Ross 2017 May Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malkagizmo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone starting Ross in 2017 May?
I just got accepted today! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations, how exciting! I applied for the September 2017 start. How did your interview go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys!! The interview was pretty relaxed, it was done via Skype. The interviewer asked some straightforward questions, such as Why do you want to be a vet? Why do you choose Ross? And pretty much just went over my application (work experience, letter of interest etc) with me. The interview took approx. 40 mins. And i received a call back from the interviewer 5 days later and told me the decision.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have any questions about Ross feel free to message me. I'm in 5th semester here!

Reactions: 1 users
Switched my application from September 2017 to the May 2017 start and just got a skype interview invitation! So excited and nervous!!

I've also been accepted to Ross for May 2017 start. I'm also hoping to hear from my IS in the next week or so. So, I don't know yet if I'm going. But, excited to be going to one vet school or another.

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview Jan. 20 for May 2017 term. I am still waiting to hear back with the decision. Would anyone mind posting or PM their stats? Does yall know anyone that has been accepted into Ross Vet school with a very low GRE?

If you have any questions about Ross feel free to message me. I'm in 5th semester here!

Hey WeimMama, sorry I know you said to msg you, but I think your response might be useful for others on here- I'm curious about your opinion about buying a car on the island. I've heard that Ross now has a shuttle system from some of the more concentrated off-campus housing areas to campus. I was wondering if this is sufficient transportation for school purposes, and if that lessens the need to get a car? Also, since I've heard that the cars there can have so many issues, I was wondering if you thought they're worth the trouble and money? Additionally, if you had a car at home before moving to St. Kitts, I'm wondering what you did with it? (ie- sell it and use the money to buy a car on the island vs store it, if possible, until you go back to the states for clinical year)

Hey WeimMama, sorry I know you said to msg you, but I think your response might be useful for others on here- I'm curious about your opinion about buying a car on the island. I've heard that Ross now has a shuttle system from some of the more concentrated off-campus housing areas to campus. I was wondering if this is sufficient transportation for school purposes, and if that lessens the need to get a car? Also, since I've heard that the cars there can have so many issues, I was wondering if you thought they're worth the trouble and money? Additionally, if you had a car at home before moving to St. Kitts, I'm wondering what you did with it? (ie- sell it and use the money to buy a car on the island vs store it, if possible, until you go back to the states for clinical year)

No worries!

The shuttle is definitely sufficient for school purposes and was designed as such. If you plan to not live within walking distance to school you either will need a car or will need to use this service. I know many people in many areas that use it and love it! You then would just need to either take a bus or taxi for things like errands and going to the beach/fun stuff. Honestly, if the shuttle service existed before I bought my car I am not sure that I would have bought one.

Just like any old car, the cars here that students can afford require a fair amount of upkeep and its definitely not unheard of to need to replace something pretty dang costly (like an entire transmission). I personally know at least 3 people that have bought two cars in their time here because the first one completely died and financially it was a better investment to buy a second car than fix the first. That being said if you are smart and don't rush you absolutely can find a fairly (for the island) priced car that will last you your entire time here and way beyond. If you plan to buy a car here just accept the fact that it will cost way more than its "worth" - for example my car cost me about 8,000 here and on kelly blue book its worth about 2,000 US and at the time I bought it I paid a fair price.... and its about 10 years newer than most of the cars you will see being sold. Its not that students are price gouging eachother or trying to include upkeep in the sales price its just that it is so costly to bring vehicles to the island that there are only a limited quantity available here so basically just by being here and available the value is driven waaaaay up. Hope that makes sense. I have definitely felt like my car was worth the trouble and money, I am getting ready to post it for sale in the next few weeks so ease of selling and what I get for it will definitely impact whether or not I regret buying a car here (LOL).

Another option that doesn't occur to many until they're here is to do a long term rental from a local or a locally owned car rental place. Most of those cars are WAY nicer than a car you could buy but still not a nice as a "real" rental car and are like $400-500 US per month. If you want the freedom of having a car with zero hassle and don't care about not recouping any of your investment, that's definitely a good option and again, one I wish I knew about before I bought my car (even though I probably still wouldn't have done it because it seems crazy to pay as much for a car per month as my rent).

Seems like most people leave their cars just sitting or sell it and then buy a new one when they get back. My car was technically still owned by my parents so I left it at their house and they sold it and I will inherit my mom's CRV when I get back so she can get a new vehicle.

I know this is a lot of info so any more questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much! Totally answered all my questions, I really appreciate it!

Anyone starting in May thinking they want to buy a car within the first month, HOLLA AT ME. I'm selling my baby, my SUV who has been so so good to me while I've been here.... will be available to look at during your orientation (or sooner if you're somehow here sooner....).

I just got my acceptance email and call today for May 2017!

Is anyone in the May 2017 FB group? I would love to be added if possible!

Edit: Nevermind, I found it!

Last edited: