ROL drafts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara_surgery

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They've started doing this on some other threads, so I thought we'd get started here. Curious as to what some of the other people out there are considering for general surgery. So, I'll start it off.

#1 - St. Luke's Roosevelt (loved the program, great feel, friendly residents, many attendings from Columbia)
#2 - Columbia (better name, but more malignant, worse location, worse feel for me)
#3 - Mt. Sinai (would be happy there)
#4 - UConn (not a great location, but got a good feel)
#5 - NYU (reportledly malignant, don't really want to end up there, but good location, and I'd prefer to be in NYC)
#6 - St. Vincent's
#7 - Yale

That's as far as I got. Would like to see some other people's list. Obviously, things change (my top 2 are pretty solid, but my other ones change every day).

Members don't see this ad.

sara_surgery said:
They've started doing this on some other threads, so I thought we'd get started here. Curious as to what some of the other people out there are considering for general surgery. So, I'll start it off.

#1 - St. Luke's Roosevelt (loved the program, great feel, friendly residents, many attendings from Columbia)
#2 - Columbia (better name, but more malignant, worse location, worse feel for me)
#3 - Mt. Sinai (would be happy there)
#4 - UConn (not a great location, but got a good feel)
#5 - NYU (reportledly malignant, don't really want to end up there, but good location, and I'd prefer to be in NYC)
#6 - St. Vincent's
#7 - Yale

That's as far as I got. Would like to see some other people's list. Obviously, things change (my top 2 are pretty solid, but my other ones change every day).

I must say, your list is interesting. I would ask yourself what it is that you're looking for in a program. Are you looking for community or academics? I'm going to make a guess that you're more interested in the "feel" of the program, looking for less malignant atmosphere, but afraid to forego training at a big name institution.

If you're looking to be happy, think long and hard about your choices and any other programs that you may not have listed here.

1. I don't have any personal experience at St Luke's or U Conn, but I hear people like the program.
  2. I would put Columbia and St Vincent's on the more malignant side, rather than less.
  3. If you want to be in NY, why not rank Mt Sinai higher? I think the program is on the friendlier side and still an academic institution.
  4. I assume that you must find the one's below UConn especially unappealing?

So, if your priority is happiness and location, perhaps consider switching Mt Sinai and Columbia. You might even consider putting U Conn above Columbia, since you didn't get a good feel there. Regarding Yale, it's hard for me to imagine ranking it below st. vincent's, but I guess it's because of location. Obviously, this has to be your choice. Just remember that you'll be there for at least 5 years, and hopefully you'll find a place where you'll be happy.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision-making.

1. Brown (great program; love New England; friendly people; felt good)
2. St. Luke's/Roosevelt (great program; friendly people; felt good; manhattan)
3. Boston University
4. Thomas Jefferson
5. UMDNJ New Brunswick
6. Stony Brook
7. Beth Israel NYC
8. Baystate
9. UMASS

Someone care to add some info to this list. Looking for good name and academics, but a general good place to be.... I'm torn

1. U. of Washington (Seattle)
2. U. of Michigan
3. U. of California - Davis
4. UT-Southwestern
5. U of Cincinnati
6. Ohio State
7. U. of North Carolina
8. Oregon Health Science Center
9. MUSC
10. U. of Minnesota (Brrrrrr, it's cold!)
11. U. of South Florida