Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We do not know yet, and the 50% is not the final number. However, I did hear that CMS students performed a little worse this year on their Step 1 and the CMS admissions office is becoming more restrictive in terms of admissions. BMS Students who did not get in (so far) had at least one C in their medical school courses.

Could any previous BMSers Verify this?

Members don't see this ad.

Some rejections from CMS went out today. I have no estimate on how many. Good luck to everyone remaining on waitlist for BMS program and to BMS students waiting to hear about their fate from CMS.

Last edited:
We do not know yet, and the 50% is not the final number. However, I did hear that CMS students performed a little worse this year on their Step 1 and the CMS admissions office is becoming more restrictive in terms of admissions. BMS Students who did not get in (so far) had at least one C in their medical school courses.

Not directed at Kyle MAdison, but simply adding to the question:

So if what you are saying is true, CMS is practically indirectly blaming the lower Step 1 score on the BMS students? Do CMS have data to support this notion? Until CMS is transparent in presenting data that suggest BMS students were the culprit, the director of admissions committee at CMS is simply using the BMS as a scapegoat. Sounds like profound bias and abuse of power from someone who isn't responsible enough to be in a position of power.

If true, how arrogant and unprofessional can the admissions committee be when the CMS stresses so much on inter-professional team work and professionalism? Isn't it ironic..........

BTW, I am not a BMS student and never was......As a normal applicant, a lot of us are frustrated by CMS's lack of communication and perpetual "hold" and "wait-list" status that has lasted months without explanation and updates whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not directed at Kyle MAdison, but simply adding to the question:

So if what you are saying is true, CMS is practically indirectly blaming the lower Step 1 score on the BMS students? Do CMS have data to support this notion? Until CMS is transparent in presenting data that suggest BMS students were the culprit, the director of admissions committee at CMS is simply using the BMS as a scapegoat. Sounds like profound bias and abuse of power from someone who isn't responsible enough to be in a position of power.

If true, how arrogant and unprofessional can the admissions committee be when the CMS stresses so much on inter-professional team work and professionalism? Isn't it ironic..........

BTW, I am not a BMS student and never was......As a normal applicant, a lot of us are frustrated by CMS's lack of communication and perpetual "hold" and "wait-list" status that has lasted months without explanation and updates whatsoever.

lol. look how angry this guy is. Sounds like someone's just sour bc they cant get in.

You have no clue what you're talking about. All your doing is speculating and taking your frustrations out on a message board.

If you're not a BMS applicant then gtfo this thread unless you have substantial information to add or unless you can offer current applicants advice and help.

lol. look how angry this guy is. Sounds like someone's just sour bc they cant get in.

You have no clue what you're talking about. All your doing is speculating and taking your frustrations out on a message board.

If you're not a BMS applicant then gtfo this thread unless you have substantial information to add or unless you can offer current applicants advice and help.

BelieveInMe has a valid point here though. I know tons of people who had straight B's and got a rejection letter yesterday. This year so many things have changed and all they're saying is "it varies year by year" but seriously, this year we had the largest number of BMS students to start off with, and yet the lowest number to be accepted. The accepted rate hasn't been this low historically. There are few people who got waitlisted so we can't know the exact number yet but it seems like the class is full so far.
So "as long as you have all B's you're fine" doesn't work anymore guys so don't try to aim for B's but aim for A's. I know few people who got in with some C's and didn't get in with some A's so their admission criteria is very unpredictalbe nor transparent. It's been a stressful year for me and to watch my friends still waiting for their accpetance until now. If this is the total number of BMS students they've accepted this year, I wouldn't encourage people to come to BMS. We started off with more than 130 students and not even 50% of them ended up getting accepted so their 70% linkage can't be trusted now (unless more people get accepted from now on).

People on the facebook group are citing a 50-60% number. Does RFU give out the actual numbers of BMS students who were accepted or is it mainly guesswork?

People on the facebook group are citing a 50-60% number. Does RFU give out the actual numbers of BMS students who were accepted or is it mainly guesswork?

RFU does not give us actual numbers about how many BMSers were accepted. If you ask during orientation week, and you're lucky, they will give you an approximate number, or a range of numbers.

Unfortunately, some of my friends were rejected by CMS yesterday. It was painful to hear that they won't be joining us next year. I can't imagine how it must feel for them. Please take my friends' fates as a cautionary tale: receiving Straight B's in medical school courses is no longer enough, and if anyone tells you it is enough, then please ignore that opinion. About 60 BMSers were admitted this year. I recall from our last Tips class that there were 107 students there, so you do the math. Although I can understand Fegbert's opinion, I would still do the program over again because I was not a great applicant by any means but was still accepted because of my grades(A's in everything but a B in physiology). Obviously, it is sad to hear that the program has become more selective, but the fact still remains that you have a better chance of being accepted into CMS through this program than if you were just a generic applicant.

Also, please read my recent rating of the program in the "Rate your SMP" stickied thread.

-M

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with forward_backward. I was a BMS student this year and had straight B's in the medical school courses and A's in everything else. I also had a great interview. I was rejected yesterday.

BelieveInMe may not have been a BMS student, but the criticism is valid. CMS was silent to most of us since December, leaving us to wonder for 6 months what was going on.

I went into this program with the expectation that I would have a clean slate. This is absolutely not the case anymore. The other components of the AMCAS (I have a 2.9 UG GPA) have a far greater impact than they used to. However, this is only my assumption considering that several students with C's were admitted. I would not go through with this program if I could do it over again.

First of all I would like to say that I sympathize with your situation. Investing all of that time, money and effort into the program without a successful admission must be heartbreaking.

Now that I've said that, are you surprised you weren't accepted? An smp is a gpa redemption program. You had below a B average in undergrad. That's really, really bad. You came to do the program with the hopes of proving to the adcom that your undergrad grades are not representative of your abilities. After completing the smp, you proved yet again that you are a B student, you couldn't even get one A. The only A's you managed were in your non-med fluff classes that artificially buffer your gpa.

Roll play: I'm on the adcom looking at your app. I see a below 3.0 uGPA, a significantly below average student. You comes to my smp and show yet again that you are below average. This is a medical school and they are trying to give you all the benefit of the doubt, but all you've proven is that you're below average. Think about the thousands of above average applicants above and below your application in the pile of apps on the table.

Even if they let in less than half, that could still be like 60 students ... which is a lot. I guarantee the majority of those accepted were above average to killing it in the program and they deserved it. Then you have the people who may be non-traditional, URM's, female URM's, or even better, non-traditional female URM's who maybe get spots from more deserving BMS students.

Overall your application is mediocre at best. Technically a medical school shouldn't even humor the idea of discussing your app, so you're lucky you even got that far.

I would say that this is still a viable program.

First of all I would like to say that I sympathize with your situation. Investing all of that time, money and effort into the program without a successful admission must be heartbreaking.

Now that I've said that, are you surprised you weren't accepted? An smp is a gpa redemption program. You had below a B average in undergrad. That's really, really bad. You came to do the program with the hopes of proving to the adcom that your undergrad grades are not representative of your abilities. After completing the smp, you proved yet again that you are a B student, you couldn't even get one A. The only A's you managed were in your non-med fluff classes that artificially buffer your gpa.

Roll play: I'm on the adcom looking at your app. I see a below 3.0 uGPA, a significantly below average student. You comes to my smp and show yet again that you are below average. This is a medical school and they are trying to give you all the benefit of the doubt, but all you've proven is that you're below average. Think about the thousands of above average applicants above and below your application in the pile of apps on the table.

Even if they let in less than half, that could still be like 60 students ... which is a lot. I guarantee the majority of those accepted were above average to killing it in the program and they deserved it. Then you have the people who may be non-traditional, URM's, female URM's, or even better, non-traditional female URM's who maybe get spots from more deserving BMS students.

Overall your application is mediocre at best. Technically a medical school shouldn't even humor the idea of discussing your app, so you're lucky you even got that far.

I don't think that was his/her point (whether or not they deserved to get in). Rather I think the issue is

A) lack of communication from CMS to BMS and
B) HISTORICALLY he/she would've been accepted.

It's like signing up to play a game and finding out the rules changed. So it's perfectly reasonable for them to be surprised at a rejection. Whether or not they deserved it is a different story, one we could argue about to no avail for days.

Still. 60/107 = 56% (if that's true) is a much better bet than the general applicant pool.

Master2Doc, for your information, I have been admitted to UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, UC San Diego School of Medicine, Tufts Medical School and lastly, NY Medical College. Of course, I was admitted off of waiting list after the May 15, 2014 universal deadline in each of these respective schools. In addition, I have been wait-listed at several other schools including CMS. All medical schools I have been admitted into so far are of much higher caliber research institutions, have better rankings than CMS and much more organized in terms of the university administration. In fact CMS is not even ranked and was placed on probation by LCME just this past year, albeit for ridiculous reasons. However, my frustration is not in the LCME probation status, non-existant ranking of the university or lack of research opportunities, etc. because none of that matters to me.

What matters to me is I was born and raised in Chicago. Attended University of Chicago Law School and practiced law here in Chicago for 10 years prior to making a transition into medicine. I want to remain in Chicago and for CMS to not give us a heads up on the status of our application other than a "Hold" and then a "Wait-list" is absurd after so many months. I have kids and a husband and while attending better schools out-of-state is great, it is not convenient. All application process are uncertain, but there is no excuse for lacking communication between the admissions office and applicants.

Many of us in the normal applicant pool are frustrated due to lack of communication and not so much due to being wait-listed. During interview CMS gave all of us a 4-8 weeks period where the admissions office will notify applicants of our results. We have waited over 10weeks, some 15 weeks, and others 20 weeks without a single status update beyond "hold" or "wait-listed". When we call the admissions office, phones are rarely picked up and messages are rarely responded to. When we do actually get a living being on the phone, we are told "your application is still under consideration and other updates are not available". Again, this lack of communication for months on end is unacceptable.

As for you Master2Doc, you have a MCAT that is below 28. If you are applying to medical school, I hope you are admitted somewhere (perhaps CMS) and if you will be applying this cycle as an incoming BMS student, I hope CMS will treat you better than the rest of us applicants. I have no beef with you and I wish you luck and success.

Hey Freddo, let say hypothetically that there were extenuating circumstances that prevented him/her from performing well. Don't you think you are quick to judge? Also, unless you are on the admissions committee, I don't think you are in any position to tell him/her that their application is mediocre at best.

Relax and let everyone speak freely without your over zealous judgement or lack of better judgement.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Master2Doc, for your information, I have been admitted to UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, UC San Diego School of Medicine, Tufts Medical School and lastly, NY Medical College. Of course, I was admitted off of waiting list after the May 15, 2014 universal deadline in each of these respective schools. In addition, I have been wait-listed at several other schools including CMS. All medical schools I have been admitted into so far are of much higher caliber research institutions, have better rankings than CMS and much more organized in terms of the university administration. In fact CMS is not even ranked and was placed on probation by LCME just this past year, albeit for ridiculous reasons. However, my frustration is not in the LCME probation status, non-existant ranking of the university or lack of research opportunities, etc. because none of that matters to me.

What matters to me is I was born and raised in Chicago. Attended University of Chicago Law School and practiced law here in Chicago for 10 years prior to making a transition into medicine. I want to remain in Chicago and for CMS to not give us a heads up on the status of our application other than a "Hold" and then a "Wait-list" is absurd after so many months. I have kids and a husband and while attending better schools out-of-state is great, it is not convenient. All application process are uncertain, but there is no excuse for lacking communication between the admissions office and applicants.

Many of us in the normal applicant pool are frustrated due to lack of communication and not so much due to being wait-listed. During interview CMS gave all of us a 4-8 weeks period where the admissions office will notify applicants of our results. We have waited over 10weeks, some 15 weeks, and others 20 weeks without a single status update beyond "hold" or "wait-listed". When we call the admissions office, phones are rarely picked up and messages are rarely responded to. When we do actually get a living being on the phone, we are told "your application is still under consideration and other updates are not available". Again, this lack of communication for months on end is unacceptable.

As for you Master2Doc, you have a MCAT that is below 28. If you are applying to medical school, I hope you are admitted somewhere (perhaps CMS) and if you will be applying this cycle as an incoming BMS student, I hope CMS will treat you better than the rest of us applicants. I have no beef with you and I wish you luck and success.

So you hold multiple acceptances to some of the best medical schools across the country and you came to a post-bacc thread to complain bc the CMS won't let you in?!?!

Unreal.

I hate to break it to you Mrs. JD but many medical schools are very vague during the admissions process, that's just the way it is.
Again, this is a BMS thread not a CMS thread and your frustrations with the general application pool to the CMS adds absolutely nothing to the conversation in this thread. The fact that you're posting in a post-bacc thread knocking my MCAT score while you boast about your JD and multiple acceptances is very telling about the type to doctor you will become.

So you hold multiple acceptances to some of the best medical schools across the country and you came to a post-bacc thread to complain bc the CMS won't let you in?!?!

Unreal.

I hate to break it to you Mrs. JD but many medical schools are very vague during the admissions process, that's just the way it is.
Again, this is a BMS thread not a CMS thread and your frustrations with the general application pool to the CMS adds absolutely nothing to the conversation in this thread. The fact that you're posting in a post-bacc thread knocking my MCAT score while you boast about your JD and multiple acceptances is very telling about the type to doctor you will become.

Relax Master2Doc. Like I said before, I have no beef with you. I do hold multiple acceptances elsewhere, but I am a native Chicagoland resident and prefer to be in Chicago if at all possible.

Again, its the lack of communication, not the vagueness, not the wait-list, etc. Anyhow, rather than arguing with you when no argument is to be had, simply let it go....I understand it might be hard for you, but try and you might succeed. Take a deep breath while you are at it.

Also, good luck on your application. I wasn't trying to knock on your MCAT. I simply stated a fact that you had posted in another forum. Hence why I said if you applied this cycle, I hope you are admitted somewhere and if you are applying via BMS Program, I hope CMS treats you better than the applicants this year.
Anyhow, good luck and I hope you have better success at CMS or where ever you are applying.

I agree with forward_backward. I was a BMS student this year and had straight B's in the medical school courses and A's in everything else. I also had a great interview. I was rejected yesterday.

BelieveInMe may not have been a BMS student, but the criticism is valid. CMS was silent to most of us since December, leaving us to wonder for 6 months what was going on.

I went into this program with the expectation that I would have a clean slate. This is absolutely not the case anymore. The other components of the AMCAS (I have a 2.9 UG GPA) have a far greater impact than they used to. However, this is only my assumption considering that several students with C's were admitted. I would not go through with this program if I could do it over again.

sorry about the rejection. what is your plan now?

Relax Master2Doc. Like I said before, I have no beef with you. I do hold multiple acceptances elsewhere, but I am a native Chicagoland resident and prefer to be in Chicago if at all possible.

Again, its the lack of communication, not the vagueness, not the wait-list, etc. Anyhow, rather than arguing with you when no argument is to be had, simply let it go....I understand it might be hard for you, but try and you might succeed. Take a deep breath while you are at it.

Also, good luck on your application. I wasn't trying to knock on your MCAT. I simply stated a fact that you had posted in another forum. Hence why I said if you applied this cycle, I hope you are admitted somewhere and if you are applying via BMS Program, I hope CMS treats you better than the applicants this year.
Anyhow, good luck and I hope you have better success at CMS or where ever you are applying.

If you're holding other acceptances at these top schools, CMS knows that you've been accepted elsewhere. So what are the chances that they're going to pull you off the waitlist?

Their acceptance yield is pretty low as it is; at this point, I don't think they're willing to risk dropping their % even lower by accepting you. Just my opinion.

If you're holding other acceptances at these top schools, CMS knows that you've been accepted elsewhere. So what are the chances that they're going to pull you off the waitlist?

Their acceptance yield is pretty low as it is; at this point, I don't think they're willing to risk dropping their % even lower by accepting you. Just my opinion.

You may very well be right. That is actually my biggest fear as well right now. Seeing how BMS is struggling to get in this year, it is heart breaking as well since now those who were rejected have a huge debt.

I have sent letters into admissions office indicating location is my driving force in selecting a medical campus and not ranking, or cost, etc. I saved enough practicing law to not need financial aid so cost is not a factor at all. I am not sure what more I can do since feedback is at an all time low here . It is really too bad......

Congrats on such a successful application cycle! Very nice accomplishment. If you're still holding all these spots, it would mean a lot to the waitlist community if you could release any of them as soon as you know that you wouldn't attend it over your other acceptances. Many people are still anxiously waiting to get accepted and it would mean a great deal for them to find out sooner and be saved from the limbo hell known as med school waitlist. Movement on any waitlist sets off a chain reaction and helps everybody. I dont mean to pressure you- just something to think about if you hadn't yet.

Once again, congrats on your success and i hope you make it into CMS to stay near your family. Best of luck to you!

I have quite a number of friends including my cousin who was in the BMS program this year, and only one of them made it to CMS. I'm not sure if there has been any changes in their admission system, but many regret coming to this program as they all had thought the chance of getting into CMS was high.

I think BMS at RFUMS this year messed up hugely with their BMS students this year y. 50% at best is what they're taking to the CMS program!

FYI: My cousin is now looking for a DO program, which I think is a great option for him..

There are people who still didn't get in (waitlisted) with a few A's and B's and considering the M1 average for medidcal classes is around 85% (except for Neuroscience which was closer to 80). I feel bad for those people who showed they were above average and yet didn't get acceptance .Yes, there are multiple factors that play roles in admission and that's why I'm telling people to not aim for B's but to aim for A's if you really want to do BMS and get into CMS. There are people who got in with 1 or 2 C's, yet rejected with all B's so you really don't want to put yourself in that position and risk your future.

Roll Play: I got into BMS and everyone's telling me "70% of BMS will marticulate to CMS, as long as you get Bs you're safe to get in". You come to BMS and get some A's and B's. You feel you're confident about marticulating into CMS. There are many people who got at least 1 C so you think you're well above the average even thought you didn't get all As.

Few months later, you hear that you got rejected even though other people with lower stats got in. You now regret that "once you're in a BMS program, you're starting from scratch because your BMS grades matter the most and as long as you do well in this program you should be fine". They don't just look at your BMS grades, they look at everything (your MCAT, your undergraduate GPA, your interview, your ECs, etc). So for those people who think they're starting this program with a clean slate, I'd think that twice before coming here (this year is a clear proof).

Congrats on such a successful application cycle! Very nice accomplishment. If you're still holding all these spots, it would mean a lot to the waitlist community if you could release any of them as soon as you know that you wouldn't attend it over your other acceptances. Many people are still anxiously waiting to get accepted and it would mean a great deal for them to find out sooner and be saved from the limbo hell known as med school waitlist. Movement on any waitlist sets off a chain reaction and helps everybody. I dont mean to pressure you- just something to think about if you hadn't yet.

Once again, congrats on your success and i hope you make it into CMS to stay near your family. Best of luck to you!

Bev90, I understand your sentiment and definitely agree with where you are coming from. At this point, I have UCLA David Geffen Medical School as the school with an intent to register status. The others gave me 2 weeks to decide or change my mind since I was admitted post May 15, 2014 universal deadline. I am holding on to hope that I will be able to stay in Chicago and get off of CMS waiting list. I seriously hope CMS communicate with us more openly no matter if we are normal applicants or applicants from the BMS program.

There are people who still didn't get in (waitlisted) with a few A's and B's and considering the M1 average for medidcal classes is around 85% (except for Neuroscience which was closer to 80). I feel bad for those people who showed they were above average and yet didn't get acceptance .Yes, there are multiple factors that play roles in admission and that's why I'm telling people to not aim for B's but to aim for A's if you really want to do BMS and get into CMS. There are people who got in with 1 or 2 C's, yet rejected with all B's so you really don't want to put yourself in that position and risk your future.

Roll Play: I got into BMS and everyone's telling me "70% of BMS will marticulate to CMS, as long as you get Bs you're safe to get in". You come to BMS and get some A's and B's. You feel you're confident about marticulating into CMS. There are many people who got at least 1 C so you think you're well above the average even thought you didn't get all As.

Few months later, you hear that you got rejected even though other people with lower stats got in. You now regret that "once you're in a BMS program, you're starting from scratch because your BMS grades matter the most and as long as you do well in this program you should be fine". They don't just look at your BMS grades, they look at everything (your MCAT, your undergraduate GPA, your interview, your ECs, etc). So for those people who think they're starting this program with a clean slate, I'd think that twice before coming here (this year is a clear proof).

I also know someone who was waitlisted at CMS and she just graduated BMS with all Bs and a few As.

Unless BMS eventually make those waitlisters with As and Bs get into CMS this year, the program will suffer a lot as it's not a good school to choose anymore..

I also know someone who was waitlisted at CMS and she just graduated BMS with all Bs and a few As.

Unless BMS eventually make those waitlisters with As and Bs get into CMS this year, the program will suffer a lot as it's not a good school to choose anymore..

Well look, unless your friend posts here, you don't know that he/she had Bs and As. Maybe all her As were in the track courses and not in the substantive classes. Don't you think it's annoying when people who aren't even assoc. with or applied to the school post second hand information about such things?

To all the BMSers that were rejected...I am sorry. If you could tell us your stats then it would be very helpful to future BMSers that will be taking on the difficult, year-long task of getting into medical school. The silver lining is that you guys got a Master's degree and can still complete the HCAM/Nutrition/HPE masters degreess.

Reactions: 1 users
If CMS is placing an increased emphasis on AMCAS application, it would have been nice if RFUMS raised the standards of admission for the BMS program to keep the linkage in the ballpark of previous years.

Now that I've said that, are you surprised you weren't accepted?

Considering you've more or less led the crusade against EVMS bait-and-switching, why are you so defensive of RFU's alleged bait-and-switch? I completely understand your point regarding performance, but RFU has had a "forum reputation" for ignoring uGPA/MCAT provided that you got Bs or better in the med courses. Perhaps the "forum reputation" was wrong, but considering that these programs are not exactly transparent, you can't really be surprised when you attend a program with expectation A and you receive experience B.

reading these posts makes me depressed as a future BMS student

reading these posts makes me depressed as a future BMS student

Same here. I still have my BU MAMS seat in case something like this were to happen to the BMS program, but I've already set up my housing situation at RFU and was pretty much set on the program. Not sure if BU MAMS would be the smarter option for me now...

Same here. I still have my BU MAMS seat in case something like this were to happen to the BMS program, but I've already set up my housing situation at RFU and was pretty much set on the program. Not sure if BU MAMS would be the smarter option for me now...

so much uncertainty and unofficial sources makes it so hard to decide.

Well look, unless your friend posts here, you don't know that he/she had Bs and As. Maybe all her As were in the track courses and not in the substantive classes. Don't you think it's annoying when people who aren't even assoc. with or applied to the school post second hand information about such things?
I'm not Reddishh's friend but I'm a former BMS student. I received A's in Biochme and CMCB and B's in Physio and Neuro. I was waitlisted this week and frankly, I'm happy that I'm even waitlisted seeing how bunch of people with all Bs got rejected. If you don't believe me I can privately send you my transcript. People dont talk about As in their track courses because literally everyone gets above 95% in them.

P.S I see that you're not even in the BMS program yet so don't judge on this program before even coming here. Some people who had all A's did not get accepted until the program was over and there were so many people with couple of A's that were waitlisted or got in end of May/early June.

Last edited:
Would those of you who are currently waitlisted/rejected mind giving your GPA and MCAT stats? Y'all are saying the rest of the AMCAS app seems to make a big difference this year and this information might help us future BMS students see if that's true.

It is really a shame how uncertain this program is. No one on SDN is on the admissions a committee so we can not tell you what is the best decision for u to make, we can only tell you our experience. I am a former BMS student that got into CMS mid may (second round). I earned all B's and a C in neuroscience. I was honestly shocked when I got in. Even more so now that I hear of more and more people with A's and no C's that have gotten flat out rejected. Granted, I declined my offer from CMS and will be attending another school, but my heart goes out to everyone who is still waiting.

Would those of you who are currently waitlisted/rejected mind giving your GPA and MCAT stats? Y'all are saying the rest of the AMCAS app seems to make a big difference this year and this information might help us future BMS students see if that's true.

this would be nice to know and help some of us future BMS students make a more informed decision.

@SoonToBeDoc22 do you believe it was something in your AMCAS application that gave you an advantage? good mcat? good ECs? non-trad applicant

My undergraduate GPA is 3.6, MCAT 30, decent EC, felt good about the interview. This is why it's frustrating because I thought all the other parts of AMCAS app were okay. Had 2 A's and 2B's and waitlisted. It could be that they emphasized heavily on other factors, something I can't control, such as gender and race. Honestly, I don't know what they're looking for anymore.

I'm not Reddishh's friend but I'm a former BMS student. I received A's in Biochme and CMCB and B's in Physio and Neuro. I was waitlisted this week and frankly, I'm happy that I'm even waitlisted seeing how bunch of people with all Bs got rejected. If you don't believe me I can privately send you my transcript. People dont talk about As in their track courses because literally everyone gets above 95% in them.

P.S I see that you're not even in the BMS program yet so don't judge on this program before even coming here. Some people who had all A's did not get accepted until the program was over and there were so many people with couple of A's that were waitlisted or got in end of May/early June.

Wow I'm very sorry to hear about this. For a while I didn't believe that people with As aren't getting in. Were your Bs in physiology and neuroscience towards the lower end though? It is becoming more apparent that CMS is actually able to tell the difference between an 85 and an 80. I find it hard to believe that CMS would accept people with 2 C's. I know people with a C in neuro that CMS accepted and that's because they got As in other classes and got in before the 3rd wave which was before they had the chance to review our overall grades.

Not sure if you were referring to my post above so I just want to clarify….The intent of my testimony was not to say that one can or can not get into CMS with "sub-par" grades. It goes without saying that it's better to have an A than a C…
Rather, I was hoping to emphasize the fact that CMS indeed looks at the entire applicant and not just grades. Of course we all try to do our best and 'give it all we got', but sometimes those efforts still do not result in earning an 'A' in the course. I was simply just trying to encourage anyone that might be in a situation like the one I was in to not lose hope. Matter of fact, I also got into two "Top 20" schools with my 'sub-par' scores and my mediocre BMS grades. So in the end, yes, getting straight A's and an excellent MCAT makes life soooo much easier…but it's not the be all end all. Aim high, but if you fall short, just dust yourself off and keep on moving….

Congrats to my BMS classmates that made it through the year! And good luck to those still waiting!
Sorry to bring up your old post, but the fact that you got into 2 Top 20 schools with all B's and C says you were not a normal applicant to begin with. So to tell others that MCAT doesn't matter when most people are not in a same situation like you coud be misleading. If I remember correctly, I know someone who had a 3 in verbal in MCAT and got into another med school (I'm not sure if it was top 20 or not) but that person was an URM. There are always other factors you can't control and MCAT could matter or not depending on what they're looking (which I'd also like to know at this point). I remember Dr.Knott mentioned about how they look at the wholistic view (which includes your MCAT, your uGPA, your GPA grades, your ethnicity, etc)

My undergraduate GPA is 3.6, MCAT 30, decent EC, felt good about the interview. This is why it's frustrating because I thought all the other parts of AMCAS app were okay. Had 2 A's and 2B's and waitlisted. It could be that they emphasized heavily on other factors, something I can't control, such as gender and race. Honestly, I don't know what they're looking for anymore.

Unbelievable. I feel for you man - sorry to hear that. It's crazy, I talked to someone in BMS this year that had a 26 mcat and all Bs in the BMS and got into CMS.

It might be safe to say that BMS has turned into a general SMP rather than a direct linkage to CMS. Of course, this would happen the year I get in. Fml

Wow I'm very sorry to hear about this. For a while I didn't believe that people with As aren't getting in. Were your Bs in physiology and neuroscience towards the lower end though? It is becoming more apparent that CMS is actually able to tell the difference between an 85 and an 80. I find it hard to believe that CMS would accept people with 2 C's. I know people with a C in neuro that CMS accepted and that's because they got As in other classes and got in before the 3rd wave which was before they had the chance to review our overall grades.
I had a 85 in physio and 84 in Neuro. Didn't do any remediation exam. All my averages were above M1 class average. I've seen some people who got in even before they had to do the retake. Unless they were certain that they're going to pass the retake, I don't know how they got in beforehand.

this would be nice to know and help some of us future BMS students make a more informed decision.

@SoonToBeDoc22 do you believe it was something in your AMCAS application that gave you an advantage? good mcat? good ECs? non-trad applicant

Non-traditional applicant, Master's in Public Health, sub-25 MCAT, 3.4ish undergrad GPA. EC's: research and volunteer work domestically and abroad

@vivadoctor i am sorry to hear that with an undergrad gpa of 3.6 mcat 30 and good BMS grades you were not able to get into CMS. do you feel you lacked ECs?

I had a 85 in physio and 84 in Neuro. Didn't do any remediation exam. All my averages were above M1 class average. I've seen some people who got in even before they had to do the retake. Unless they were certain that they're going to pass the retake, I don't know how they got in beforehand.

Wow I'm very surprised and extremely sorry to hear about this. You definitely worked hard for those grades and it's very unfair of them to put you on their waitlist. I do have another question. Assuming that the BMS program does give everyone a clean slate, how did your interview go?

Wow I'm very surprised and extremely sorry to hear about this. You definitely worked hard for those grades and it's very unfair of them to put you on their waitlist. I do have another question. Assuming that the BMS program does give everyone a clean slate, how did your interview go?

The bms no longer gives "clean slates"

Previous years have been told that "as long as you do well in this program you'll get into CMS." This year the narrative has changed. I talked to Dr. Riblon and she said "everything on your general Amcas application matters." She also said this in an email to all incoming BMS students. I thought this was just a formality but it seems to be the truth. Things have obviously changed.

@vivadoctor i am sorry to hear that with an undergrad gpa of 3.6 mcat 30 and good BMS grades you were not able to get into CMS. do you feel you lacked ECs?
I had 300+ hrs of hospital volunteering, did 2 research (not published, only presentation), medical mission aboard to South America, several physicians shadowing, I was very confident about my interview ( didn't get a 3rd one, and both seemed to like me).

I am so sorry. Those are fantastic grades, and I know you must have worked very hard for them. I imagine that the number of BMS'ers who were wait listed is very small, however, and it seems like several people have declined their acceptances from the external applicant thread.

The point about the retakes really makes it hard to understand how the admissions committee is run. They must have known that someone would be retaking an exam because we were told that BMS hands over individual exam grades to CMS. And if you fail a retake, then you end up with a C in physio... Like you said, there must be factors that are out of our control in play.
Yep I heard that not many people were waitlisted and many people get off the waitlist in June and July. So I'm hoping for that!
P.S Did people who decined their acceptances from the external applicant occur post 3rd wave?

Yep I heard that not many people were waitlisted and many people get off the waitlist in June and July. So I'm hoping for that!
P.S Did people who decined their acceptances from the external applicant post 3rd wave?

It would be pretty funny if the 10 or so people that were waitlisted all ended up getting in bringing the number back up to 65/100.

I wish you all the best of luck

Yea it was post 3rd but before the 4th I think (if we assume that the 4th was last Friday).
If it was before the 4th, do you think that the class was full by last Friday filling up the gap for those people choosing somewhere else? I suspect that only people who give up their seats after the 4th will matter from now on.