Rochester vs. UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timothia17

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I would so appreciate any thoughts on my dilemma.

UConn
Pros
  • In-state tuition
  • Low cost of living due to living with parents and support from parents (home-cooked meals, help with car problems, etc.)
  • Being able to spend more time with my mom who has cancer
Cons
  • Lower rank
  • Fewer opportunities with networking, social life, and hobbies
  • Flipped classroom - not sure yet if this is a con?

University of Rochester
Pros
  • Higher rank (I'm interested most in primary care, but really want to explore everything so might end up in a more competitive specialty.)
  • Better networking, social life and opportunity to develop a specific hobby (also more time spent meeting new people and building friendships as opposed to hanging out with my parents and other people who are not my age)
  • Knowing myself, I think I would benefit from the lecture-based curriculum.
Cons
  • About 24k more expensive in total (including tuition and living expenses)
  • The winter weather
  • Being far from my mom who has cancer (she stable now, but anything could happen...)
My biggest question is whether the difference in ranking would make a difference for matching into a more competitive specialty?

Thank you so much for any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UConn. If you’re interested in primary care, it won’t make a difference and even if you become interested in something else, you’ll have opportunities. Being close to your mom during this time is too big of a factor anyhow. Wishing you both the best.

Reactions: 2 users
U Conn! Enjoy the time with your family. Even if you are interested in a super-competitive specialty (UConn has a preference for its own students for residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to UConn. If you’re interested in primary care, it won’t make a difference and even if you become interested in something else, you’ll have opportunities. Being close to your mom during this time is too big of a factor anyhow. Wishing you both the best.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
UConn. You'll make new friends in med school no matter where you go & you can find/make opportunities to get you where you want to go career-wise. But you'll never get this time with your family back if you leave.
Thank you for your thoughts!