This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artisticdeviation998

Reaction score
University of Rochester
Pros

• Well-ranked school (top 40?) with a great match list
  • Received half in aid --> total cost would be around 160k
  • Enjoy the biopsychosocial model approach/ great research and mentoring opportunities
  • Have close friends that already attend the school, and also enjoyed the overall sense of community

Cons
  • Located in the middle of nowhere really, also it gets really cold up there
  • Far away from home, I am originally from NYC ~6 hr drive
  • Currently have recorded lectures bc of COVID but traditionally don't have these so I'm assuming they'll get rid of them come Fall

SUNY Downstate
Pros

• Located in Brooklyn, NY where I am originally from and I love it here. Would be familiar with the environment already and super close to family
  • Maybe a better chance at matching into NYC since it's known pretty well in the city? Not sure if Rochester has the same name recognition here?

Cons
  • run-down facilities
  • large class size vs Rochesters 104 students
  • not so great research opportunities --> i am contemplating pursuing a competitive specialty and would want to start research early
  • EXPENSIVE--> 78k with 0 aid but not sure if they overestimated cost of living as tuition here is only 41k as opposed to 64k at Rochester?

Summary: I would love to stay in NYC for medical school and ultimately will want to be here for residency so I do feel a pull towards downstate but not sure if I should just bite the bullet and make the move up for what seems like all around better school especially considering step 1 changing to pass/fail? Also not sure, if I'll end up having an equal chance at NYC residencies at Downstate anyway considering it has pretty good name recognition in the region?

Members don't see this ad.

Rochester >> Downstate. I don't think Downstate is overestimating the COL, Brooklyn is just super expensive. Step 1 going P/F is also huge and Rochester has a better reputation.

Follow the money, do your 4 years at Rochester, come back to NYC for residency. Plus, that area of upstate NY isn't "in the middle of nowhere," and it's actually quite nice/beautiful nature. You can obviously be successful from Downstate as well, just seems like it would be significantly more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user