I think everyone is capable of getting straight A's(I came close to it), but you gotta have an iron will. The year is going to be tough, dreary, cold, you'll remember you are in serious debt and you will be burnt out at some point. But if you push yourself, you can thrive and succeed as a student here. Ask yourself if you think you are capable of pushing yourself to the max for the entire 10 months. You will need to sacrifice some fun time, family time, friends time, etc. if you come to this program and your goal is to get into CMS (This message is specifically targeted at those who have no shot at medical school anywhere else, like myself this past year). Can you handle that? If so then I think you should come to BMS and "tryout."
We had about 55-60 BMSers get in this year and that is still a significant portion of the class(greater than 50%). One thing that hasn't been mentioned on this forum is that nobody with Straight A's has been rejected. If you can get straight A's then I personally guarantee you will get in. If you try to get Straight A's but you fall a little short then there is still a good chance that you will get in. IMO, getting above a 3.5 GPA in the program when the year is over will get you in. And remember that one person's B is not equal to another person's B. I had an 89 in physio, if I had gotten 2 more questions correct on any of the exams, I could have gotten the A. My B is different than someone who had an 80.2% and was on the verge of getting a C. All I'm saying is that some of the people will tell you they got B's, which is great regardless of the percentage, but the adcom cares about percentage and they see the percentages since BMS sends the adcom our test scores, percentage and letter grades.
I have some tips for you for those that decide to continue with BMS(hopefully you remember this or comeback to it during the year):
-Do every practice test you can before each real exam. I even did practice exams on the day of the actual exam and it still helped alot. Practice exams are key to being successful in the program. Along with this, in physio, you should do all the facilitator problem sets even if you don't go to the sessions.
-Knowing the anatomy for Neuroscience is more important than the physiology of the brain because the whole brain is just a wiring system, so if you know the anatomical pathways then you can reason symptoms and where lesions are located from that information.
-The first Biochem exam is on carbohydrate metabolism and everything you learn after that in Biochem fits into the pathways you learn in that unit, so you have to hit the ground running when you start school in August.
-For CMCB, you should always keep up with it and focus on it because it only has about 100 questions for the whole class. Also, I think it was the easiest of the 4 medical school classes, so you definitely want to try and do well in it.
-Lastly, do not confuse easier with easy when M1A's tell you something is easier. Some exams and classes are EASIER than others, but they are all difficult exams. The easiest exam of the year was probably on Reproductive physiology, but that was still a difficult test and this was compounded upon by the fact that we also had to study for the 3rd neuroscience exam too, which was a beast.