Roseman / USN Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addededge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (formerly USN) was granted initial accreditation today.:)

Members don't see this ad.

For those who are interested Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (formerly USN) was granted initial accreditation today.:)

That is great news!! I am actually applying there so its a relief that they got accredited today. But what does initial accreditation mean?

Last edited:
Are they instate residents only like East Carolina U?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a local, this would be a good time to scope things out. A little face time in the midst of applying never hurt.

We have had many prospective students and members of the community interested in visiting our campus. We are happy to tell you that here is your chance. Our first information session for the cycle will be held on August 24, 2011 from 3:30-5:00. During this information session, you will get a tour of the campus, a 45-minute presentation about the DMD program and an opportunity to ask questions to one of our Associate Deans. Space is limited, so please sign up if you are interested in attending. To sign up, please contact Amanda in the Admissions Office at 801-878-1405 or [email protected]. We look forward to seeing you!

Private? Music to my ears. Excellent...

mr_burns.png

Private? Music to my ears. Excellent...

mr_burns.png

well played.
they are going to be a great school. i live about 20 minutes away and the new dental building is looking awesome - 5 floors and i believe 2 of those floors will be clinic. all of the people i have interacted with at the school are very nice and welcoming. they have interesting approach to mixing lecture and pbl type learning style which has worked really well for their other programs. good luck.

Yeah, I will be attending that info tour and get some face time. I want to check the place out first hand.

Yeah, I will be attending that info tour and get some face time. I want to check the place out first hand.

Be sure to come report to all your friends here. Their site is not so awesome for information about the program.

Be sure to come report to all your friends here. Their site is not so awesome for information about the program.

Oh for sure. From what I know so far, Roseman has a different kind of curriculum. They have a block system. That is when they teach one subject at a time. Plus they are eliminating grades. Kind of weird but they have weekly or biweekly exams on fridays and you need 90+% to pass, if not then you come in the following monday and work with the professors and then retake it in the end of the day. If you passed then you have monday off. I also believe that the subjects rotate ever 2 weeks or something like that. (or that is what they told me last year)

I will find out more at the tour.

Plus they are eliminating grades. Kind of weird but they have weekly or biweekly exams on fridays and you need 90+% to pass, if not then you come in the following monday and work with the professors and then retake it in the end of the day.

It sounds nice for the students. But I'm not sure how are you're going to be competitive for residencies without any grades. Are they even going to have class standings? Since the boards are switching to pass/fail, there's not much to evaluate you on other then you passed dental school.

It sounds nice for the students. But I'm not sure how are you're going to be competitive for residencies without any grades. Are they even going to have class standings? Since the boards are switching to pass/fail, there's not much to evaluate you on other then you passed dental school.

I remember them addressing that issue, but can't quite remember what they said. I personally just want to be a general dentist so I don't really care too much about all that stuff.

I remember them addressing that issue, but can't quite remember what they said. I personally just want to be a general dentist so I don't really care too much about all that stuff.

When I asked about this they told me they write really good letters of recommendation. Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
When I asked about this they told me they write really good letters of recommendation. Haha

Wow are you serious? They're going to write great letters for ALL their students applying to residences? That sounds almost.......comical.

Wow are you serious? They're going to write great letters for ALL their students applying to residences? That sounds almost.......comical.

unfortunately i am serious. i think this could and does work for established schools, but not new ones with no reputation. especially since the first few years they will most likely accept a lot of lower stat type students, and specialty programs probably realize this (and to clarify not all students that chose to go there this year are lower stat students, but i know a lot who are).

The way they will deal with people who want to go on to specialties is pretty simple. ALL of their classes have to be passed with at least a 90%. In some schools, 70% or lower is considered passing a class. If one of those schools writes a letter for a student indicating that they passed all of their classes that probably won't mean a whole lot. However, in the letters that they will write at Roseman, it will indicate that every single class was passed with AT LEAST a 90%.
I don't think grades or ability to perform is going to be the issue that prevents people from going on to specialize out of Roseman. The only concern I can see is that the school is new and students may get passed on for that reason.

I'm a current Roseman dental student and the program IS very different, but I like it. As far as the specialty thing goes, I do plan on specializing once I graduate and, yes, I'll be getting recommendation letters from my professors, but doesn't everyone? Yes, they do.

As for class ranking and GPA, yea we don't have either. But technically, if you want my GPA after 4 years, it'll be a 4.0 since we're forced to make a 90 in every class. I don't know how many dental students will be able to say that after 4 years.

I'm not worried.

I'm a current Roseman dental student and the program IS very different, but I like it. As far as the specialty thing goes, I do plan on specializing once I graduate and, yes, I'll be getting recommendation letters from my professors, but doesn't everyone? Yes, they do.

As for class ranking and GPA, yea we don't have either. But technically, if you want my GPA after 4 years, it'll be a 4.0 since we're forced to make a 90 in every class. I don't know how many dental students will be able to say that after 4 years.

I'm not worried.

Wow a 90% that's insane. Do most people pass?

Had our first assessment last Friday, 60/64 passed on that Friday, 4 people re-took the test the following Monday, and I believe 1 student has to remediate the block during the summer. Our next assessment is next Friday.

Our class works like this, you go to class and you pretty much have 1 topic all day. Class is a mixture of lecture and 4 small group discussions to help learn the material. Usually 2 small group discussions/activities (20-30 min each) before lunch, and 2 after lunch. For assessments, you take the test on your own, then you re-take the SAME test in your small group. If your small group makes a 95 or higher, everyone in your group gets 5% added to their individual tests. Hence, teamwork is a NECESSITY at Roseman. Your friend's learning is just as important as your learning because sometimes you may need your group to carry you through an assessment with those bonus points.

Had our first assessment last Friday, 60/64 passed on that Friday, 4 people re-took the test the following Monday, and I believe 1 student has to remediate the block during the summer. Our next assessment is next Friday.

Our class works like this, you go to class and you pretty much have 1 topic all day. Class is a mixture of lecture and 4 small group discussions to help learn the material. Usually 2 small group discussions/activities (20-30 min each) before lunch, and 2 after lunch. For assessments, you take the test on your own, then you re-take the SAME test in your small group. If your small group makes a 95 or higher, everyone in your group gets 5% added to their individual tests. Hence, teamwork is a NECESSITY at Roseman. Your friend's learning is just as important as your learning because sometimes you may need your group to carry you through an assessment with those bonus points.

Thanks for that info. In your honest opinion, do you think this type of curriculum is superior to other dental schools in the US? As far as I know, students traditionally just go to class, memorize, and spit out the information on exams and repeat.
I find Roseman's approach quite interesting, but do students like it?

We love it! As far as it being superior to other dental schools, I don't know about that. Every dental school will make you a competent dentist in their own way. Our school just takes a cooperative, non-competitive approach. In our class everyone shares everything. There's no need to hide information from anyone else because there's no GPA and no class rank. And like I said, with the group assessments it's more beneficial to YOU if you let everyone else know about a certain video, website, or trick that helps you memorize the information better. There are no cliques and no bad blood between anyone here, and I don't think there will be for the next 4 years.

Some of my friends at other dental schools are dying with the amount of work they have. One has 4 tests and 6 quizzes in the next month. She is busy as all hell and super stressed. This will be the beginning of our 4th week, and leading to our 2nd assessment and I'm still chillin. lol We have no quizzes, no midterms, no finals. Just an assessment every 2 weeks. Done. Things may pick up as we go along, but that remains to be seen, so we'll see.

Thanks for that info. In your honest opinion, do you think this type of curriculum is superior to other dental schools in the US? As far as I know, students traditionally just go to class, memorize, and spit out the information on exams and repeat.
I find Roseman's approach quite interesting, but do students like it?

Has anyone heard from Roseman or called about when they will start offering interviews or if they have started reviewing applications?

Has anyone heard from Roseman or called about when they will start offering interviews or if they have started reviewing applications?

This.

I applied and have not heard back myself.

Anyone know anything?

This sounds amazing to me. Are you always with the same small group, and how big is your class?
Also, what do you think of Roseman's location and how do you like South Jordan?

Class is a mixture of lecture and 4 small group discussions to help learn the material. Usually 2 small group discussions/activities (20-30 min each) before lunch, and 2 after lunch. For assessments, you take the test on your own, then you re-take the SAME test in your small group. If your small group makes a 95 or higher, everyone in your group gets 5% added to their individual tests. Hence, teamwork is a NECESSITY at Roseman. Your friend's learning is just as important as your learning because sometimes you may need your group to carry you through an assessment with those bonus points.

Some of my friends at other dental schools are dying with the amount of work they have. One has 4 tests and 6 quizzes in the next month. She is busy as all hell and super stressed. This will be the beginning of our 4th week, and leading to our 2nd assessment and I'm still chillin. lol We have no quizzes, no midterms, no finals. Just an assessment every 2 weeks. Done. Things may pick up as we go along, but that remains to be seen, so we'll see.

I'm very interested in Roseman and their approach to teaching is totally different than what I've heard of the other schools :) However, since there are very little assessments (so far) compared to regular curriculums as you stated, do you feel you are learning the necessary information efficiently for boards?

This sounds amazing to me. Are you always with the same small group, and how big is your class?
Also, what do you think of Roseman's location and how do you like South Jordan?

From our understanding, we stay with the same team for several blocks, then they split us up again so we can meet and work with other people in our class. Thus far, we've been with the same team. Our class size is 64, but I've heard they want 80ish for future classes. Just wanted to start off small cuz our program will be a work in progress this year.
Roseman's location is awesome! If you haven't been up here to see campus, then you're in for a treat! It's still a fairly new school, USN started here in 2006 with Pharmacy, so everything is still looks "new". Plus the area is very nice! Not anywhere near "ghetto-ish" areas like a lot of older, more established schools, and I don't see this area getting like that anytime in the future either. Our area is still growing, so it'll stay this way for a while. I'm from Texas, so moving to UTAH of all places made me feel ehhh lol But it's actually really nice here and I think I'll enjoy my team here very much.

I'm very interested in Roseman and their approach to teaching is totally different than what I've heard of the other schools :) However, since there are very little assessments (so far) compared to regular curriculums as you stated, do you feel you are learning the necessary information efficiently for boards?

I have no idea what the boards are like, so I can't tell you at this point if our learning is adequate. All I know is that we're now accreditted, and I doubt we would be if our program was not up to par. Also, this was news to us, D1 students will be taking the NBDE 1 at the end of the first year. So you know I'm sooo looking forward to that this summer!! (.......) Most other schools take it after their second year. So just a heads up to all of you applying here.

I would like to know this as well. I tried calling but no one responded..

Try calling before 12 pm MST, that's the best time to reach Amanda (secretary). I don't know much about their interviewing process, but I think the earliest interview in our class last year was end of November...but don't quote me on that!

From our understanding, we stay with the same team for several blocks, then they split us up again so we can meet and work with other people in our class. Thus far, we've been with the same team. Our class size is 64, but I've heard they want 80ish for future classes. Just wanted to start off small cuz our program will be a work in progress this year.
Roseman's location is awesome! If you haven't been up here to see campus, then you're in for a treat! It's still a fairly new school, USN started here in 2006 with Pharmacy, so everything is still looks "new". Plus the area is very nice! Not anywhere near "ghetto-ish" areas like a lot of older, more established schools, and I don't see this area getting like that anytime in the future either. Our area is still growing, so it'll stay this way for a while. I'm from Texas, so moving to UTAH of all places made me feel ehhh lol But it's actually really nice here and I think I'll enjoy my team here very much.

I have no idea what the boards are like, so I can't tell you at this point if our learning is adequate. All I know is that we're now accreditted, and I doubt we would be if our program was not up to par. Also, this was news to us, D1 students will be taking the NBDE 1 at the end of the first year. So you know I'm sooo looking forward to that this summer!! (.......) Most other schools take it after their second year. So just a heads up to all of you applying here.

Try calling before 12 pm MST, that's the best time to reach Amanda (secretary). I don't know much about their interviewing process, but I think the earliest interview in our class last year was end of November...but don't quote me on that!

Thanks for your posts. How is the cost of living in South Jordan? What's the weather like year round?
Also, just for info, what's the quickest way to get to Roseman from Utah Airport? Is the Utah Transit Authority any good?

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts. How is the cost of living in South Jordan? What's the weather like year round?
Also, just for info, what's the quickest way to get to Roseman from Utah Airport? Is the Utah Transit Authority any good?

i've lived in utah for the past seven years, so here's my perspective on your questions:

weather - 6 months of winter, 2-3 weeks of spring, 5 months of summer, 2-3 weeks of fall. summers are hot (90+ degrees) and winters are cold (below ~35 degrees). great if you like skiing and outdoors activities.

fastest route from SLC airport is I215 south to I15, take I15 south to the exit for 10600 south (i don't remember the exit number right now - just follow the signs), turn right (west) on 10600 south and follow it about half a mile to south river front parkway and turn left, follow the street to roseman. it should only be about 20 minutes if you drive like everyone else in utah. if you drive like the rest of america (excluding california) then plan on about 35 minutes and about 3 less speeding tickets per year.

UTA is alright. nothing special really. mostly buses at this point. they are making improvements and adding a frontrunner railway with commuter trains that follow I15 from Ogden south to Provo, so that could make it a lot better.

i've lived in utah for the past seven years, so here's my perspective on your questions:

weather - 6 months of winter, 2-3 weeks of spring, 5 months of summer, 2-3 weeks of fall. summers are hot (90+ degrees) and winters are cold (below ~35 degrees). great if you like skiing and outdoors activities.

fastest route from SLC airport is I215 south to I15, take I15 south to the exit for 10600 south (i don't remember the exit number right now - just follow the signs), turn right (west) on 10600 south and follow it about half a mile to south river front parkway and turn left, follow the street to roseman. it should only be about 20 minutes if you drive like everyone else in utah. if you drive like the rest of america (excluding california) then plan on about 35 minutes and about 3 less speeding tickets per year.

UTA is alright. nothing special really. mostly buses at this point. they are making improvements and adding a frontrunner railway with commuter trains that follow I15 from Ogden south to Provo, so that could make it a lot better.

Thanks for the tips... Is it expensive to live around South Jordan?

Thanks for the tips... Is it expensive to live around South Jordan?

I would say a decent 2 bedroom apartment will range from $700 to $900. There are plenty of areas around South Jordan that are within a short driving distance (like 5-10 min); Herriman, Draper, Riverton, and West Jordan to name a few, all of which are nice areas. However, as you go more north from West Jordan into Taylorsville, Kearns, and West Valley City especially, you start getting into the shadier parts of the valley where you'll hear far more reports of crime and other trouble on the local news stations.

Just earlier this year, South Jordan was officially dubbed Utah's wealthiest large community (it has been seen as such for quite some time actually)... so it is definitely far from ghetto. The area of the school is surrounded by other large office buildings and newer homes on the south side. There are a number of restaurants and a golf course just a block north, and a fitness center just across the street to the south. It really is a great area.

I've lived in this area for the last 26 years, so feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try to give you my best opinion.

Im finishing my 4 yr. in southern utah. I plan on applying to rosemand. Have you heard any info on what the admissions likes to see on the applications aside from the usual GPA, DAT scores. Like do they care about having don research? Shadowing hours, service hours? what was your interview like? Anything would be helpful. My parents live right around the corner there. I totally see myself raiding their fridge between classes.

did you guys get their app completed email yet?

On July 8. A whopping two months now without a word. I'm not worried since no one has heard anything yet. But two months feels like forever these days.

I just emailed them and they said: "The interview dates are currently in the process of being organized. Once we have approved the dates we will then invite candidates in for an interview. Unfortunately, I cannot give you an exact time frame, but we wish to have interviews start in October."

She has been real nice in answering my questions, so it looks like it will be a while.

Roseman really looks like an awesome school I hope I get an interview there. It's going to be 80 seats this upcoming class right?

I just emailed them and they said: "The interview dates are currently in the process of being organized. Once we have approved the dates we will then invite candidates in for an interview. Unfortunately, I cannot give you an exact time frame, but we wish to have interviews start in October."

She has been real nice in answering my questions, so it looks like it will be a while.

Start in October so we might hear from them in a few weeks?:xf:

When they spoke to us during orientation they had mentioned that they wanted 80-90 students for future classes. Our class was initially suppose to be 53, but we ended with 64. So it may be in that range 80-90 range, give or take a few. The classes are pre-built with X number of seats, so they can only take as many as they can fit in the classes, ya know?

What will make you a better applicant is all of the above: GPA, DAT, extracurricular, shadowing, research, etc. I had a little bit of all of that plus I showed persistence in keeping with it even though I've been outta school for 2 years. I graduated in 2009. And you know what, they took A LOTTTT of non-traditional students for our class. I'm 24 and I'm like the 5th or 6th youngest in the class! Our class average age is 28 and range from 22-38, I think, with about half from Utah. From my understanding, the school is not particularly partial to Utah residents because it's a private school, they look at everyone the same, but then again, I'm not on the administration board so I dunno.

The interview is day is reallll chill! So don't sweat it! They'll give you a presentation of the school/program, yall may have a group activity with the other applicants, eat lunch, then interviews is the very last thing yall do. That's how it was last year for us, so I'm guessing that's how they'll do it for new applicants this year, too.

Roseman really looks like an awesome school I hope I get an interview there. It's going to be 80 seats this upcoming class right?

i agree from everything on here. it seems like a great place to go.

Is it wrong that I got a little hard... just a little... when I read that?! :D:D

Can't wait!

I actually :laugh: out loud.

SDN does that to you. That and PreDents

Yes, indeed. I'm envisioning someone passed out in front of their computer at 4 a.m. with a few dozen Rockstars piled around the room and a Predents profile up on screen. Scratch that--a dual monitor setup with tiled windows of 6 SDN threads on one monitor, and 10 schools on Predents that you applied to on the other.

I posted this on another thread, but since half of you aren't on that one here ya go:

Just a heads up, interviews should be starting at Roseman end of October/early November. Keep a lookout for your interview phone calls/E-mails. The class will be 80 students.

Good luck!

Clutch, I just want to say I applied to Roseman after reading your posts on SDN. You should ask them for a referral fee on that $75
8P3A4z4j49Z2gAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

haha that's good to know! Hopefully I'll see you here next year! Might even see you this year for interviews...we'll be having elections for a student admissions committee or somethiin in a few weeks and I plan on running for a position.

Yea I don't think so...I'm already broke thanks to them, a cut of that referral fee won't do anything! haha

Anyone know the ratio of interviewees to acceptances?

So now that its been a little while into the school year, how are you liking Roseman? I was accepted there and to Tufts last year, but decided to go to Tufts instead because I was impressed with both programs, but didn't want to be the guinea pig 1st year. I'm liking my school, but sometime do wonder what the people are Roseman are going through now.