Rockefeller University

Started by Jolt21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jolt21

I Drop Knowledge
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, i recently had an interview with RU and had a couple questions.

I read some threads about doing an MD/PhD there, but what about just working there? I am a senior and college and they came to my school to recruit and I got interviewed and i think it went fairly well. I am just interested in hearing what people have to say about being a research assitant at RU.

Currently, I am the top candidate to be a lab manager (right under the PI) at my local hospital affliated with my college, but RU is in NY and i assume its higher-quality. If i were able to get a position in a lab over there, would it be worth ti to jump ship and head to RU? I am currently working the lab i might be the manager for, and have been since fall of 07, so some relationships are already built. I wouldn't mind switching topics, so thats not an issue. My ultimate goal is to go to med school in 2 years, and i would be able to get clinical experience at my local hospital as well. Would it be possible to volunteer in a hospital in NYC on the side of working as a research assistant at RU? many questions, please help me out!
 
Would it be possible to volunteer in a hospital in NYC on the side of working as a research assistant at RU? many questions, please help me out!

I don't know about the other stuff you asked, but its definitely possible to volunteer at a hospital. I mean realistically, you're only going to volunteer 2-10 hours a week. Over the next two years that'll give you plenty of experience.

BTW, have you thought about a masters or a postbac program in the remaining time? Unless you really want some time off, which I completely understand, it might help your application. Its one thing to take time off and do find yourself or work in a different field, but if you're gonna do research it might be worthwhile to get an extra degree.
 
So, i recently had an interview with RU and had a couple questions.

I read some threads about doing an MD/PhD there, but what about just working there? I am a senior and college and they came to my school to recruit and I got interviewed and i think it went fairly well. I am just interested in hearing what people have to say about being a research assitant at RU.

Currently, I am the top candidate to be a lab manager (right under the PI) at my local hospital affliated with my college, but RU is in NY and i assume its higher-quality. If i were able to get a position in a lab over there, would it be worth ti to jump ship and head to RU? I am currently working the lab i might be the manager for, and have been since fall of 07, so some relationships are already built. I wouldn't mind switching topics, so thats not an issue. My ultimate goal is to go to med school in 2 years, and i would be able to get clinical experience at my local hospital as well. Would it be possible to volunteer in a hospital in NYC on the side of working as a research assistant at RU? many questions, please help me out!

Rockefeller is part of the TriInstitutional complex (The New York Hospital-Cornell Med. Ctr, Sloan Kettering and Rockefeller U). Naturally, the most logical hospital to volunteer would be New York Hospital, which is right next door.