Ros Franklin vs MUO(now U of Toledo)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN007B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS in Biomedical Sciences for RFU or MS in Medical Sciences for MUO? Which would you pick, and why? Ros Franklin seems to have better match results IMO. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

RN007B said:
MS in Biomedical Sciences for RFU or MS in Medical Sciences for MUO? Which would you pick, and why? Ros Franklin seems to have better match results IMO. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I personally would go to RFU. Great match list. Nice city. Good curriculum.

deep throat said:
I personally would go to RFU. Great match list. Nice city. Good curriculum.

Thanks deep throat. That really sounds wrong btw. lol

Anyways, I figured I'd save at least 50K going to MUO. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about MUO? Who is going? What's the school like? Toledo itself?

Any helpful comments appreciated.

snakesonaplane said:
Does anyone know anything about MUO? Who is going? What's the school like? Toledo itself?

Any helpful comments appreciated.

The campus is alright, but it's in a very ghetto area.

rob14599 said:
The campus is alright, but it's in a very ghetto area.

Have you actually been to the campus and the surrounding neighborhood? It isn't one of the suburbs, but it's far from ghetto. The campus is one of the nicest med school campuses in the country. Of the 10 or 15 med schools I've been to it's probably the nicest campus of any, and with the exception of Michigan it's in the safest neighborhood.

Hallm_7 said:
Have you actually been to the campus and the surrounding neighborhood? It isn't one of the suburbs, but it's far from ghetto. The campus is one of the nicest med school campuses in the country. Of the 10 or 15 med schools I've been to it's probably the nicest campus of any, and with the exception of Michigan it's in the safest neighborhood.

I've been to the U of Toledo undergraduate campus (maybe the Medical School is in a different area, in which case I couldn't say). I took my MCAT at the undergrad campus and it is next to a not-so-nice area. I assumed the medical school was either there or nearby, but I am probably wrong. Disregard my previous comments (unless you are planning on attending the undergrad campus). :laugh:

Hallm_7 said:

I am thinking about attending the MUO biomedical program. Do you know or does anyone know anything about Toledo? Is it as bad as people say? I was born and raised in the south and went to undergrad in the south, so I'm hoping going to Toledo isn't going to be a huge adjustment.

OP, I really don't know anything about the MUO program, but I certainly wouldn't go and spend thousands more on the RFU program when the previous linkage it had with the medical school has now been eliminated.

FYI from RFU..

Faculty and Staff,

The Department of Interprofessional Healthcare Studies in the College of Health Professions would like to announce that the NEW Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (BMS) welcomed the first class today. The BMS program is designed to prepare students to continue their graduate education in a variety of healthcare professions including dentistry, healthcare management, nutrition, physical therapy, allopathic, osteopathic and podiatric medicine and physician assistant studies, by providing a rigorous background in the biomedical sciences. In addition, the program provides an opportunity for students to earn a certificate in one of the following fields: healthcare management, nutrition, clinical research, and woman’s health.

With this purpose in mind, anyone in the BMS program may apply to any of the other programs at Rosalind Franklin University and their application will be considered along with every other application. Future admittance to any other RFUMS program or school is independent of completing this program, receiving a degree or certificate in it, or academic performance in it. There is no guarantee of admittance to other University schools or programs including the Chicago Medical School. If questions arise regarding this topic please refer the student to Dr. Pullen or Dr. Tappert.

Please join us in welcoming our first class to Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.

MUO/UT Health Science Campus is located about 10 minutes south (5 miles or so) of the University of Toledo Main Campus. You're right a lot of the UT-Main Campus isn't is the nicest part of town. To the west and north of it is Ottawa Hills (arguably the most exclusive part of Metro Toledo) and Old Orchard (another nice neighborhood), but to the east and south it is pretty ghetto. The Health Science Campus is in South Toledo which is middle class and very safe.

snakesonaplane said:
I am thinking about attending the MUO biomedical program. Do you know or does anyone know anything about Toledo? Is it as bad as people say? I was born and raised in the south and went to undergrad in the south, so I'm hoping going to Toledo isn't going to be a huge adjustment.

You sound like me. I grew up in the South and went to undergrad in the South as well. It's definitely different, that's for sure. I miss the South a lot, but I've enjoyed my time here. This part of the country isn't growing very fast (unlike the South) so things are a lot older and maybe not quite as nice (like downtown, the malls, the apartments, etc), but the people are really nice and the school is great IMO. Toledo isn't known for it's nightlife and other activities, but there is still plenty to do and you shouldn't get bored.