Robbins...Who read it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whournameiz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone actually read that huge Robbins Pathology book during second year?

I have the Basic pathology book which is 1/3 the size and i still don't really read it.

Some people swear by it and say the big 7th edition is a must and to read the whole thing and that is how they got honors and killed the shelf etc etc etc

Does it really need to be read? How many of you read it and do u think it is necess to read for usmle?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I read big robbins 7th ed cover to cover. Also a valuable book is the supplemental question book that was written for the 7th ed. Its a must have. It worked well for me Honored Pathology; 98 on the shelf; and 242 on step I. I thought it was worth the time, but then again I never went to lecture

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone actually read that huge Robbins Pathology book during second year?

I haven't taken Step 1 yet, but for the class I have not been reading the big Robbins. I have a Pocket Robbins that I pick through instead of going to lectures, but spending about a block forcing myself to read huge Robbins was enough. Reading my course syllabus, BRS, doing Robbins Review questions, and listening to Goljan's lectures have been more than enough for me to crush the course so far.

I am with doctorfunk on that. I have honored all my classes FINE without reading robbins. At times I'll reference it with stuff I'm not sure about (okay by at times I mean ONE TIME). My boyfriend who got over 245 (under 250, cant remember exactly what), didn't touch Robbins. He actually just used FA and brs path for pathology.....not even goljan. I dont know how much I'd recommend that, but I definitely dont think that robbins is amust. I personaly do the question book which I think isgreat!

i think it all depends on the strength of ur path dept. we have a couple of profs that are geniuses. i mean they cover 98 % of the stuff from robbins and even more. but then there are others who are complete idiots, so for that read the robbins. However, to be on the afe side read the whole thing anyways (thats wat i do). and i agree with others, the robbins Qbook is gold. Oh, another thing, the webpath questions are great too. i took my neuro shelf yesterday and it seems like a fair amount i had seen either in Webpath or Qbook.

I'm trying to read it. I think it's turning out to be a big mistake. I frequently get bogged down in the tiny little details that are not tested. So, it seems like it's often not good use of time.

I go page by page and highlight and annotate parts that I think are important. That takes forever! Perhaps, I am going about this all wrong. Anyone have any other opinions? Do you guys highlight and annotate Big Robbins?

Big Robbins is a REFERENCE book. Trying to read it cover to cover is very low yield. Despite what you read on SDN there are plenty of med students who do great in Path and crush Step1 w/o having even attempted to read the Big One.

There is medium Robbins which is very good, although still excessive for class or Step1.

If you feel the need or have the discipline to study THAT much, read Harrison's or study up on EKGs or something - it'll make you a better doc.

Honestly, I think if you budget your time well, you can do both - do well in the class and on the boards....with robbins reading thrown in to boot.

our school has a system where they test us every 6 weeks. In that 6 week block, they give us assigned readings from robbins and tell us to knock ourselves out (of course, there's lectures to attend.........but I haven't been to a single lecture yet since all the material is already in robbins, plus we have a scribe service so I can read them later at my own time)

Basically, I have been treating it like a job. I get up at 8, read from from 9 to 6 (with an hr for lunch) and then chill for the rest of the night (weekends off the first 3 weeks out of the 6)
I also use other sources to 'amp' myself up for the actual robbins reading. For example, for neoplasia, I would first read BRS, then Rapid Review, do the questions on webpath and various other question sources where you can filter tests to suit your subject material (I have a LOT of those – questions are key to hammer concepts in). While I am doing this, I would takes notes and compile everything.

Once I feel like I have a good grasp on the chapter, I break out big daddy robbins...........it essentially then becomes a review of sorts with details thrown in. I take my own notes/highlight from there, add them to the notes from BRS/RR/question sources........and then to test myself, use the robbins Qbook, which I think is absolute pure gold!

This method has been working out great in every possible way. On our first test, I got 3 points lower than the highest score.......I still have my nights free (except the week before the test).........and most importantly, I transfer the relevant info from my notes into First Aid, basically annotate the crap out of it......this way, come shelf time, I just have to use my first aid and not bother with anything else (something I have been doing since first year.......that book is screaming for dear life now.........it worked for the first yr shelfs………..lets hope it pays off for the boards)

Ultimately, like I said above, it comes down to time management.........if you sit down for 7 - 8 hrs a day (like a job basically - obviously this implies that you cant go to lecture), hammer thru BRS/RR/questions and then follow up with Big Robbins.........you should be golden............not to mention it will help you for the boards..........

Cheers,
Knight

P.S. Before someone replies saying that I am a crazy gunner for doing all this........I have spent every night free to do anything I want during the first 4 weeks in our test block…….with weekends………honestly, that whole routine doesn't really take that long to do………you just have to sit and do it…..

i have a short attention span. i cannot read robbins. i get lost after 2 sentences

i am just likie youdontkonwjack....no exagerratino i think i pull open robbins every module and HOPE i can read it and i literally et through 3-4 sentences!

knightinblue, i just read your post and actually the first thing that came ot mind was NOT gunner, it was WOW.....that is so impressive that you have such discipline. granted i do attend clsss butg still i dont think i could study that much and i think that's so smart! what other ? sources do you use? i use robbins qbook as well as web path.

Members don't see this ad :)
knight are u taking any other classes?! It seems like that is your ownly class
our school does subjects in block......right now we r doing path and micro.............but micro is complete abject memorisation, not really a whole lot to understand like path...........so I set aside aside a whole day per week, memorise that weeks material and not look at it again till the "micro review day" next week

guys, seriously - 9 to 1, an hr for lunch, and 2 to 6 from mon to fri is NOT that bad! Once you get past the first week, you are in your groove and just keep plugging away.

p.s. surprisedgirl - brs/rapid review/webpath followed by big robbins and robbins Qbook is PLENTY for path......dont really need any other sources........except maybe a path atlas to look at pics...........and whattayaknow, robbins puts out a path atlas too :)..........and there's always webpath.....

some of you may have read the book from front to back, but I doubt that you can actually recall much of it.

normal people can't.

tell me more about robbin's path atlas..is web path not better since it is online.how about robbin's question book?

I am in the camp of not reading it cover to cover. However if there was a concept that I struggled with from the lecture notes or BRS didn't explain very well, then big robbins was perfect to explain what is really going on. With that plan, I've managed to ace each path exam so far.

Oh and like Knight said use robbins qbook. If you don't have it, you just screwing your self. :D

some of you may have read the book from front to back, but I doubt that you can actually recall much of it.

normal people can't.
the idea isn't to memorise it.........its to understand the path, condense and compile the relevant info and annotate it into something like first aid, so come shelf/board time, you dont have to look elsewhere

and no, BRS isn't the same thing when it comes to condensing and compiling. For example. BRS will say translocation of c-ABL from chromosome 9 next to BCR on chromose 22 is seen in chronic myeloid leukemia and that imanitib mesylate is used as a drug to treat it........but it doesn't say why. Robbins will tell you that its because the translocation causes unrestricted tyrosine kinase activity which leads to uncontrolled cell proliferation (cancer) and this in turn will help you understand why imanitib mesylate is a drug that can treat it - it controls tyrosine kinase activity..........knowing the reason will help you understand the concept that much more better and adding in that one line of reasoning into your first aid will help for boards............or so I think..............then again, I haven't taken the boards yet, so what the hell do I know.............

the idea isn't to memorise it.........its to understand the path, condense and compile the relevant info and annotate it into something like first aid, so come shelf/board time, you dont have to look elsewhere

and no, BRS isn't the same thing when it comes to condensing and compiling. For example. BRS will say translocation of c-ABL from chromosome 9 next to BCR on chromose 22 is seen in chronic myeloid leukemia and that imanitib mesylate is used as a drug to treat it........but it doesn't say why. Robbins will tell you that its because the translocation causes unrestricted tyrosine kinase activity which leads to uncontrolled cell proliferation (cancer) and this in turn will help you understand why imanitib mesylate is a drug that can treat it - it controls tyrosine kinase activity..........knowing the reason will help you understand the concept that much more better and adding in that one line of reasoning into your first aid will help for boards............or so I think..............then again, I haven't taken the boards yet, so what the hell do I know.............

I agree with this post entirely. If you're trying to memorize anything while you read Big Robbins you are wasting your time.

I found, however, that by learning the material by first reading about it (without notetaking, highlighting, underlining, etc.) in Big Robbins, it was very easy to memorize the important stuff from review books for tests.

ya. if you are just assigned to read the big robbins, that is fine, however, there are also those big pharmacology, microbiology, anatomy books, etc.

so no one can really read all the big textbooks. impossible.

Oh and like Knight said use robbins qbook. If you don't have it, you just screwing your self. :D

The Robbins review q book has been brought up and I am going to pick up a copy. Some places Ive read say that the older version is better. Are all of you using the newest edition? How do you guys incorporate using the q book with coursework?

The Robbins review q book has been brought up and I am going to pick up a copy. Some places Ive read say that the older version is better. Are all of you using the newest edition? How do you guys incorporate using the q book with coursework?
I use the newer one, mostly because the robbins text is a newer one so they follow along together. I would advise against the old one just because this one tests a lot more current relevant material, or so I think.

Basically, do a chap in robbins, then do the corresponding questions to that chapter in robbins Q book.

hmm. we have a doc weiner who does path at my school....

the old and new qbook are exactly the same except that the new book has a few more questions and a test in the back. They didn't change any of the old questions, they just added a few here and there. I just bought the old one and photocopied the test section off of the New book in our library.

I have the newest edition, I know nothing of the old one.
As far as incorporation goes, I generally use it about 2-3 days before a path exam to see if I really know what I should. All course exams follow decently close. Be aware that the questions in robbins review are not easy, so don't think your shafted for a course exam if your getting 75% correct in the qbook, that translates pretty close to an A at my school.

I stopped reading it after Chapter 3 and I thank myself for it. Go where the money is, go with class notes.

If you feel the time crunch with Pharm, Pathophys, Micro, Epi, Psych, Clinical and/or whatever else you have going on during your M2 year (like trying to fit in a Step 1 schedule), Fetal Robbins all the way!

BRS is not a replacement for any Robbins (except the atlas on its own), imo. To reiterate, I agree with those who have clearly stated reading Robbins is to get the background, overview, whatever you call it... Not to memorize Robbins. That is what the study aids are for, FIRST AID, BRS, Goljan, Lange Cards, and so on.

If someone studies Robbins Big One + Path's Rapid Review by Goljan + Goljan Bootleg audio + Robbins Q book,..................is that sufficient for step 1?

Thanks

People read Robbins? Man that is masochistic.

People read Robbins? Man that is masochistic.

:thumbup: I opened big robbins twice in second year both times to look something up in more detail that I read from goljans path book. I got an * to right side on my step 1 performance report for path (*=good performance or perfect or something like that).

I have the 1st and 2nd edition and I agree. Pictures, PE, questions, etc. all are the same really except for the additon of a few questions here and there.

the old and new qbook are exactly the same except that the new book has a few more questions and a test in the back. They didn't change any of the old questions, they just added a few here and there. I just bought the old one and photocopied the test section off of the New book in our library.

My grades went up when I stopped reading Big Robbins. In path, yes. And all subjects for that matter. It's a giant waste of time.

We have Big Robbins available online through our school's library, and it is searchable. This is a big plus -- I really only use it as a reference book. As others have said, it is great for details and explanations, but it is beyond the level of what you would be tested on for boards (and probably for your path class too).

My grades went up when I stopped reading Big Robbins. In path, yes. And all subjects for that matter. It's a giant waste of time.

Same here. I used Big Robbins and BRS for our first path test and made the lowest grade I've made in path. After our first path test, the new RR came out and I've been using that + audio + Robbins Qbook almost exclusively (I've looked up a few things in Big Robbins) and I've been doing very well. Also, webpath is pretty good but I've found it's more difficult than Robbins Qbook even though they're by the same guy.

Felicia, to answer your question about the atlas, I have it and think it's pretty good. I usually just browse through it the night before a test just to make sure I can recognize any of the pics they throw at us on the test.

:thumbup: I opened big robbins twice in second year both times to look something up in more detail that I read from goljans path book. I got an * to right side on my step 1 performance report for path (*=good performance or perfect or something like that).

How did you prepare for Path for boards?

I think the general path chapters of Robbins are worth the read, especially the mechanisms.