Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GunnerBMS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!

I've had my eye on this SMP since last year...didn't take MCAT till June. I'm super excited to apply this upcoming year. Can neone comment on the rigor of the program now? I read this past year's thread(all 1000+ posts!) and it seems like the program has changed in terms of linkage. I'm trying to get an idea of how it works there now. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
deleted

Last edited:
Anyone know how difficult it is to get accepted to this SMP? my GPA is sort of low, but have high MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome. thanks for the reply. best of luck to you in the application process!

Hey guys long time lurker on BMS forums for while, I really could use some help, it would be much appreciated!!!! please help!.... I graduated USC with biology degree last spring and finishing up my last ochem and another class curently this fall. Because the last mcats for january are filled, i would be taking the next earliest May22 mcat2015 which the mcat website says scores will be released june30 2015. I want to call BMS tomorrow so tlak about my situation but basically I would be applying with ~3.4gpa ~3.2sgpa with very extensive research, volunteer, shadow and 2 publications in march but won't have mcat turned in before june30. I will be applying MD/DO in june but want s to start Bms 2015 so at least durign the year i have applied i can do this program because I really would like to attend CMS. So ... Do i still have a shot at starting BMS 2015 considering my late mcat submission..maybe off a waitlist? would BMS admissions see that because of late mcat dates some people will have this same problem??? Thanks !!!!!!

Hey guys long time lurker on BMS forums for while, I really could use some help, it would be much appreciated!!!! please help!.... I graduated USC with biology degree last spring and finishing up my last ochem and another class curently this fall. Because the last mcats for january are filled, i would be taking the next earliest May22 mcat2015 which the mcat website says scores will be released june30 2015. I want to call BMS tomorrow so tlak about my situation but basically I would be applying with ~3.4gpa ~3.2sgpa with very extensive research, volunteer, shadow and 2 publications in march but won't have mcat turned in before june30. I will be applying MD/DO in june but want s to start Bms 2015 so at least durign the year i have applied i can do this program because I really would like to attend CMS. So ... Do i still have a shot at starting BMS 2015 considering my late mcat submission..maybe off a waitlist? would BMS admissions see that because of late mcat dates some people will have this same problem??? Thanks !!!!!!

Application deadline is usually around beginning of June. Even though your grades and experience are good, I think it might be too risky to apply that late. Keep watching out for available test dates in January though... Sometimes people get cold feet and reschedule a month or a few weeks before. I can't say this will happen for sure considering it's the last ones until the new MCAT comes into effect and everyone wants to take it before then. They do accept GRE scores, and so you could always apply early with that and then if you're accepted/wait listed during the summer, send in your MCAT score at the end of June.

Application deadline is usually around beginning of June. Even though your grades and experience are good, I think it might be too risky to apply that late. Keep watching out for available test dates in January though... Sometimes people get cold feet and reschedule a month or a few weeks before. I can't say this will happen for sure considering it's the last ones until the new MCAT comes into effect and everyone wants to take it before then. They do accept GRE scores, and so you could always apply early with that and then if you're accepted/wait listed during the summer, send in your MCAT score at the end of June.
Thank you peach tea for the response, ya ill keep checking but the even if i find a open spot in january i haven't started studying for it and since i will be applying to regular MD/DO cycle i want the 4 months off to make sure i rock it just in case i don't get into BMS, i have a chance of MD/DO, i wanted to start the BMS as a two birds with one stone, since if i didn't get it this cycle i could fall back on hopefully going to CMS since that one of my top choices anyway.. Do you think I have a shot at submitting late june then essentially calling and hoping to get of the BMS waitlist? Thanks!
also what is a good GRE score to aim for that would get me in? or maybe i can take ta DAT and submit that?.. thanks

Last edited:
I was accepted to BMS (two years ago) with a GRE of 163Q/161V/4.5W. But their ideal class profile is constantly changing, so my advice is to score as high as you can on the GRE.

I was accepted to BMS (two years ago) with a GRE of 163Q/161V/4.5W. But their ideal class profile is constantly changing, so my advice is to score as high as you can on the GRE.
thanks for the input Dude pun intended

Does anyone know an actual final count for how many BMSers made it into CMS? Also, why do you guys think the BMSers who were rejected were rejected? Last question, who interviews students? Would it be okay for me to bring my publications in for them to read? Thanks for everything!!:claps:

Does anyone know an actual final count for how many BMSers made it into CMS? Also, why do you guys think the BMSers who were rejected were rejected? Last question, who interviews students? Would it be okay for me to bring my publications in for them to read? Thanks for everything!!:claps:

I think an approximate count of BMSers who matriculated to CMS was around 50-60% of those who applied (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I cannot speak to why people who got rejected didn't get in, there doesn't seem to be any consensus - some people think it's because of BMS performance, others because of weak MCATs, others because of other weaknesses in their AMCAS or interview (if anyone else has better information, I'm all ears). If you decide to do BMS the bottom line is that you cannot really change anything about your AMCAS, all that you have control over is your BMS grades, so you should max those out.

Are you asking about interviews for BMS or CMS? There are no interviews for the BMS program. CMS is switching to MMI's this year, so there would be no opportunity to give someone a publication. Also, even if it were a traditional interview, I don't think an interview is the place to do that; the interviewer wants to get to know YOU, not the research you did or what you wrote. You would include a citation in your application and if the interviewer was interested they could look it up. It wouldn't be bad to mention or talk about your research in an interview, though, and if the interviewer seemed legitimately interested you could offer to follow up and send it to them.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Last year the application deadline was June 1st, if I remember correctly. If you won't have your MCAT back until June 30th and the deadline is the same, then this will clearly be too late. If this is the case, you have a couple options:
First, as @peachicedtea mentioned, MCAT dates could open up, so keep an eye out - but be sure to only take the test if you are truly ready, as rushing it and getting a sub par score is worse than missing the BMS application cycle.
Second, as @Nice Marmot mentioned, BMS does take people with only a GRE score, so you could take the GRE just to have a complete application. Also, if for whatever reason you bomb it, it's the GRE, so you don't have to report it if you don't want to. Honestly, even if it wasn't great, it probably wouldn't get you rejected, just put on the waitlist while they wait for your MCAT, so I'd do it if I were you, just to avoid applying late in the cycle. The BMS class profile states that their average GRE is 1104, but this is clearly quite dated since they're using the old, 1600 point scale. You can look up conversion charts for the new scale to the old to figure out what you would need to be competitive. (For reference, I applied with a 163VR/160QR GRE, which converts to a 1410 but I also had a reasonable MCAT score, so have no idea what weight the GRE carried). Anyway, the GRE isn't nearly the same level of a "content test" as the MCAT, so it's something you can take with little to no studying, so won't interfere with your MCAT prep. (Take a practice one first, just so you have an idea of what you'll score and know what you're getting into. You can get two for free from the ETS website.)
Finally, you could talk to BMS directly and see what they say, but I kind of doubt they will waive an application requirement like the MCAT.

Your stats otherwise look fine for BMS, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year the application deadline was June 1st, if I remember correctly. If you won't have your MCAT back until June 30th and the deadline is the same, then this will clearly be too late. If this is the case, you have a couple options:
First, as @peachicedtea mentioned, MCAT dates could open up, so keep an eye out - but be sure to only take the test if you are truly ready, as rushing it and getting a sub par score is worse than missing the BMS application cycle.
Second, as @Nice Marmot mentioned, BMS does take people with only a GRE score, so you could take the GRE just to have a complete application. Also, if for whatever reason you bomb it, it's the GRE, so you don't have to report it if you don't want to. Honestly, even if it wasn't great, it probably wouldn't get you rejected, just put on the waitlist while they wait for your MCAT, so I'd do it if I were you, just to avoid applying late in the cycle. The BMS class profile states that their average GRE is 1104, but this is clearly quite dated since they're using the old, 1600 point scale. You can look up conversion charts for the new scale to the old to figure out what you would need to be competitive. (For reference, I applied with a 163VR/160QR GRE, which converts to a 1410 but I also had a reasonable MCAT score, so have no idea what weight the GRE carried). Anyway, the GRE isn't nearly the same level of a "content test" as the MCAT, so it's something you can take with little to no studying, so won't interfere with your MCAT prep. (Take a practice one first, just so you have an idea of what you'll score and know what you're getting into. You can get two for free from the ETS website.)
Finally, you could talk to BMS directly and see what they say, but I kind of doubt they will waive an application requirement like the MCAT.

Your stats otherwise look fine for BMS, good luck!
I appreciate it @Blob229 for the feedback, ya i am going to take the GRE in feb and submit that letting them know i will submit an mcat once i get score back.. i am sure the mcat2015 test change and few late dates being offered is going to cause more people to have this problem than only me.. Do you think its a good idea to let BMS know how serious i am about there program and how its my first choice but the mcat test date dilemma is causing logistical problems? ive been reading in threads previous that people do get off waitlists up until august so i guess after i submit in june i have to really contact them and let them know my interest level is still high... thanks!

bump this thread! I believe they will be releasing the application before November 1!

bump this thread! I believe they will be releasing the application before November 1!

Yup it's going to be an online app this year... Not paper anymore. So that's probably why the app cycle is opening later than usual.

Yup it's going to be an online app this year... Not paper anymore. So that's probably why the app cycle is opening later than usual.

Wow - the apps were via snail mail in the past? I wonder if that's going to cause an increase in the number of applicants this year.

actually, if you look at last year's thread, the application came out around the same time (end of october/november 1). if they really did do snail mail last year then i would be super surprised, as that would be ridiculous.

actually, if you look at last year's thread, the application came out around the same time (end of october/november 1). if they really did do snail mail last year then i would be super surprised, as that would be ridiculous.
They did snail mail application, as hard as it may be to believe. It was a huge pain in the ass. Hopefully this year they will be better organized for you guys.

Ya, it was paper applications last year.

Thanks for the info - and that is freakin' ridiculous!! a paper application in 2013...my goodness.

haha, don't knock the paper apps, it deterred people from filling it out in the past

Reactions: 1 users
hello again! can someone help me out here.. question..
does applying toward the end of january 2015/ early feb 2015 seem like an early enough time to gain some advantage toward being accepted? i know the application period starts now but i would be taking my GRE on january 26 .. and looks like by the end of this nightmare semester my gpa would turn out being 3.3gpa / 3.1 sgpa with hospital ec's/ 2 pubs/ 2 abstracts and good LORs.. am i still lookin ok for get in??? mcat 2015 will be taken may 2015.

Last edited:
does applying toward the end of january 2015/ early feb 2015 seem like an early enough time to gain some advantage toward being accepted? i know the application period starts now but i would be taking my GRE on january 26 .. and looks like by the end of this nightmare semester my gpa would turn out being 3.3gpa / 3.1 sgpa with hospital ec's/ 2 pubs/ 2 abstracts and good LORs.. am i still lookin ok for get in??? mcat 2015 will be taken may 2015.

I'm in BMS this year and got in with about the same gpa and a pretty low MCAT, and applied later. You should be fine, but that's just my own personal experience.

Application is up! Loving the interface!

My application was considered complete at the very end of the cycle last year and I got in with a lower GPA and fewer publications than you, but reasonable test scores. I can't speak to your GRE, since you haven't taken it yet, but there's nothing you can really do about the timing at this point. Just focus on what you can change (grades, GRE, etc...) and apply when you're able to.

My application was considered complete at the very end of the cycle last year and I got in with a lower GPA and fewer publications than you, but reasonable test scores. I can't speak to your GRE, since you haven't taken it yet, but there's nothing you can really do about the timing at this point. Just focus on what you can change (grades, GRE, etc...) and apply when you're able to.
thanks again man for replying and helping me out, will do, good luck in your current BMS studies!

Does anyone know if they will still accept LORs from Interfolio..? That's where all mine are. I went to that section of the application, and it says that you have to have RFU send them an email to request it, but one of my letter writers is an extremely hard person to reach. It took me almost forever to get my letter from her last year. I hope they'll still accept interfolio. :( If not, this all seems like so much more of a hassle than the paper application (which I did last year and it was actually not that bad at all).

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they will still accept LORs from Interfolio..? That's where all mine are. I went to that section of the application, and it says that you have to have RFU send them an email to request it, but one of my letter writers is an extremely hard person to reach. It took me almost forever to get my letter from her last year. I hope they'll still accept interfolio. :( If not, this all seems like so much more of a hassle than the paper application (which I did last year and it was actually not that bad at all).

going to give them a call tomorrow about this!

Called them about it - They will not accept Interfolio :(. This is kind of stressful and inconvenient, because it means I have to bug my letter writers again. :(.

Called them about it - They will not accept Interfolio :(. This is kind of stressful and inconvenient, because it means I have to bug my letter writers again. :(.
Sigh sigh apple pie. Thanks for calling them. :(

you're welcome. this is looking like it will be much more of a hassle than it should be :(

thanks again man for replying and helping me out, will do, good luck in your current BMS studies!
Thanks! And no worries, SDN is just one of the ways I entertain myself on study breaks. Also, the BMS threads helped me a lot while I was applying, so I figured I'd contribute what I could now that I'm here.

What are they looking for as far as diversity? What do you guys usually write about?

Hey guys, just sent in my app. Did any of you get a confirmation email back? And, do any current BMS recommend that I read up on material now like Biochem or Physiology? I just want to ace every test next year and get in. I'm so motivated to rock this ****** program!

9P,11V, 9B, 29C, 3.6cGPA

EDIT:

Also, I'd recommend many of you take the MCAT now before they switch it to the 2015 version which is going to be way harder for everyone.

gunnerbms, your stats seem pretty solid...you didn't want to retake that mcat? seems like that's the only barrier preventing you from getting in. also, did you send your recs via interfolio or did you have them send your recs to rfucas?

Hey guys, just sent in my app. Did any of you get a confirmation email back? And, do any current BMS recommend that I read up on material now like Biochem or Physiology? I just want to ace every test next year and get in. I'm so motivated to rock this ****** program!

9P,11V, 9B, 29C, 3.6cGPA

EDIT:

Also, I'd recommend many of you take the MCAT now before they switch it to the 2015 version which is going to be way harder for everyone.

Don't bother pre studying anything. The information is a lot but the professors are good. You'll be fine as long as you work hard through the program.

Hey all,

I'm currently an M2 at CMS and a former BMSer. The BMS program went through some changes since my two years out so I'll have to check on those changes from when I was a student. Here's the link for the actual program to knock off any questions about numbers or the program itself:

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/BiomedicalSciences.aspx

Here were my stats going into BMS applications:
General story: I switched majors from ChemE to something more attuned to my skills/career interests. You could say that I couldn't cut it as a ChemE, and that'd be true. But you can also say that I hated my major and it never really "clicked" with me. Either way, ChemE didn't work out and my GPA took a hit. Long story short, going into my Junior year, Health care was on my radar and Med School was a longshot but I thought, "Why not? I'll give it a shot". My adviser told me, "The road to Medical School is always open until you decide to close it". Well the door was barely open, so I went through a window --> SMP Route, BMS Program at RFUMS.

Application Stats: I applied really early and got wait-listed actually around April/May 2012, but the admissions person I talked with said that's OK because the bulk of acceptances including mine came June (Memory is hazy here but that was roughly the timeline).

Stats (I cringe when I see these lol):
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.0 (Might have been 2.9 something, I can't remember...point is these were LOW)
-Note, this was low due to my ChemE troubles, after I made the switch to MCB semester GPAs ranged from 3.66-4.00 and I just really got into my major's content

MCAT1: 26M (PS 8, V9, BS9)
MCAT2 + Princeton Review: 31Q (PS10, V10, BS11)

Other: Volunteering 100+ hrs, Research post-undergrad for the Summer in a Phase 2 Clinical Trial (this was the highlight of my AMCAS and application), 5K/10K runner, A few exec positions in student organizations, random service acts through organizations etc.

As you can see, the stats were the big reason why SMP was really my only option. And it worked out well. The BMS program was the most challenging and most rewarding academic year I've ever had. I got in in the 2nd round of acceptances during BMS 2013 (and I honestly believed I should've been accepted in the 1st round, but cardio-pulmonary physio destroyed me haha).

I want to highlight that I'm not a bad student; I'm actually an excellent student when I'm learning stuff I actually care about lol. The most important thing to end this lengthy post on for you guys and gals is this: BMS was worth it for me. In fact, I feel that the SMP route was the only way Med school or even any professional health school would've happened. Personally, I feel like that intense year helped me cultivate a higher level of critical thinking that took me to the level where I needed to be for Med school or for a professional health school, in general. I'm an M2 on Fall Break, and I'm happy to report that I'm getting straight A's (if you give me the 15% mandatory practical sessions in path lol) and I got back onto this forum because I started making my USMLE Step 1 schedule for Dec-Jan. I say this because a former BMS grad with half a med school course load CAN be as successful as a traditional med student that second year. I feel that I transitioned very well myself.

General advice:
-Is SMP/BMS the best route for you? Can your application skip this extra year of tuition and time to get into a med school as a "traditional" student?
-If so, get your application in early to better your chances of getting in.

I hope to help you gals and guys out with my experiences as former BMSer, but please take whatever I say with a grain of salt. My experience was different from say a person that got in the 1st round and a person who didn't get in at all. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all... I have a question about the BMS program. Say someone gets in to the program with a 3.6 sgpa and 26 MCAT. Is that MCAT score irrelevant for the medical school if the student performs well academically, or does the med school still hold the BMS applicant accountable for their average MCAT score which is 31 I believe. Do you guys get what I'm asking?

Hey all... I have a question about the BMS program. Say someone gets in to the program with a 3.6 sgpa and 26 MCAT. Is that MCAT score irrelevant for the medical school if the student performs well academically, or does the med school still hold the BMS applicant accountable for their average MCAT score which is 31 I believe. Do you guys get what I'm asking?

I am a current BMS student and my counselor here told me that MCAT score is not as important as grades here. Many former students with MCAT score of less than 26, that did good in the program, have been accepted to the Medical School.

Reactions: 1 users

iRezaDH is right on. Counselors (note: NOT admissions people) tend to say "The GPA and MCAT score that got you into BMS will be good enough for CMS". In general, there is more emphasis on what you do in the program specifically with the overall academic performance of the BMS curriculum (including the online courses!).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
iRezaDH is right on. Counselors (note: NOT admissions people) tend to say "The GPA and MCAT score that got you into BMS will be good enough for CMS". In general, there is more emphasis on what you do in the program specifically with the overall academic performance of the BMS curriculum (including the online courses!).

Caps1219, thank you so much for being so helpful. I really appreciate your lengthy post above. Good luck with M2!! and I hope I'm in your spot in ~3 years :D

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether reference letters and transcripts from AMCAS can be used for our BMS application? Because last year on the paper application, there was a section where you indicate for the school to retrieve those items from your AMCAS application so that you wouldn't need to re-send them again. Is there something similar for this online application?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether reference letters and transcripts from AMCAS can be used for our BMS application? Because last year on the paper application, there was a section where you indicate for the school to retrieve those items from your AMCAS application so that you wouldn't need to re-send them again. Is there something similar for this online application?

I doubt it :( They specifically ask that your recommenders send it directly to their app system, instead of you sending stored recs in interfolio to RFU. Confusing and inconvenient, yep.

If I were you I would contact RFU directly with these questions

Does anyone know around what time they usually send out acceptances?

hey all i was on the rfucas portal and tried to download the transcript request form and it kept giving me a %pdf error... what is that? a glitch in the file link they have?... help apprecited

hey all i was on the rfucas portal and tried to download the transcript request form and it kept giving me a %pdf error... what is that? a glitch in the file link they have?... help apprecited

In order to answer this and other questions; I've wanted to call the BMS office of admissions for the past 2 weeks. I've called during hours countless times but no one answers the phone -_- they just ask you to leave a message that possibly gets deleted...

9P,11V, 9B, 29C, 3.6cGPA

EDIT:

Did you enter all of your courses or just the required pre-reqs? I emailed them a few days ago, but they haven't responded.