Rosalind Franklin Class 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Materialist,
I went to UofT. :D Although, i visited Montreal recently and loved McGill.

are you still in T.O for the summer?
if so, maybe we can organize a CMS - toronto get 2gether. If anyone else on this board is from Toronto, give me a shout and we can organize something.

i'd love to talk to someone who is international student, abt things like applying for OSAP, visa stuff and other things we might need to consider since we're from toronto, Cnd.

Let me know ur thoughts.

congrats
and i'll see you in August.

Hey Taz, thanks for the reply, I'm from Toronto too! Where'd you go to school? McGill for me. Thanks to MeGrimlock too for your thoughts. I'm really thinking a car is the way to go and you've gone further to convince me.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any of the last year's M1 or M2 chime in on how essential laptops were on campus? I'm contemplating on investing in a new lapbop. Also, are you aware of any issues with Macs for on campus use?

Last edited:
no problems with macs but make sure you have office for the mac. youll want to be able to work with powerpoint.

i would recommend a laptop. i brought it to class everyday and downloaded the powerpoints via wifi in class. i took notes directly into the powerpoint. never printed a thing.

some people like to print stuff though, so to each his/her own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of the last year's M1 or M2 chime in on how essential laptops were on campus? I'm contemplating on investing in a new lapbop. Also, are you aware of any issues with Macs for on campus use?

Buying a laptop for school was probably the smartest decision I made. Its invaluable to have internet in the class room. Plus it helps with the boredom :).

Alright people, the moment you have been waiting for is here.

Tentative date for the Class of 2012 (and any other class that feels like coming) get together is Aug 3rd - a Sunday. Time and other various details to be determined.

Alright people, the moment you have been waiting for is here.

Tentative date for the Class of 2012 (and any other class that feels like coming) get together is Aug 3rd - a Sunday. Time and other various details to be determined.

Count me in!

Materialist,
I went to UofT. :D Although, i visited Montreal recently and loved McGill.

are you still in T.O for the summer?
if so, maybe we can organize a CMS - toronto get 2gether. If anyone else on this board is from Toronto, give me a shout and we can organize something.

i'd love to talk to someone who is international student, abt things like applying for OSAP, visa stuff and other things we might need to consider since we're from toronto, Cnd.

Let me know ur thoughts.

congrats
and i'll see you in August.

hey i'm a premed from canada applying to u.s. schools. could u tell me how far north you would have to travel from chicago to get any good crosscountry skiing? also isnt the eastern shore of lake michigan totally flat? so you'd have to go west, beyond milwaukee to get any skiing??

I rarely ever go skiing. So i have no idea of any good cross country skiing areas. sorry!

no problems with macs but make sure you have office for the mac. youll want to be able to work with powerpoint.

i would recommend a laptop. i brought it to class everyday and downloaded the powerpoints via wifi in class. i took notes directly into the powerpoint. never printed a thing.

some people like to print stuff though, so to each his/her own.

do we have to print our own notes or are they provided in lecture? also, is there free printing at the school?

do we have to print our own notes or are they provided in lecture? also, is there free printing at the school?

you do have to print out your own notes and the printing is not free. I solved the problem by buying a tablet pc. I still prefer paper but the cost of printing was more than buying the tablet. I recomment that you DO NOT buy any books until you start school and hear from M1 and M2 what is essential and what is not. Save your money!!! Have fun at orientation...:) the ride begins soon. Good luck to all of you and congratulation.

do the majority of students have a tablet? im having a hard time deciding between a tablet and a macbook.

do the majority of students have a tablet? im having a hard time deciding between a tablet and a macbook.

Hey Caligrl,
I went back and forth between the tablet and a macbook countless times. I decided to wait for a newer macbook (it's to be released during the 3rd quarter of this year). I'm comfortable with paper and don't mind the extra cost. Plus, (I'm sure this is no big deal in reality, but....) I don't want to have a learning curve for both PC and a tablet when school starts since I've never used either one. I've done well enough with my current method, why change my method which has worked for me?

The tablets I did look into were the Lenovo x61 and Gateway 14" one. If you get the Gateway, you may be able to skip some time in the gym....yeah, it's that heavy....but it's the only 14" tablet.

Accepted Students --

Expect correspondence concerning orientation in the coming weeks.

Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
For incoming students (and any of the advice dispensing current students)...

Send me a private message if you are interested in our cookout on Aug 3rd and I'll send you details of time, place, etc...

I'll also be posting a message on the CMS '12 Facebook page as well.

What is the proper attire for the White Coat Ceremony? I am thinking of just wearing something comfortable (t-shirt since the white coat should cover the t-shirt, also family not attending so im all down for the comfort) or is it mandatory to dress more professionally?

When do you start paying tuition?

For winter do you need some special tires for the snow or anything on or in a car (antifreeze?)that is needed for a snowy winter drive?

For the current M1s/M2s/... what equipments does the school gym have and is it adequate for person who likes to weight lift? How about the occupancy level (is it crowded)? If you do not recommend working out at the school gym, can you recommend any gym around North Chicago, Libertyville, Vernon Hill..(farthest Lincolnshire) that is not too pricey.

Thanks in advance.

Most students are dressed in business casual (nice pants, collared shirt, tie), because you aren't wearing your white coat the entire time. There is a whole ceremony where you walk across the stage and then put on your white coat. You don't necessarily have to wear a tie, but jeans and T-shirt isn't really appropriate.

You will get information on financial aid and such during orientation week. But if you're really concerned, I'd drop an e-mail to the girls in the financial aid office. They're really knowledgeable.

As for car stuff...depending on what kind of car you have, your tires should be fine. I'm from WI originally, and I always take my car in to get winterized in November-ish. This usually includes making sure the heat works, checking fluid levels, and getting anti-freeze to put in the gas tank to make sure fuel lines don't freeze. Make sure you have a small shovel and scraper for digging your car out when it snows.

For the gym, we have a pretty decent collection of weight machines as well as free weights, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and mats and medicine balls for ab workouts. You should be able to get a good workout in. There are certain times of the day when it's busier than others, so you learn to avoid those. Personally, I think our gym gets the job done, and it is a convenient location and hours (open 24/7 except for 9-10pm Monday, Wednesday, and Friday when they clean it). Hope this helps!

Class of 2012,

The Athletics Club is looking for incoming students who want to help organize activities, not just participate (don't worry, you can do both). If you're looking for something extracurricular to stick onto your resume or just plain enjoy everything about sports, then come join us. Want to contribute? Send us a message, and we'll provide the details.

here is a short list of our activities:
flag football, indoor/outdoor soccer, softball, basketball, volleyball, rock climbing, skiing, hockey, ping pong

The Athletics Club

Thank you for the good response Aewochinski.

I'm one of the orientation advisers, so feel free to ask me any questions you have about the school or the area. I look forward to meeting you all in a few weeks!

I was thinking this would be a good place to chime in. Just was accepted yesterday (Yeah!), but I need housing. Anyone know of a girl who is looking for a roommate?

Secondly, does anyone have any opinions on the following housing complexes:
1)Woodlands: I heard they have lots of crime & relatively poor ammenities. Any thoughts on this?
2) Oaks apartments: Looks like they have received mixed reviews. Any comments?
3) Forest Pointe apartments: wow... I'm pretty impressed by their description. Are these apartments worth the high $?

Any other apartment complexes nearby I missed?

I was thinking this would be a good place to chime in. Just was accepted yesterday (Yeah!), but I need housing. Anyone know of a girl who is looking for a roommate?

Secondly, does anyone have any opinions on the following housing complexes:
1)Woodlands: I heard they have lots of crime & relatively poor ammenities. Any thoughts on this?
2) Oaks apartments: Looks like they have received mixed reviews. Any comments?
3) Forest Pointe apartments: wow... I'm pretty impressed by their description. Are these apartments worth the high $?

Any other apartment complexes nearby I missed?
woodlands: recently heard of some robberies, plus someone's car got keyed. however, many students live there, including my friends. most are happy. From what I have heard, management was somewhat of an issue (ie maintenance). They may have gotten new management, but not sure

deer valley apts (5 min. drive): these are nice, quiet, luxury apts. friends have lived there, and love it. They are about the same cost as the Woodlands. Management was really great, and got things done quickly.

landings apt (5 min drive): not sure how these are, but some students lived there, too.

between woodlands and deer valley, both apartments are good. as for the "area" or "community", deer valley is better. management: better at deer valley. distance: woodlands is a few minutes walk, but deer valley requires a car.

note: many students are at woodlands (fewer at deer valley), though.

hope that helps. see you around next year.

Last edited:
anyone on the waiting list for student housing? my roommate withdrew and I'm in need of a roommate. If so, we can request each other. fyi, im a female from the chicago area.

anyone on the waiting list for student housing? my roommate withdrew and I'm in need of a roommate. If so, we can request each other. fyi, im a female from the chicago area.

Hi! I just PMed you back. I'm very interested. Thanks!

For the current M2s according to the above link of the new M1 schedule, do you see any significant changes in curriculum from your first year and do you think the changes have positive, negative, or neutral impact? Thank you.

It says August 18, 2008 as the first day of class. You must be looking at the BMS class, which is still 2007-2008 schedule.

The schedule looks pretty much the same. I did notice that anatomy labs move around a little more than last year, but I'm thinking that's to avoid forcing one of the groups to dissect twice in a week. That happened a few times last year, and 6 hours in anatomy lab in one week can be a lot, especially close to exam times. The schedule might seem a little daunting at first glance, but you will only be in one anatomy group, one ECR group, etc. You'll also figure out your study style and which classes/professors you must go to, and which ones you can learn on your own.

Not sure about housing only, but living expenses $1700/month.

I signed a lease at The Landings yesterday. They are very nice. I got a 1 BR for $1,005, however the first month is free and they are prorating September since I'm moving in late. They've got everything-pool, free internet/printer, workout area, and nice apartments. Anyone else living there? If so, maybe we can car pool sometimes.

Does anyone have any information on orientation? I know a few people have posted the dates and what not, but how about specifics? What times do we have to be there on certain days and what exactly are the activities on certain days? I haven't received an email from RFU regarding orientation, so I was also wondering if any of you have?

Hey Jon, here's the Orientation info...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

4:00pm Orientation Registration and Welcome Activity

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

9:00am Welcome Session
10:00am Tours and Financial Aid Presentation
12:00pm Faculty Mentor Lunch
1:30pm Curriculum and Academic Policies
(1:30pm‐4:30pm)
EVENING Optional Activity

Thursday, August 14, 2008

9:00am Professionalism and Policy
11:00am Introduction to the Student Services Fair
11:30pm Student Services Fair
1:00pm Cultural Competency Curriculum
4:00pm International Student Session (required for international students only)
EVENING Optional Activity

Friday, August 15, 2008
9:00am Student Life
10:30am Pearls of Wisdom
12:00pm Background Checks and Lunch on your own
(Background Checks are required of all students; you will be scheduled
for a time‐slot between 12:00‐4:00pm)
5:00pm White Coat Ceremony

** a schedule containing session presenters and locations will be provided for you on Tuesday, August 12,
2008. Schedule subject to change.

I received a statement from RFU today. According to the packet that we received during interview, tuition is billed quarterly. The statement that arrived today says that the CMS tuition is roughly around 13k (not including student council and student service fees). Does that mean M1 full tuition is greater than the "fixed" tuition of 39k per year that we were told throughout the interview? I'm hoping the tuition is not 52k but instead that the tuition is billed 3 times per year making it roughly 39k.

In addition, there was a student health insurance bill of 500 dollars. I thought as long as we provide proof that we have health insurance we do not need to pay additional student health insurance fee.

Anyone else who received the statement know anything about this?

In regards to what I just posted earlier, I realized there's only 3 quarters in the first, second, and fourth year of medical school. I'm assuming from this info we are going to be billed 3 times per year and quarterly does not mean 1/4 or 25% in RFU terms.

Yeah we are billed only 3 times a year.. we have three "quarters". And at orientation they will give us the chance to sign a waiver if we don't need the student health insurance from the school.

Hey everone,
Im coming from Los Angeles starting this August at RFUMS. I was wondering if you guys know the best way looking for an apartment or if you guys know anyone who wants to roommate.

Thank you so much,