ROLs 2006!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Since our ROLs are due in 10 days, thought I would get this thread up and going. I am happy to have finally made up my mind!

I think we should have a posting frenzy at 9 pm Eastern on Feb. 22. Of course, feel free to post them before then if you would like! :)

Best wishes everybody! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

beary said:
Hi folks!

Since our ROLs are due in 10 days, thought I would get this thread up and going. I am happy to have finally made up my mind!

I think we should have a posting frenzy at 9 pm Eastern on Feb. 22. Of course, feel free to post them before then if you would like! :)

OMG! are we down to 10 days?! I'm going to go take an anxiolytic and a PPI...

I have a quick and stupid question. On the NRMP website, when it says in green letter "CERTIFIED ROL" and you have received the e-mail confirming that you certified the rol, then you are done, right? I am being paranoid (and OCD) again :scared: . Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but when are program rank lists due? Are they also due on Feb 22?

miko2005 said:
I have a quick and stupid question. On the NRMP website, when it says in green letter "CERTIFIED ROL" and you have received the e-mail confirming that you certified the rol, then you are done, right? I am being paranoid (and OCD) again :scared: . Thanks!!

Yes, I think you are correct. Once you certify, you are good to go. If you decide to change anything, be sure to recertify.

CameronFrye said:
I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but when are program rank lists due? Are they also due on Feb 22?

Yep, they're due at the same time as ours.

beary said:
Hi folks!

Why don't you get the ball rolling?

Brian Pavlovitz said:
I'm really excited for all of you! ;) :luck:

Hmm, does this mean you may have already secured a spot for next year? ;) :thumbup:

CameronFrye said:
Hmm, does this mean you may have already secured a spot for next year? ;) :thumbup:

I guess it is one positive aspect of being considered a "foreign" medical graduate...but yes, I have indeed secured a spot for July. ;) I wasn't sure about mentioning it before while interviews were going on. I'm excited, though, as it is in my hometown--I don't have to move!

Brian Pavlovitz said:
I guess it is one positive aspect of being considered a "foreign" medical graduate...but yes, I have indeed secured a spot for July. ;) I wasn't sure about mentioning it before while interviews were going on. I'm excited, though, as it is in my hometown--I don't have to move!

Congrats Brian!! That is fabulous news!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, beary! ;) I can't wait to hear your good news in a few weeks!!

Brian Pavlovitz said:

Wow! congratulations!! :clap: I am very happy for you!

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Thanks, beary! ;) I can't wait to hear your good news in a few weeks!!

Hey Brian
Congrats on getting accepted!!!!!!!!!

It is really fantastic news indeed.....Is this hospital the one which has the grand front view of the cemetery?

Wish you all the best with the residency!

Thanks, Dr. Nick and quant!

And I think it might have a graveyard view...or at least, very close!

Is that anything like a tombstone head and a graveyard mind? :p

Seriously though, congrats on your position Brian! :thumbup:

Congrats Brian - from what I know about you you sound like a great candidate and someone they are lucky to have :thumbup:

I always thought program rank lists were due earlier than students. But maybe not.

Congrats, Brian!!! You are not going to tell us where you are going?? You already signed a contract :) .

To everyone, I have another minor question. Other than telling your first choice program that you are ranking them #1, are any of you contacting the same program later just to express interest or ask any last minute questions? I guess I am just feeling kinda nervous with my super short ROL.... :scared: :eek:

miko2005 said:
To everyone, I have another minor question. Other than telling your first choice program that you are ranking them #1, are any of you contacting the same program later just to express interest or ask any last minute questions? I guess I am just feeling kinda nervous with my super short ROL.... :scared: :eek:

I sent a #1 email but haven't, and don't intend to, do anything else.

If you have any questions, I would definitely ask them, of course.

I thought my ROL was all set but am now thinking about flipping #3 and #4. At least my #1 and 2 are still set. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much--you guys (and gals!) are wonderful! :) :thumbup:

I guess I'll have to live vicariously through all of you as far as Match Day is concerned. It's nice to know where you're going, but some of the excitement is lost.

By the way, I'll be attending SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse (AP/CP). The cat is out-of-the-bag! Though if you read my interview experience, you'd probably figure that out!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Thanks so much--you guys (and gals!) are wonderful! :) :thumbup:

I guess I'll have to live vicariously through all of you as far as Match Day is concerned. It's nice to know where you're going, but some of the excitement is lost.

By the way, I'll be attending SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse (AP/CP). The cat is out-of-the-bag! Though if you read my interview experience, you'd probably figure that out!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!

Argh
Not the one I was thinking of.....

Congrats once again Brian!

BTW, I dont have a ROL for this year, I have decided to opt out of the match.....

I feel bad since I got a couple of really positive reviews from some places....

quant said:
BTW, I dont have a ROL for this year, I have decided to opt out of the match.....

I feel bad since I got a couple of really positive reviews from some places....

quant!!! I am sorry, this is totally stupid - does this mean you took a position outside the match, or are just not doing path next year?

beary said:
quant!!! I am sorry, this is totally stupid - does this mean you took a position outside the match, or are just not doing path next year?

Nope beary....
Just not doing path next year, But Ill be the one to lead off the 2007 ROLs....
:) :)

quant said:
Nope beary....
Just not doing path next year, But Ill be the one to lead off the 2007 ROLs....
:) :)

Hi quant,
Sorry to hear that you won't be posting your ROL this year, but I am very excited to see yours next year! :luck:

quant--

Sorry to hear you won't be participating in the match, but I have no doubt your patience will be rewarded. :)

Katzenstein just gave the keynote address at the USCAP this year. Will be interesting, I suspect, to learn from her.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
quant--

Sorry to hear you won't be participating in the match, but I have no doubt your patience will be rewarded. :)

Thanks Brian
I sure hope I havent shot myself in the foot though....
oh well, one day at a time I guess..... :) :)

quant said:
Thanks Brian
I sure hope I havent shot myself in the foot though....
oh well, one day at a time I guess..... :) :)
First of all, congratulations to Brian. It must be a big relief to know that you will be training at a place you like.

Second...quant! WTF?

AngryTesticle said:
Second...quant! WTF?

:) :oops:

lots of reasons Yoda....lots!

I think you had an inkling of the same when i talked with you....

quant said:
:) :oops:

lots of reasons Yoda....lots!

I think you had an inkling of the same when i talked with you....
Don't call me yoda. Yes, I'm short but I'm not green!

Yeah, I remember now based on that conversation we had last month. I just didn't think you were gonna actually go through with not putting in a rank list :eek: Stupid me.

yaah said:
Katzenstein just gave the keynote address at the USCAP this year. Will be interesting, I suspect, to learn from her.

I agree. I'm very excited to work with her!

I pushed the button. Granted, it isn't as scary as when you send your CAF b/c you can still change the ROL. Still, it is a major milestone. Now I'm off to watch the end of the All Star game. GO EAST!

JaneDough said:
I pushed the button. Granted, it isn't as scary as when you send your CAF b/c you can still change the ROL. Still, it is a major milestone. Now I'm off to watch the end of the All Star game. GO EAST!

I certified as well, but then I changed the list and recertified. I think I'm gonna leave it as is, but I'm keeping my options open until Wednesday :laugh:

I am ranking 12 programs, which all the sudden doesn't seem like so many. The top 7 or 8 are big name programs that I think will be very tough matches this year, and the rest are smaller programs in desirable locations so I keep thinking what if I drop down and just keep dropping...dropping...all the way past #12... :eek: I'm now regretting turning down a couple interviews...oh well nothing to do now but wait.

ChipLeader said:
I certified as well, but then I changed the list and recertified. I think I'm gonna leave it as is, but I'm keeping my options open until Wednesday :laugh:

I am ranking 12 programs, which all the sudden doesn't seem like so many. The top 7 or 8 are big name programs that I think will be very tough matches this year, and the rest are smaller programs in desirable locations so I keep thinking what if I drop down and just keep dropping...dropping...all the way past #12... :eek: I'm now regretting turning down a couple interviews...oh well nothing to do now but wait.

Congrats ChipLeader and JaneDough on pushing the button! I have certified and recertified twice. :rolleyes:

I am only ranking 7, and I am nervous about it too! I regret turning down some interviews too.

I would really like to go to one of my top 2 choices. I can't wait to see everybody's lists on Wednesday! :)

I'm a member of the certified ROL club too.. My list ended up quite a bit different from what I expected it to be earlier this summer (or when I started interviews, for that matter). Are we going to use this thread for our mad posting frenzy, or tack onto the one from last year?

Congrats to all who have certified. I'm glad to have joined the club. I can't wait until Wednesday just so I can stop debating whether or not I should go back in and change things around. I too have to say things ended up a little different than what I had expected before I started interviewing. Wednesday should be exciting.

Aubrey said:
Are we going to use this thread for our mad posting frenzy, or tack onto the one from last year?

I think we should have our own lists in this thread. :cool:

I only ranked 9. I can't decide if it is worse to scramble or match at a program that you HATED on your interview. :confused:

JaneDough said:
I only ranked 9. I can't decide if it is worse to scramble or match at a program that you HATED on your interview. :confused:
Both situations suck. You ranked 9. Chances are very good that you will match. Best of luck.

I am only ranking 3 programs :eek:. I was told that I am "ranked to match" by my #1 program and I have managed to convince myself that I could only be happy there. I really hope that this will all work out...I will be devastated if I don't match. Now you can all feel better about the length of your ROL :) . I wish it was Wednesday already...or better yet, monday (march 13).... :scared:

Congrats to you certifiers!

Sending you all good thoughts *raises glass* ;)

Hmm, I guess I better get on this. I have finally decided on a ROL, but I haven't plugged it in yet.

JaneDough said:

I went on 8 interviews and am only ranking 7 - I am not ranking the one that I hated.

But for some reason I am ranking the one that hated me. :rolleyes:

CameronFrye said:
Hmm, I guess I better get on this. I have finally decided on a ROL, but I haven't plugged it in yet.

Congrats Cameron! You still have 46 hours. :D

I am so excited for Wednesday!

JaneDough said:

I can't say there were any programs that I absolutely hated during interviews, but there were a couple programs that I clearly wouldn't be as happy with. After much deliberation I decided to rank these anyway (at the end of the list of course) since the bottom line remains that I'd rather match at them vs. go unmatched. Of course I could go unmatched anyway...Regardless, the whole "would you rather attend program x or go unmatched" was the most difficult part of certifying my ROL.

Beary - what program was this that you hated so much? Share the knowledge so that if it's one I visited I can cross them off the list ;) .

ChipLeader said:
Beary - what program was this that you hated so much? Share the knowledge so that if it's one I visited I can cross them off the list ;) .

All will be revealed in 43 hours. ;) Thank you for sharing in the hate. :)

*suspense builds*

Edit: I initially read that as "which program hated you." :laugh: I will PM you with the program I hated.

I already know the one that hates you Beary, and don't you worry I hate them too. I didn't even apply/interview there, but I hate 'em. :D

ChipLeader said:
I already know the one that hates you Beary, and don't you worry I hate them too. I didn't even apply/interview there, but I hate 'em. :D

I thought you knew the one that hated me. That was why I was so confused. Guess I have been so filled with hate for the beary haters that I am losing my mind. :oops: