Roseman or LECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, I have been accepted to these two schools. I am curious to hear your opinions and advice. Which would you choose and why? I apologize if this thread is a repeat of prior topics.

Members don't see this ad.

As of now, I have been accepted to these two schools. I am curious to hear your opinions and advice. Which would you choose and why? I apologize if this thread is a repeat of prior topics.

Are you comfortable with pbl???

I talked to a d1 at lecom and he was in the same situation as you last year.. He picked lecom because of cost..

LECOM is cheaper! But I thought PBL kind of sucked. LECOM hasn't had anyone take part 1 so idk if PBL is the way to do things. All they kept saying is the med school has good board passing rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the idea of virtually teaching myself for the first two years is a bit scary. However, I was impressed with LECOM's facilities -- stunning. I liked Roseman's learning approach more and of course being a new school their clinic and sim lab are also top notch. I also really liked the climate and physical environment/surrounding area at Roseman more (I hated how humid Florida was). But Roseman is quite a bit more expensive, and that sucks.

Also, i believe at least one of Roseman's classes have taken part 1 of the boards and had a high pass rate (I heard this at the interview), so that's quite reassuring.

LECOM is significantly cheaper.... like by 10K a year. Initial savings is like 40K, but with interest over 20 years of repayment, you will be saving closer to 80K.

The reputation of both is pretty much the same, however, LECOM is much more established and recognized for its PharmD and DO programs around the country than Roseman (been around 10+ years longer). Plus, you get the beach at LECOM.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/go-to-the-cheaper-school-a-cost-analysis.970137/

http://lecom.edu/financial-aid.php/School-of-Dental-Medicine-Tuition-Fees/49/2205/621/2486
http://www.roseman.edu/admissions-college-of-dental-ut/dmd-tuition-fees

Reactions: 1 users
If you're thinking of specializing later on, I think Roseman is a better choice than LECOM. I heard LECOM doesn't like students who want to specialize.

roseman is lots better than LECOM (who incorporates PBL) they dont have the experience on boards and U dont want to take that risk of being screwed.

LECOM doesn't incorporate waxing which i am against.

One thing about LECOM struck me very oddly - some PBL sessions were facilitated by people without a science background. I think Marjorie, an MBA, said at my interview that she facilitated some sessions and that much of the material was over her head. I think she said she was there to "keep everyone on track." Maybe a current student could chime in and clear up what courses are facilitated by people with an extensive science background, and which aren't?

Reactions: 1 user
Roseman D2 chiming in about our board info, we have three classes matriculated, two of which has taken Part I. Among those that have taken Part I, 139/143 passed on their first attempt. Only four (two from the D3 and D2 classes) had to retake and all passed the second time around. If anyone has questions about Roseman, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer. Congrats on the acceptances!

Roseman D2 chiming in about our board info, we have three classes matriculated, two of which has taken Part I. Among those that have taken Part I, 139/143 passed on their first attempt. Only four (two from the D3 and D2 classes) had to retake and all passed the second time around. If anyone has questions about Roseman, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer. Congrats on the acceptances!

Do you think Roseman will have trouble getting the patients or enough chairs for all the students?

Do your classmates plan to specialize, and if so, what kind of opportunities will you get?

Patient recruitment now seems healthy. Some students are good with their patient load and others could use more. Seems to be the luck of the draw and pretty standard dental school stuff. There is zero problems with chairs. We have plenty of excess chairs and a completely undeveloped floor that will be outfitted according to our needs.

I do have classmates that intend to specialize. I am not sure what you mean regarding opportunities since all stuff we pursue on our own time. We don't have specialty departments here so we are disadvantaged in the sense I can't just head to OS and hangout and shadow. That said, the vast majority of students that intend to specialize have participated in externships. Seems OMS, ortho, and pedo are the leading specialties people are shooting for which seems par for the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patient recruitment now seems healthy. Some students are good with their patient load and others could use more. Seems to be the luck of the draw and pretty standard dental school stuff. There is zero problems with chairs. We have plenty of excess chairs and a completely undeveloped floor that will be outfitted according to our needs.

I do have classmates that intend to specialize. I am not sure what you mean regarding opportunities since all stuff we pursue on our own time. We don't have specialty departments here so we are disadvantaged in the sense I can't just head to OS and hangout and shadow. That said, the vast majority of students that intend to specialize have participated in externships. Seems OMS, ortho, and pedo are the leading specialties people are shooting for which seems par for the course.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there anything you wish you knew about the school before you chose to attend?

Keep the SDN BS and hype in perspective. Some of the info is great, lots of the info is eh. Dental school is dental school wherever you go, no school is perfect as they all have their issues, some of them the same issues and some unique to the school. Ultimately, dental school is what you make of it. Personally, identify what your goals and wants out of dental school are and pick the choice that fits it best. Sure, finances are important, but I firmly believe that quality of life and happiness for four years is crucial. Those are just some things that stick out in my head.

Reactions: 2 users
last night I looked at the cost of attendance and financial aid information provided by both schools. While I knew Roseman was more expensive, I didn't exactly fathom how much more it was going to be. Adding up only educational expenses (and excluding the projected cost of living, room and board etc), by attending LECOM i would save ~73,600 over the course of 4 years! This is huge. Knowing this, would it be foolish of me to pay all that extra money just so I can go to Roseman?

I think it just depends on if not doing PBL is worth $74,000 to you.

last night I looked at the cost of attendance and financial aid information provided by both schools. While I knew Roseman was more expensive, I didn't exactly fathom how much more it was going to be. Adding up only educational expenses (and excluding the projected cost of living, room and board etc), by attending LECOM i would save ~73,600 over the course of 4 years! This is huge. Knowing this, would it be foolish of me to pay all that extra money just so I can go to Roseman?

You would actually save more than $73,600. Think about the interests...

I think it just depends on if not doing PBL is worth $74,000 to you.

That's certainly one way to look at it.

I've also been thinking, is $74,000 worth my comfort for four years. I like the climate and surrounding environment at Roseman more than at LECOM. I thought the humidity and heat in Florida were overwhelming.

You would actually save more than $73,600. Think about the interests...

Of course, with interest it would be much more. That figure is a conservative estimate that doesn't include cost of living or anything.

Look Into the curriculum of Roseman, you really can't beat not having a finals week!

Reactions: 2 users
I heard Roseman is P/F? Might want to look into that and confirm. It may be better for specializing.