Roseman vs UNLV Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soapbubbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of ranking my list and I can't decide which to rank higher. So any insight would be most appreciated!

The factors that I can't decide on are these:
  • Roseman is cheaper than UNLV as per the AAO website and the verified $20K/year stipend: roughly $160K vs $200K.
  • Roseman has more residents (30 total), but residents don't get their own operatory station (20 total). UNLV has 24 operatory stations with 18 total residents.
  • Roseman has a lack of patients coming in. A third year posted on reddit advertising for new patients to come in and residents did mention there being an issue with this during the social.
  • Roseman dismissed the finance course (MBA joint program) which residents were happy with.
  • UNLV has a triage set-up: Operator, Assistant, Runner. 6 clinic sessions per week. Will there be enough clinical exposure as the operator?
  • UNLV also has a past reputation of being an OEC program and I'm not sure if that reputation has any influence on what other residencies/residents/orthodontists think as networking would still be important.
As UNLV didn't have a social and I couldn't interact with the residents, I couldn't get a good feel for what the environment might be like. While Roseman's interview/social were kind of disorganized and chaotic, it was still transparent enough for me to know what I'm getting into if I match there. With UNLV, it's still a bit of a mystery which is why I'm having difficulties ranking UNLV above Roseman regardless of all the cons.

If you have any advice, I'd love for you to share it :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of ranking my list and I can't decide which to rank higher. So any insight would be most appreciated!

The factors that I can't decide on are these:
  • Roseman is cheaper than UNLV as per the AAO website and the verified $20K/year stipend: roughly $160K vs $200K.
  • Roseman has more residents (30 total), but residents don't get their own operatory station (20 total). UNLV has 24 operatory stations with 18 total residents. Not having your own chair will get old. Unless they have some rotations set up where not all 30 residents are in clinic together. May be 10 are out on some craniofacial clinic so then the remaining 20 each have a chair.
  • Roseman has a lack of patients coming in. A third year posted on reddit advertising for new patients to come in and residents did mention there being an issue with this during the social. Not having enough patients=less clinical exposure/experience=less confidence with cases (*to some extent)
  • Roseman dismissed the finance course (MBA joint program) which residents were happy with. That is a bummer, having some business exposure will help in private practice.
  • UNLV has a triage set-up: Operator, Assistant, Runner. 6 clinic sessions per week. Will there be enough clinical exposure as the operator? Don't underestimate what you can learn from being either the assistant or runner. That will give you some perspective on what that job entails and "could" help when training your own staff one day.
  • UNLV also has a past reputation of being an OEC program and I'm not sure if that reputation has any influence on what other residencies/residents/orthodontists think as networking would still be important.
As UNLV didn't have a social and I couldn't interact with the residents, I couldn't get a good feel for what the environment might be like. While Roseman's interview/social were kind of disorganized and chaotic, it was still transparent enough for me to know what I'm getting into if I match there. With UNLV, it's still a bit of a mystery which is why I'm having difficulties ranking UNLV above Roseman regardless of all the cons.

If you have any advice, I'd love for you to share it :help:
Not ortho but pedo, but above are some of my thoughts in response to your points in bold. Reading through your post, it sounds like you would rather go through UNLV.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard awful things about Roseman third-hand. Like, residents getting barely any fixed appliance cases bad. I don't know how that can possibly be true, so hopefully someone will pop in here and set the record straight. But if that's actually the case, you may as well just set your tuition money on fire and become a GP. At least that way you'll get a few minutes of warmth.

Don't know anything about UNLV other than the OEC thing, which isn't great for it's reputation obviously. But... Presumably you'll actually do some ortho during your time there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely forgot about the official website's tuition statement as my last referral was the AAO website. So thank you! That, along with everything else, definitely makes my decision a lot easier haha. Hopefully someone with inside knowledge does provide info on UNLV, but until then UNLV is probably the better of the two choices.

Thank you everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
I would still rank them all unless you would rather not be an ortho than go to a certain residency, you don't know where they will rank you

Roseman also has a past sordid reputation of how the program came to be. If anything, UNLV dropped its number of residents by a lot when OEC left. The other OEC programs did not do this.

Roseman also has a past sordid reputation of how the program came to be. If anything, UNLV dropped its number of residents by a lot when OEC left. The other OEC programs did not do this.
Does this mean that UNLV no longer has the OEC reputation? :oops:

Thank you! I was planning on ranking both UNLV and Roseman either way but this definitely helps relieve my worries!