what you want to do with your life. There is no better example of how one should figure out what to do with oneself that to witness the hard work and perseverance it takes to do it.

Now. Of course the expectations of family member can be an issue. I have nothing to say about that. I was a robotic stressed out freak while working full time and getting my Bio degree full-time. My relationship with my wife suffered, but has come through it. Hopefully I don't have the makings of being this guy:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrHm0-GlzI[/YOUTUBE]

"I DON'T HANDLE STRESS VERY WELL...."---cracks me up every time.

The choice that I see you having to make is what is your ultimate goal. If it's medicine than you should consider getting a Bio degree. Not because its a bad thing to have a BSN, not at all. It's just a BSN + the pre-reqs seems like a lot of extra time and effort. The hospital I worked at made little distinction between RN and BSN paywise--but I am learning the the nursing field varies widely by these measure across the country.

Also the general Bio degree I got was very efficient and flexible after completing the basic premed courses--which is the reason I majored in it instead of Spanish or History or anything else more interesting and less repetitive to things that will have to be pounded into my skull in med-school. I suppose that too could vary. Efficiency is key though. Because even though you are quite young, your investment into a career in medicine is going to long and under the constraints of the other people in your life so you should get on with it if you can.

Best of luck to you then!

Definitions:

Post-bac: Course work completed at an undergraduate level--it will count towards your all important ugrad gpa for med school admission--but after you have been awarded a baccalaureate degree in something.

Hi everyone-

I made an account on this website to read other postings and gain some insight. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have read past postings which have answered some of my questions, but I would like some direct advice.

Background info: Last month I turned 21 years old (I'm young!). I graduated last month with an Associate Degree in Applied Science of Nursing (RN). I am now working in a great CVICU and love it! However, now that I'm in the real world and see all of the opportunities before me... I feel I have settled. I don't want to feel this the rest of my life. I have a decent GPA of 3.55. I have always secretly desired to go to Med school, but did not go due to marrying at the age of 19, my husband being anti-debt, starting a family, etc. I have realized life is so short. I don't want to regret! I want to be happy in my career. Be proud of myself. To do what I truly want to do. Money isn't everything, but it is true that as a plain RN (without a NP, CNS, etc) there isn't much room for growth. I do have to think about what kind of life I want to give my family and children. It should not be the main reason to select any profession, but there is obviously a wage difference.

For me to attain my BSN, it will take me four semesters. I have about 30 hours of pre-requisites and 30 hours of the upper level "BSN" requirements. After that, I would have to take more sciences to apply and wouldn't have all of the sciences compared to other pre-med majors.

OR

I could skip being a "BSN" and go for my Bachelor of Science in Biology (the typical pre-med route) which would take me (hopefully) three years. I know it would be hard, but I want it and know I can do it. I will study hard and make the grades I need to get into med school. Plus, bring it when I have to take my MCAT.

Basically, if I get my BSN plus take all of the required sciences it would take me forever. It wouldn't matter if I didn't have a BSN, right?

I hope someone has some experience with this. I can hopefully apply to med school by the time I'm 25 if I start working hard this fall.

I plan on working as a RN in the CVICU the next two years. I know this will give me great clinical experience. I only work three twelves a week, so I will have four days a week to study and attend classes. If I have to I will go part-time at work. I work with some amazing thoracic surgeons, intensivists, etc. I know once I make the step to apply, it will not be a problem for reference letters and such. Obviously, this is a secret... so don't tell ;) I am in the beginning stages here, but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Thank you for your time and hopefully a reply!
Whitney, RN

P.S. One more question... when people discuss the post-bacc course, are the talking about having a Bachelor's in another field and taking the sciences for med school? I need to learn the jargon others are speaking... :)