Rosalind Franklin Class 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i interviewed on april 4th and i think at that point they said something about housing being full already?

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed on april 4th and i think at that point they said something about housing being full already?

The housing waitlist does move, so I would just send in the paper work asap.

Congratulations to all accepted! I wish you all the best of luck. I was one of the candidates interviewed on Apr 7, but have not heard anything yet. I am not sure if others interviewed on that date have received their letters yet?

I interviewed April 7th and received an acceptance on 5/3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Indioman. Congratulations. Did anyone receive any rejections after their April interviews?

Hi everyone, I interviewed a couple (maybe more, I don't remember) weeks back and was accepted over this past weekend. I can't believe I'm finally posting on this part of SDN!

I have yet to submit my housing info, or my fin aid for that matter. I was looking at housing, and the cost seems pretty steep for the amount alloted for living expenses (something like $14,000 a year). That comes out to be like 1200 a month for 12 months, and with most 1 bedrooms running around 900 a month, I don't know how people manage. Can anyone shed some light?

Hi everyone, I interviewed a couple (maybe more, I don't remember) weeks back and was accepted over this past weekend. I can't believe I'm finally posting on this part of SDN!

I have yet to submit my housing info, or my fin aid for that matter. I was looking at housing, and the cost seems pretty steep for the amount alloted for living expenses (something like $14,000 a year). That comes out to be like 1200 a month for 12 months, and with most 1 bedrooms running around 900 a month, I don't know how people manage. Can anyone shed some light?

I think the cost of student housing includes utilities and maybe cable/internet? That combined with "less hassle" than outside housing and you have the reason why there's a waitlist. I'm assuming of course that people act like rational buyers and have some information on the rental market in the nearby area. If you find a roommate, thare are apartments in the area to rent for anywhere from $800-$1,200.

Of course, that is highly dependant on your own situation. My wife and I are both going to start in the fall, and we have kid starting kindergarten, so school district became a factor, as did reasonable housing size in order to have an office/study. Even with both of us maxing out the loans taken, we're probably going to have to go for more private loans above the COA in order to make ends meet. Had a pretty nice chunk of savings that was going to propel us through med school - but that's about to go poof when I close on selling my townhome (where's all the talk from congress about helping people who DON'T foreclose and actually do things the responsible and right way! No tax break for losses on your primary residence! Ok... done... with... real estate ranting....)

Another RFU student told me to that he was able to find a cheaper (and better) health insurance plan outside of the one offered through RFU and that most people don't spend their full amount for books on books - so there's a tad bit more money there than it looks like.

Just thought of something.... if you have a good buddy or parents with cable, you can just use a Slingbox and get it piped into your computer and watch TV that way... that's a reasonably clever fix that will save money.... just have to live with watching TV on your computer.

Rambling at this point... in any event, my wife and I spent plenty of time up there looking at apartments and I have been around the hedges with the finance stuff, to include which banks now offer loans above the COA (a lot have dried up since the credit crunch), so if you need more in depth info PM me and I'll share what I know.

housing includes all utilities except electricity. our electric bill has never been over $30 either (ambient heat, never had to turn heat on). directv is also extra but some people just get by with antenna. internet is included.

hey guys, so I just stopped by the Woodlands (right next to the school campus) this afternoon. The leasing office gave me a rental application, and information about housing. there are a few 2 br places left that look nice, and significantly reduce the price for both residents. For example it costs about 960/month for a single br while a double costs between 1000-1200 per month in total. If anyone is looking for a roommate, please send me a message and I can give you more info. The doubles floorplans look nice, and some even have separate door entrances as well.

--DK

Let me know ASAP because there aren't many places left -- next few days if possible

Anybody get accepted/rejected lately? That is, did anyone receive any notifications past May 3rd?

Anyone have the link to the immunization form?

For some reason I cannot log into the Accepted Students page. Anyone else have this problem? When I logged in earlier this week the link to the form did not work.

Anyone have the link to the immunization form?

For some reason I cannot log into the Accepted Students page. Anyone else have this problem? When I logged in earlier this week the link to the form did not work.

yeah the website is revamped so all the URLs sent via emails in the past few months are out of date. you can do a site search though, here's what i found:

www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/portals/24/documents/educationalaffairs/ImmunizationForm.pdf

And since we're on the topic of websites, I found this today: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Home/tabid/2311/forumid/5/scope/threads/Default.aspx

do the woodlands really get filled up before the summer? I was hoping i could take care of that a little closer to matriculation...

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I will be joining all of you this fall as well! What are you guys considering in terms of off-campus housing nearby... are there complexes other than Woodlands that house a lot of RFU students?

Looks like I will be joining all of you this fall as well! What are you guys considering in terms of off-campus housing nearby... are there complexes other than Woodlands that house a lot of RFU students?

live in the woodlands or the dorms (unless you've got a family or some other good reason not to. both equidistant from school (literally less than 5 minute walk).

I definitely agree. Choosing to live in the dorms was probably the best decision I made. The convenience factor was great, not to mention the fact that the dorms in my opinion are a bargain. You get a huge room, your own bathroom, free internet, and only pay for electricity (which for me and my roommate has never been above 30 bucks). Good luck all.

Shoot me a PM if you guys have any questions.

I would have loved to live in the dorms, but theres already a waitlist, which Im on. Im looking at other options bc it sounds like woodlands is pretty full as well...

I would have loved to live in the dorms, but theres already a waitlist, which Im on. Im looking at other options bc it sounds like woodlands is pretty full as well...

The housing waitlist has a tendency to move, I got in to the dorms off the waitlist last year in early June.

what about the surrounding areas such as vernon hills/waukegan?

basically are there any areas around north chicago that should be avoided?? i dont want to move into the hood on accident ;)

what about the surrounding areas such as vernon hills/waukegan?

basically are there any areas around north chicago that should be avoided?? i dont want to move into the hood on accident ;)

you cant go wrong going south or west of the school. north of the school is a bit iffy.

I just got the acceptance letter from CMS!!
See you guys in the fall!!
I really hope to get into on campus housing. But, there's 25 people ahead of me and the list just went down from 65 or so recently. So, further decrease may not reach me. But, oh well. I'm just so happy I got in to CMS!!

I remember reading something about a facebook group. I'll join once I get a rfu email address.

Now I've got to either ship my car or drive (from Cali).....wow.....exciting!

Just curious when you interviewed?

I just got the acceptance letter from CMS!!
See you guys in the fall!!
I really hope to get into on campus housing. But, there's 25 people ahead of me and the list just went down from 65 or so recently. So, further decrease may not reach me. But, oh well. I'm just so happy I got in to CMS!!

I remember reading something about a facebook group. I'll join once I get a rfu email address.

Now I've got to either ship my car or drive (from Cali).....wow.....exciting!

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/dnn/portals/24/documents/medicalcurriculum/firstyearbooklist.pdf

This is the required book list for last year's M1s. Can any current students comment on whether the "required" texts are really necessary, or are prof-created syllabuses (syllabi?) enough for any classes?

I bought almost no books, but its totally up to your studying methods. I thought the lectures and power points were more then enough. IMHO you can get by quite easily without them, not to mention used ones are sold at the beginning of the year in case you do decide to buy them.

I just signed up for a 2BR/2Bath 3rd floor/vaulted ceiling apt at Woodlands. The rent is $1290/month with $500 deposit. I'll need to find a roommate in the coming months. I think I got lucky getting this 3rd floor unit...I don't have to worry about anyone above me with heavy feet :oops:

Congrats cmshopeful. We moved out to Chicagoland from SoCal (Manhattan Beach) in 2006. Took the Vegas-Denver-Omaha route. It will probably run you ~$800-900 to ship your car out which would be easier, but if you can get a friend to make the road trip with you, that would be more fun. Unsolicited advice: if you stop in Denver, try dinner at Zengo's, it's Asian-Latin fusion and a really hip place.

If anyone is game - my wife and I are considering hosting a cookout at our place in Lake Bluff (less than 3 mi from school) for incoming students and those current students who have been so helpful with the info in this forum. We've had several moves all over the country from military/corporate life - so we know how tough it is to move somewhere new and have to find everything and make new friends.

No solid date yet, perhaps in July. So consider this an informal poll, if you're interested, let me know. Post here, PM me, whatever works for you.

Congrats cmshopeful. We moved out to Chicagoland from SoCal (Manhattan Beach) in 2006. Took the Vegas-Denver-Omaha route. It will probably run you ~$800-900 to ship your car out which would be easier, but if you can get a friend to make the road trip with you, that would be more fun. Unsolicited advice: if you stop in Denver, try dinner at Zengo's, it's Asian-Latin fusion and a really hip place.

If anyone is game - my wife and I are considering hosting a cookout at our place in Lake Bluff (less than 3 mi from school) for incoming students and those current students who have been so helpful with the info in this forum. We've had several moves all over the country from military/corporate life - so we know how tough it is to move somewhere new and have to find everything and make new friends.

No solid date yet, perhaps in July. So consider this an informal poll, if you're interested, let me know. Post here, PM me, whatever works for you.

Hey MeGrimlock,
Manhattan Beach? One of my college buddy used to play a lot of beach v ball there. Sure I know where it is! I grew up in OC and owned a property in Huntington Beach. I'll likely drive to North Chicago late July and sign the lease at Woodlands for August 1st. So, I'll try to make it to your get together! All my buddies work and have kids. So, I'll need to drive solo unless I decide that shipping my truck is worth the possible hassle I've been reading about auto shipping companies. The cost seems to have gone up as well. I've gotten quotes ranging from $895-$1400 with most companies charging $1000 to $1200.

Last edited:
Hey all, welcome to CMS :)

Quick response to some of the above posts (I'm an M2 so I'll see you guys around the library this year)

- Books minus your Netters and a few Physio books (Renal and Respiratory) are basically unnecessary. You probably won't have time to read them all because your class notes will be more than enough information. However if you are a person who feels it really really necessary to read books and feel unprepared if you don't, by all means buy the books and try to read as much in them as you have time for. A few of my friends did this because they stopped going to class and needed excess info. I personally just used Wikipedia.

- Live in the Woodlands or the dorms as someone already mentioned. Forest Point is also somewhere near campus but the driving is kind of a pain. Trust me, you'll appreciate not having to clean the snow off your car and just walked to campus when winter starts. I'll be living in the Woodlands for the second year and I prefer it to the dorms - it's a bit more homey and less sterile than the dorms but the dorms are also nice.

If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. And enjoy this summer as much as possible!!

I e-mailed the office of student affairs a couple of days ago to see when M1s need to get the campus, here's the relevant info. Posted in case anyone was curious (I couldn't find this info elsewhere):

Fall Quarter Orientation
Orientation for all students beginning classes on August 18, 2008 will be on the following dates and times:
Tuesday August 12, 2008 4pm-8pm
Wednesday August 13, 2008 8:30am-5:00pm
Thursday August 14, 2008 8:30am-5:00pm
Friday August 15, 2008 8:30am-5:00pm

We are working to confirm the date and time of the CMS White Coat Ceremony (which occurs during the dates of Orientation), and will provide that information to you as soon as it is available.

Also, Orientation Packets for students who are participating in Fall New Student Orientation will be distributed to students July 1, 2008.

Referring Student Questions:
Please refer any students inquiring about Orientation information to our administrative assistant Christina Angel at 847-578-8354.

A few minutes later I received this:

Just an additional note, the White Coat Ceremony is now scheduled for Friday August 15th at 5:00 pm

See you all on campus...

I e-mailed the office of student affairs a couple of days ago to see when M1s need to get the campus, here's the relevant info. Posted in case anyone was curious (I couldn't find this info elsewhere):

Fall Quarter Orientation
Orientation for all students beginning classes on August 18, 2008 will be on the following dates and times:
Tuesday August 12, 2008 4pm-8pm
Wednesday August 13, 2008 8:30am-5:00pm
Thursday August 14, 2008 8:30am-5:00pm
Friday August 15, 2008 8:30am-5:00pm

We are working to confirm the date and time of the CMS White Coat Ceremony (which occurs during the dates of Orientation), and will provide that information to you as soon as it is available.

Also, Orientation Packets for students who are participating in Fall New Student Orientation will be distributed to students July 1, 2008.

Referring Student Questions:
Please refer any students inquiring about Orientation information to our administrative assistant Christina Angel at 847-578-8354.

A few minutes later I received this:

Just an additional note, the White Coat Ceremony is now scheduled for Friday August 15th at 5:00 pm

See you all on campus...

Hey that's great info.
I was wondering about this as well.
We need some more posts here! When is everyone moving to Chicago? I think I'll get there during the last week of July...at the latest by the last day of July.

Just wanted to welcome the class of 2012 to CMS!

I agree with the above M2 who mentioned that books really are unnecessary. The notes given to us are excellent and more than sufficient to do well on exams. However, there are some books that are definitely recommended. During your orientations, you will have a session with M2's who will explicitly tell you which books to get and which books to save your money on. Take their advice.

I recommend everyone to invest in a decent laser printer. You will be printing a lot. Get some good deals online while you are on break.

I commuted approximately 35-40 mins almost on a daily basis. If any of you are debating that option then it definitely can work out. However, I'd recommend against it if you don't have any reason to live so far away from campus.

Please PM me if you have any specific questions about our school or the surrounding area. I'll be seeing you guys next year!
Good luck,

MO

Congrats to all our incoming M1's!

The only bit of advice I'd give you right now is DON'T BE SHY about talking to people, be friendly, ask advice, socialize. Upperclassmen really like being helpful and giving advice. Enjoy yourself! Med school's awesome. Every year, every step along the way is a unique set of challenges - but we all signed up for them, so do your best and be the doctor you want to be.

Hey!
I am international student and will be part of CMS2012, and i was wondering if you guys knew of any good health insurance providers. Also, what do you guys think of the one supplied by CMS?

Thanks!
p.s CONGRATS to everyone!

Hey MeGrimlock,
Manhattan Beach? One of my college buddy used to play a lot of beach v ball there. Sure I know where it is! I grew up in OC and owned a property in Huntington Beach. I'll likely drive to North Chicago late July and sign the lease at Woodlands for August 1st. So, I'll try to make it to your get together! All my buddies work and have kids. So, I'll need to drive solo unless I decide that shipping my truck is worth the possible hassle I've been reading about auto shipping companies. The cost seems to have gone up as well. I've gotten quotes ranging from $895-$1400 with most companies charging $1000 to $1200.

Owned in Huntington Beach? You must have been doing well for yourself. That's a really nice area. With those auto shipping quotes - I'd drive as well. Plus there's always the fact that when you ship - you'll be without a car for a few days to a week, which in this area, would be a major hassle.

Did you by chance play any v-ball? I haven't been able to play in any leagues for the past 3 years, but heard that CMS has a sports club that has v-ball. If anyone from CMS plays over the summer - let me know when and where.

Hey!
I am international student and will be part of CMS2012, and i was wondering if you guys knew of any good health insurance providers. Also, what do you guys think of the one supplied by CMS?

Thanks!
p.s CONGRATS to everyone!

We ended up picking a PPO through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Check out ehealthinsurance.com, they have a myriad of plans that you can use to figure out what you want. You'll have to do the math based on your own history of office visits and what you can/can't afford as a deductible, co-pay, etc.

I think when we looked at the school's health plan (and it's simply just another insurance company that the school offers, the school is just a middleman), when comparing apples to apples, the Blue Cross plan was cheaper. But that was for our particular case, 2 students, one 5 year old - so your situation might differ significantly.

In any event, do some shopping around and I'm sure you will find something that fits your needs.

THANKS!
that info was really helpful :D

We ended up picking a PPO through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Check out ehealthinsurance.com, they have a myriad of plans that you can use to figure out what you want. You'll have to do the math based on your own history of office visits and what you can/can't afford as a deductible, co-pay, etc.

I think when we looked at the school's health plan (and it's simply just another insurance company that the school offers, the school is just a middleman), when comparing apples to apples, the Blue Cross plan was cheaper. But that was for our particular case, 2 students, one 5 year old - so your situation might differ significantly.

In any event, do some shopping around and I'm sure you will find something that fits your needs.

THANKS!
that info was really helpful :D

Yeah, I think last time I did research online on health plan premiums, it came out to be nearly identical between the school's plan and just getting an individual BCBS plan (monthly premium, deductible, coinsurance, etc.).
As I understand it, our health insurance isn't great, but it's not as bad as it is at some schools.

Hey everyone I recently got accepted! I am really excited to move out there and meet everyone. I am planning on doing some kind of lease at the Woodlands starting Aug 1st. MeGrimlock, I would definitely attend a cookout. See you all soon!

Congrats to all of you recently accepted!

I have an apt at the Woodlands and a roommate. So, I'm set.
MeGrimlock, I may be able to ask some people who responded to my roommate ad on the RFU site if they'd be interested in a get together before school if you'd like.
Nah, I was never good at v-ball. Although I'm almost 6 ft in height, I have a vertical leap of a slug.

Fact: Slugs can jump almost twice as high as they can far.

I'll probably push the cookout plans back to early August. All those interested keep an eye out here in late June for details.

Is anyone here actually old enough to have watched the Transformers during their original showing or am I really that old?

Fact: Slugs can jump almost twice as high as they can far.

I'll probably push the cookout plans back to early August. All those interested keep an eye out here in late June for details.

Is anyone here actually old enough to have watched the Transformers during their original showing or am I really that old?

I remember the Transformers....although I was in highschool so I wasn't really into it. I remember the "Thunder cats" as well. Kids younger than me were watching it as well...they used to holler "Thunder! Thunder! Thunder cats! Awoooooooooooo!".

Hmm....this thread needs more postings!
Where is everyone?

Has anyone who has sent in their transcripts, health forms, immunization records, or CBC received any notification from RFUMS that the admissions administration received them? I have sent in mine 1-2 months ago and have not received any word from them. I don't even know if my forms are lost somewhere in the process or somehow they are not satisfactory according to CMS.

Is there a site or link in which CMS checks off the required forms as they receive it or will they notify us when they do? They haven't responded to my emails concerning this topic. Also are you guys able to log into the CMS accepted applicant pages?

I know these questions should be addressed to RFUMS and I have tried. I just haven't heard a word from them since April. I just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

Transformers originally ran from '84-'87. If you were in high school then - you are older than me. And I thought I was the old man around here...

If you are looking for confirmation of paperwork reception from the RFU office - I'd say don't hold your breath. My guess is that they will notify you if something is wrong or if something is wrong - they might not bring it to your attention until orientation and give you a few days to fix it then. This is just a guess.

It'd be a lot of work to notify every incoming student about the status of their paperwork... they're still trying to finalize the class.

Hey all, I'm an accepted student and I'm looking forward to seeing you all in August. From what I've read and what I saw when I visited for my interview my impression is that a car is a must if you're going to live in North Chicago (I'm going to be living at the Woodlands). But I don't own a car (and never have) so I'm wondering how necessary it really is.

P.S. I'm Canadian, so if anyone knows anything about registration/insurance/etc. for people who aren't citizens/residents of the U.S. any advice would be appreciated.

-David.

Hey all, I'm an accepted student and I'm looking forward to seeing you all in August. From what I've read and what I saw when I visited for my interview my impression is that a car is a must if you're going to live in North Chicago (I'm going to be living at the Woodlands). But I don't own a car (and never have) so I'm wondering how necessary it really is.

P.S. I'm Canadian, so if anyone knows anything about registration/insurance/etc. for people who aren't citizens/residents of the U.S. any advice would be appreciated.

-David.

Hey David,
I'm Canadian too, and am in the exact same situation as you.
I've decided not to get a car during the first year (i'm living at woodlands). It doesn't seem worth it, seeing that i would only needed it for groceries. From what i heard, most ppl hv a car but there are a few that dont.

I figured, that if a car becomes necssary i can always get one. But i'm hoping i can manage without.

If anyone has any other thoughts, i'd love to hear them

David, what city are you coming from? I live in toronto.

Cheers
Taz
Can't wait to see everyone in August!!!

Canucks,

I suppose if you didn't want to have a car for the first two years - it's possible. You'd have to sponge off buddies who do own cars who live in woodlands/dorms. I'm living in the area right now and there's really not any groceries/restaurants/bars that are within about 3-4 km that you could just walk to easily. I mean, you could hoof it when the weather is good - but in the winter, not so much.

The last two years you'll either have to get a car or become very very intimate with the public transportation system. I'm told most students mover closer to the city for the last two years. If one lives right next to a train station - you could probably make it work.

Try checking out the Illinois DMV websites for info on registration and licensing for Canadians. I don't really know the specific details but I would think you can use your Canadian license the whole time you're here. If you can use your address in Canada (or your parent's address) you can probably maintain a Canadian vehicle registration as well by doing renewals on the web or having the forms mailed to you. Insurance will be happy to give you a quote based on where the car is kept. They just want you to keep sending them the money.

If it's a question of cost - my personal advice would be to get a car. It just provides you some additional freedom and knowing you can go somewhere, be it getting groceries, going to a movie, or on a camping trip - on your terms is a good thing. Plus I can't imagine it would be easy to take your date out to dinner without a car. You can do the math from there!

Best of luck.

Hey Taz, thanks for the reply, I'm from Toronto too! Where'd you go to school? McGill for me. Thanks to MeGrimlock too for your thoughts. I'm really thinking a car is the way to go and you've gone further to convince me.

Has anyone who has sent in their transcripts, health forms, immunization records, or CBC received any notification from RFUMS that the admissions administration received them? I have sent in mine 1-2 months ago and have not received any word from them. I don't even know if my forms are lost somewhere in the process or somehow they are not satisfactory according to CMS.

Is there a site or link in which CMS checks off the required forms as they receive it or will they notify us when they do? They haven't responded to my emails concerning this topic. Also are you guys able to log into the CMS accepted applicant pages?

I know these questions should be addressed to RFUMS and I have tried. I just haven't heard a word from them since April. I just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

Hey, I was wondering the same thing. I have turned in all the forms but haven't received confirmation from the school. I left voice messages as well as emails and have had no response from them. I'm hoping they got everything. I really wish they had an online checklist so we know what they have and have not received from us.