Rosalind Franklin off probation!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKoman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres some info straight from the dean! Wooohooo, we are off probation !!!!!

Dear Friends & Colleagues:

We have been informed by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) that they have voted to remove our probationary status, effective immediately.

They will return in about a year to assess our ongoing progress and accomplishments.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my very most sincere and grateful thanks to the many dedicated people who worked so hard to allow us to realize our goal of meeting the LCME’s accreditation challenge. Special thanks are, of course, due Dr. Welch for his trust & confidence in our team as well as for his unfailing support and enthusiasm for the work.

Please join me in viewing the LCME’s determination as not the end of a journey but, instead, as the point of departure on our road to many fulfilling achievements which will serve as enduring sources of genuine institutional pride.

Arthur J. Ross, III, M.D., M.B.A.
Dean, Chicago Medical School
Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
3333 Green Bay Road
North Chicago, Illinois 60064-3095
(847) 578-3301 voice
(847) 578-3343 fax

Members don't see this ad.

With that match list this year they deserved this. :thumbup:

Are rosland franklin and chicago med school the same schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many other med schools are there in chicago?

NRAI2001 said:
How many other med schools are there in chicago?
Chicago Medical School is actually in North Chicago (not the same as Chicago).

In addition to CMS, other Chicago schools include:

Rush
Loyola-Stritch (Maywood for pre-clinicals, Maywood/Chicago for Clinicals)
University of Illinois-Chicago
University of Chicago
Northwestern University
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (Downer's Grove for pre-clinicals, rotations available in Chicago)

Phil Anthropist said:

Rush
Loyola-Stritch (Maywood for pre-clinicals, Chicago for Clinicals)
University of Chicago
Northwestern University
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (Downer's Grove for pre-clinicals, rotations available in Chicago)

WOW, 7 med schools plus a lot of the carribean schools do rotations in chicago. The city must be filled with med students???

Overflowing.. but amazingly enough the 9 million or so folks that live in the city and surrounding areas keep all of us rather busy! I cant remember a clinic I did this year that wasnt over run with patients waiting to be seen. :)

Phil Anthropist said:

Rush
Loyola-Stritch (Maywood for pre-clinicals, Chicago for Clinicals)
University of Chicago
Northwestern University

For the DO school, where is downers grove? Do most of the DO students do the majority of their rotations in chicago?

Downers grove is a suburb about 25 miles west of chicago. During my 3rd year I have run into some of the CCOM people during my Medicine and Peds rotations which were done in chicago. For more specific advice why dont you go to the osteopath site and ask I am sure those people could help.

Downer's Grove is a very nice suburb of Chicago. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine is part of Midwestern University's-Downer's Grove campus. There are a lot of other health care programs there too (e.g., physician assistant and clinical psychology). There are other nice suburbs nearby such as Oak Brook. Lots of rich people live around there--it's a pretty upscale area. Some people that go to the Chicago med schools even commute from places like Downer's Grove and Oakbrook.

Phil Anthropist said:
Downer's Grove is a very nice suburb of Chicago. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine is part of Midwestern University's-Downer's Grove campus. There are a lot of other health care programs there too (e.g., physician assistant and clinical psychology). There are other nice suburbs nearby such as Oak Brook. Lots of rich people live around there--it's a pretty upscale area. Some people that go to the Chicago med schools even commute from places like Downer's Grove and Oakbrook.

O wow, sounds nice.

What about the area RFU is in? Is it nice also?

EctopicFetus said:
Downers grove is a suburb about 25 miles west of chicago. During my 3rd year I have run into some of the CCOM people during my Medicine and Peds rotations which were done in chicago. For more specific advice why dont you go to the osteopath site and ask I am sure those people could help.

Did the DO students get equal respect as did the MD students when they were doing their clinicals? Just wondering BC i ll be applying to DO and MD schools this summer.

Thanks

Why where they on probation in the first place? :confused:

blankguy said:
Why where they on probation in the first place? :confused:
Did Finch have such a bad reputation that a new start was needed?
What changes was necessary to get the school off probation?

This is good news for us future AP students. :thumbup:

DelAGator said:
Did Finch have such a bad reputation that a new start was needed?
What changes was necessary to get the school off probation?
The reputation didn't cause CMS to lose accreditation. LCME accreditation looks at more objective qualities.

General reason why a US MD school might be put on probation:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/accreditation/faq.cfm See #4
...the School has been determined to be in partial or complete noncompliance with one or more accreditation standards. The School continues to be fully accredited by the LCME but the School’s activities will be under closer scrutiny and more frequently reviewed by the LCME.

Specific reasons that Rosalind Franklin was placed on probation:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/accreditation/faq.cfm See #7
The LCME has developed a series of standards that should be met in order for a school to maintain continued full accreditation. In reviewing the School’s compliance with these standards, the LCME said it is looking for reduced dependency on student tuition, greater stabilization of leadership and the medical staff, a continued enhancement of curriculum, and strengthened relationships with hospitals to further enhance the clinical education.

Initiatives by CMS that got them off probation by the LCME:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/accreditation/update_1-13-05.cfm

For further information:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/accreditation/index.cfm