Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I may have missed it, but were we informed exactly when and where orientation is supposed to be, tomorrow?

Will edit this if somebody answers in PM, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
After being here for a week, all I can say is that this school is not very supportive of BMS students, the medical students hate us and it sounds like there isn't much of a linkage with the medical school. But, hopefully it gets better.

After being here for a week, all I can say is that this school is not very supportive of BMS students, the medical students hate us and it sounds like there isn't much of a linkage with the medical school. But, hopefully it gets better.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I haven't had a single negative experience with an M1 and I feel like the school is bending over backwards to support us. The linkage that was mentioned in orientation is the same linkage that was posted earlier in this thread ~60%.

Last edited:
Haha the medical students do hate you . Just do what you do and you'll be fine.

Just because no one is holding your hand all the way through the program does not mean there is a lack of support. We're 5 days in, the work is just barely beginning.

There is no free lunch in med school. Well, actually there is literal free lunch during talks but no one is going to do your work for you.

I was actually kind of scared about how it would be like here at first because of how hard it was to get a hold of anyone while I was applying (I even made a panicked post here haha). But everyone was been AMAZING here so far. I mean Dr. Riblon has helped me so much, I forgot to do an assignment due to not knowing the website format even and one of the professors emailed me and walked me through it. I made a ton of M1A friends who gave me so much great advice. They even give us a mentor! I wish I had that in undergrad. I feel like I know exactly what to expect and idk maybe I just love it so much because I went to a huge undergrad where I literally felt like a fish in a sharktank. I even met some regular M1's that were super nice to me so idk.

Also if you think about it...the linkage doesn't sound too bad. I mean 60% is 10% more than your 50% chance of getting in from undergrad. Plus it that means you have to be in the top 60% of the class which isn't bad at all! But yeah that is the only part that terrifies me....getting straight A's and then still not getting into this med school. This is pretty much the only one I am applying to this cycle lol which probably is a horrible idea but w/e.

Last edited:
Whatever the the MCAT score or undergraduate GPA students had that got them into BMS will get them to CMS, assuming they have perform good during BMS, don't lack extracurricular activities and do good on their interview.
Can you get into CMS with a horrible mcat if your undergrad gpa is decent ish? I've heard different opinions from everyone I have no idea what to think. Some people told me they know people with bad mcats that got in because of an amazing performance in this program, some people told me of people with straight A's that didn't get in, probably due to mcat or no activities.

Last edited:
Please take this post very literally since many of you are worried about your stats prior to the BMS program.

RFU has already accepted you with your low mcat, gpa, etc. We don't know exactly how adcoms work but we believe that they take old stats into account when comparing students who are performing equally well in the BMS program.

We don't know why the people with straight A's didn't get in. However, this does prove the point that they look at your application as a whole rather than just grades. Who knows? Maybe they screwed up badly on the interview.

Your two most important factors for matriculating into CMS: BMS grades, and interview. You have no ability to control anything else so stop stressing your old stats. Focus on the program and do well. Do some extracurriculars if you want to show involvement.

Everyone should be more worried about doing well on the first exam rather than revisiting SDN and adding much unneeded stress. STAY AWAY from SDN for the year!!! You'll thank me later.

Reactions: 5 users
Please take this post very literally since many of you are worried about your stats prior to the BMS program.

RFU has already accepted you with your low mcat, gpa, etc. We don't know exactly how adcoms work but we believe that they take old stats into account when comparing students who are performing equally well in the BMS program.

We don't know why the people with straight A's didn't get in. However, this does prove the point that they look at your application as a whole rather than just grades. Who knows? Maybe they screwed up badly on the interview.

Your two most important factors for matriculating into CMS: BMS grades, and interview. You have no ability to control anything else so stop stressing your old stats. Focus on the program and do well. Do some extracurriculars if you want to show involvement.

Everyone should be more worried about doing well on the first exam rather than revisiting SDN and adding much unneeded stress. STAY AWAY from SDN for the year!!! You'll thank me later.

STran is completely right. SDN can be very stressful during the year when people start posting about getting in and you haven't received an acceptance yet. For example, last year a buddy of mine posted on SDN stating that he got in, however, he was looking into a technical error on the Webadvisor program RFU uses and not an actual acceptance letter. He caused quite a dilemma and put many other students in panic mode. So all in all, yes it is wise to avoid SDN during the year. Or just take everything that is said with a grain of salt.

Question: How wise/unwise is it to only apply to CMS? My thinking is that, if I am good enough to get into another medical school without the guaranteed interview and extra exposure to professors on the adcom with the chance to make a good impression, I will be able to get into CMS. This may be completely inaccurate, which is why I'm seeking advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: How wise/unwise is it to only apply to CMS? My thinking is that, if I am good enough to get into another medical school without the guaranteed interview and extra exposure to professors on the adcom with the chance to make a good impression, I will be able to get into CMS. This may be completely inaccurate, which is why I'm seeking advice.
Personally, I had a really low MCAT score so I only applied to three medical schools, CMS being one of them. If you think you actually have a shot at any other medical school, APPLY!!! Different medical schools may emphasize on parts of an application differently. Don't limit your chances to CMS. You never know what happens.

Its ridiculous how much they expect us to know for biochemistry. Good luck on the first exam everyone

How's everyone doing in the program?
Is it like what you expected? Tougher? Easier?

Much tougher than I thought it would be
Don't worry everybody feels that way after the first test. Although it is an insane amount of things to memorize it is all going to be on Step 1. Just push yourself through the next 9 months and you'll be happy with the result!

How's everyone doing in the program?
Is it like what you expected? Tougher? Easier?

It's about what I was expecting. That being said most of my friends in the program were blown away by the difficulty, so I might be the exception.

First exam grades were posted....

What are the average grades of BMSers that get into CMS?

Also, are these first CMCB/Biochem exams representative of the general exam difficulty?

Last edited:
First exam grades were posted....

What are the average grades of BMSers that get into CMS?

Also, are these first CMCB/Biochem exams representative of the general exam difficulty?

It gets harder, but you will get better at preparing after you refine your study methods.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
I am trying to think.... Why did you post these numbers here. ???
I don't get it either
Judging by his name I think I know why.
"gunner: a pre-med or medical student who is ambitious to a fault. They often throw other students under the bus, put their accomplishments and grades on display, and generally make life miserable for any student who they perceive to be a threat to their own success."

Nolifer93 asked about "people's marks after the first exam," so I posted my marks.

Judging by his name I think I know why.
"gunner: a pre-med or medical student who is ambitious to a fault. They often throw other students under the bus, put their accomplishments and grades on display, and generally make life miserable for any student who they perceive to be a threat to their own success."

Agreed.

I, for one, would be hesitant to post such blatantly specific identifiers on a public forum in such a small class.

its not like adcom or our professors are going to have time to patrol this thread, nor would they care much about who is behind these avatars unless we talked bad about them, which we do not. More openness in our discussion of the program could help the next year's BMS applicants and class.

Reactions: 1 user
its not like adcom or our professors are going to have time to patrol this thread, nor would they care much about who is behind these avatars unless we talked bad about them, which we do not. More openness in our discussion of the program could help the next year's BMS applicants and class.
That's really how your justifying your post???? Seriously???

That's really how your justifying your post???? Seriously???

Why do you care? It was his decision to post, and he will deal with the (likely nonexistent) consequences. He answered someone's question it's not like he was just posting his scores to be a jerk. I almost did the same thing before I got too concerned about the program putting a name to an avatar.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what GunnerBMS wrote.
I simply asked for his marks, its not like he's showing them off for no reason.

Also, I've been hearing that their decreasing the linkage rate from the program every year? Do you guys know why?

I don't think there's anything wrong with what GunnerBMS wrote.
I simply asked for his marks, its not like he's showing them off for no reason.

Also, I've been hearing that their decreasing the linkage rate from the program every year? Do you guys know why?

I don't know all the reasons, but at one meeting former BMS/now CMS students told us that historically BMS students that matriculate score lower on USMLE

also, I like how that one guy says the 1st exam was much tougher than expected, but then scores 100 :p

I don't know all the reasons, but at one meeting former BMS/now CMS students told us that historically BMS students that matriculate score lower on USMLE

also, I like how that one guy says the 1st exam was much tougher than expected, but then scores 100 :p

USMLE scores are lower partially because we have an extra year in between BioC, CMCB, Neuro, etc and Step 1. Not necessarily a reflection of competence.

Who cares about USMLE right now. You all need to rock Monday's exam. Good luck.

Can anyone comment on the in-class hours per day or per week? I live 1 hour away and want to know if commuting is reasonable. I really do not want to get a new apartment there.

Most of the lectures are recorded so you don't actually need to be on campus all that often if you don't want to. I would say there are 1-2 required classes a week on average (TIPS and HIPS), but there are additional things on campus that you may want to attend (e.g. review sessions, labs, small group sessions, etc.). I find near campus to be beneficial, but I know a number of people that commute quite a ways that seem to have no problem keeping up.

Do we have any idea what the accepted/waitlisted/denied numbers are looking like now, slash when admissions will be meeting next?

I wonder if they plan on meeting next week or waiting until all retakes are over?

Do we have any idea what the accepted/waitlisted/denied numbers are looking like now, slash when admissions will be meeting next?

I wonder if they plan on meeting next week or waiting until all retakes are over?

I think they will be waiting on the retakes. Remember some students that got in have to take the physio remediation, so things might still change. What I heard was that we will get an email on how many people made it once all the grades are finalized. For some reason I feel like a lot of people got in this year....almost everyone I know got in.

I think they will be waiting on the retakes. Remember some students that got in have to take the physio remediation, so things might still change. What I heard was that we will get an email on how many people made it once all the grades are finalized. For some reason I feel like a lot of people got in this year....almost everyone I know got in.

Wow, so probably won't hear back till mid June, then? I've been waitlisted for months with one A and high B's, feels bad knowing people who will be taking remediation exams are already in!

How many people have dropped out of BMS in your year from the time you started classes?

Do students apply to other medical schools besides CMS? What is the acceptance rate to other med schools? How often do they matriculate to other med schools?

How many people have dropped out of BMS in your year from the time you started classes?

Do students apply to other medical schools besides CMS? What is the acceptance rate to other med schools? How often do they matriculate to other med schools?
I don't know how many people dropped out in our year, but it seems that many people applied to other schools as well. I'm going to be attending a different med school and I'm aware of one other BMSer going to another MD program. I havent talked to anyone else that was accepted to a MD program (a few DO though) so it seems to be pretty rare.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I would guess around 10-12, most being fairly early in the year. Know at least a couple of people who got taken out by neuro fairly late in the year (April-ish), though