This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SNS1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow SDN members,
I have researched a good amount of posts regarding this topic here and in other well known forum sites. This has provided me with a good amount of information belonging to a time span of about 14 years (2003 to 2017) ranging from how class sizes have gone up, calculations of attrition rates and real match rates (from available data) and so on. I’ve also read posts like million dollar mistake, why the carribean might not be for you and so on. Eitherway I decided to create my own post mainly because I’m still in the process of deciding between Ross and SGU.

I have been accepted at both SGU and Ross for August and September 2018 and I’m currently in the process of making my final decision. Here is my train of though right now:

Ross:
- 2 personal friends also got accepted and are going there on september. Could mean a good study group or roomates...
-Currently in Tenesse with a possibility of a whole year there.
-Less time on Dominica
-Rotations might get tricky
-24k-25k per semester

SGU:
-Less attrition (in the end its how hard you focus though)
-Bigger School with more tools
-Organized rotation spots
-Better match rates...?
- 30-33k per semester

Both:
-Being IMG
-Never Matching
-Debt Debt Debt

In the end the caribbean route is a route you survive not something you thread lightly and it is due to this exact same reason I’m considering if the extra 5-9k per semester are worth it? Either way you will have to excel at steps, compete with US MD’s and DO’s who have equal or lower scores than you for mid-low tier programs and prove everyone wrong every step of the way. So what do you guys think SGU or Ross?

Extra pros and cons are higly apreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're determined that going to the Caribbean is the right move for you, which it sounds like you are, then go to SGU. The uncertainty around this Tennessee situation would make me incredibly anxious. Basic sciences year will probably be a similar experience regardless of which you attend, but clinical rotations are definitely stronger with SGU. SGU has a stronger presence in NY/NJ which are huge employers of IMG's when it comes time for match.

(WADR "Dr." Smurph...)

We have a pattern of relatively new posters who come here and are suddenly Carib "pros" or self-proclaimed experts on giving advice on what complete strangers should or should not do. My advice? Independently verify everything. And, do not base a potentially unalterable lifelong decision on anything you read on this forum. Advice is only worth what you pay for it, and should come from a known, trustworthy source.

The Ross situation is tenuous for sure. But, they are proceeding and there is a precedent with regards to other schools (namely AUC) who have go through similar temporary relocations without affecting their matriculant's futures. I have posted on this recently. (Do a search.)

SGU has the reputation of having better clinicals. It is also a substantially more expensive program. Do research as well, as this has been covered extensively on this forum.

A search of the match lists will tell you where the bulk of the graduates end-up in training, per state. The last time I compiled this, NJ was 9th on the list:

Does school matter for residency?

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks skip I’ve read multilple of your posts including the one regarding presedents for similar situations like AUC and the hurricane granada had on 2003. Mainly because of this and other medical schools that have made island switches or rebuilding that situation doesn’t really make me extremely anxious. It’s there and something to note but not a big but.

Thanks for your insight and the link. I will proceed to check the match lists and investigate further before making my desicion.

(WADR "Dr." Smurph...)

We have a pattern of relatively new posters who come here and are suddenly Carib "pros" or self-proclaimed experts on giving advice on what complete strangers should or should not do. My advice? Independently verify everything. And, do not base a potentially unalterable lifelong decision on anything you read on this forum. Advice is only worth what you pay for it, and should come from a known, trustworthy source.

The Ross situation is tenuous for sure. But, they are proceeding and there is a precedent with regards to other schools (namely AUC) who have go through similar temporary relocations without affecting their matriculant's futures. I have posted on this recently. (Do a search.)

SGU has the reputation of having better clinicals. It is also a substantially more expensive program. Do research as well, as this has been covered extensively on this forum.

A search of the match lists will tell you where the bulk of the graduates end-up in training, per state. The last time I compiled this, NJ was 9th on the list:

Does school matter for residency?

-Skip
Obviously I agree with Skip, no input you receive on here should supersede the research you do on your own. You're the only person that knows what are your highest priorities in choosing where you will do your education. Best of luck in your coming journey OP, let us know what you ultimately decide and feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Will do, thanks for your input Dr. Smurph.

Reactions: 1 user
Do extensive research and please do not base a decision on what people tell you on this forum. I'm at SGU and love it here. However, it's not for everyone. I've had way too many friends drop/flunk out here. There are so many pros and cons here that I am not going to make a list, so please do your own pro/con research from reputable sources (not this forum). I am very very happy here at SGU, but realize that it's not for everyone. It's massive and you can get easily lost in class. Most that drop out either don't have a great science background/study habits to start with, or they need smaller classes/more individual attention, so think about that point as well. Other than that, there's a ton of pros and cons here and at Ross. Congrats on getting accepted to both though! Message me if you have any specific questions.

Also, SGU has a ton of scholarships- apply for them (they have them listed on their website).. I ended up getting one for 25,000$ just for having a certain cultural background, so look into it, it's worth it. Even though SGU is a bit higher price tag, I don't think it's a huge difference in the grand scheme of all this debt anyways. Scholarships might help offset the difference though.

Also, SGU has a ton of scholarships- apply for them (they have them listed on their website).. I ended up getting one for 25,000$ just for having a certain cultural background, so look into it, it's worth it. Even though SGU is a bit higher price tag, I don't think it's a huge difference in the grand scheme of all this debt anyways. Scholarships might help offset the difference though.

Good input, are you 1st or 2nd year? do you feel school provide good resources to those with less science background? what do you feel is the hardest subject so far?

First time I hear SGU offer scholarships!

First time I hear SGU offer scholarships!
Tons of scholarships! http://www.sgu.edu/academic-programs/school-of-medicine/financial-aid-and-scholarships/#scholarships

1st year, started last august. I don't think any school, even in the US, will give you a good background if you're coming in with hardly any science. You need to come in with a pretty good understanding of genetics, biochem, acid/base chem. They may have an intro slide or two on some lectures but they assume you have a decent background from undergrad. Things move very fast, so you don't have a ton of time to go back to the basics when you're swamped with details and advanced material in lecture. Everyone has different strengths/weaknesses, and I learned to really put in a lot of time in my two weakest areas- biochem and genetics, and it paid off. This is because I came in with a weak background in those two subjects, so it took me a long time to understand the material.

Most students here seem to struggle with anatomy and physiology. First, because a lot of students never took A&P in undergrad, as it's not required for med school so the terminology and just sheer amount of memorization is difficult. In addition, the professors here for A&P are pretty bad. Otherwise, most other professors are great. After all, med school is really just you teaching yourself/friends and just learning by youtube/najeeb/first aid, and doing practice questions. Not to sound so negative, but that's the long story short lol. After all, you need to have a good basic understanding of undergrad pre-reqs, but med school is different as you are focusing more on disorders, drugs, what goes wrong, etc. They don't really teach that in undergrad, so a lot of the material is new.

Also, it's more about study habits and time management more than anything. I see a lot of people struggle with that here, and i'm sure at other carib schools too. You just need to be very self-motivated and have a strict study schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Tons of scholarships! http://www.sgu.edu/academic-programs/school-of-medicine/financial-aid-and-scholarships/#scholarships

1st year, started last august. I don't think any school, even in the US, will give you a good background if you're coming in with hardly any science. You need to come in with a pretty good understanding of genetics, biochem, acid/base chem. They may have an intro slide or two on some lectures but they assume you have a decent background from undergrad. Things move very fast, so you don't have a ton of time to go back to the basics when you're swamped with details and advanced material in lecture. Everyone has different strengths/weaknesses, and I learned to really put in a lot of time in my two weakest areas- biochem and genetics, and it paid off. This is because I came in with a weak background in those two subjects, so it took me a long time to understand the material.

Most students here seem to struggle with anatomy and physiology. First, because a lot of students never took A&P in undergrad, as it's not required for med school so the terminology and just sheer amount of memorization is difficult. In addition, the professors here for A&P are pretty bad. Otherwise, most other professors are great. After all, med school is really just you teaching yourself/friends and just learning by youtube/najeeb/first aid, and doing practice questions. Not to sound so negative, but that's the long story short lol. After all, you need to have a good basic understanding of undergrad pre-reqs, but med school is different as you are focusing more on disorders, drugs, what goes wrong, etc. They don't really teach that in undergrad, so a lot of the material is new.

Also, it's more about study habits and time management more than anything. I see a lot of people struggle with that here, and i'm sure at other carib schools too. You just need to be very self-motivated and have a strict study schedule.
Glad to hear some actual feedback on SGU! I appreciate that. (as opposed to all the negative comments / trolls )

thank you for the feedback

Good information About both University. But there are a lot more med schools in Caribbean where you can look for : Texila American University, Saba University, Avalon University etc which are also well established and with good pass rates.

Greetings fellow SDN members,
I have researched a good amount of posts regarding this topic here and in other well known forum sites. This has provided me with a good amount of information belonging to a time span of about 14 years (2003 to 2017) ranging from how class sizes have gone up, calculations of attrition rates and real match rates (from available data) and so on. I’ve also read posts like million dollar mistake, why the carribean might not be for you and so on. Eitherway I decided to create my own post mainly because I’m still in the process of deciding between Ross and SGU.

I have been accepted at both SGU and Ross for August and September 2018 and I’m currently in the process of making my final decision. Here is my train of though right now:

Ross:
- 2 personal friends also got accepted and are going there on september. Could mean a good study group or roomates...
-Currently in Tenesse with a possibility of a whole year there.
-Less time on Dominica
-Rotations might get tricky
-24k-25k per semester

SGU:
-Less attrition (in the end its how hard you focus though)
-Bigger School with more tools
-Organized rotation spots
-Better match rates...?
- 30-33k per semester

Both:
-Being IMG
-Never Matching
-Debt Debt Debt

In the end the caribbean route is a route you survive not something you thread lightly and it is due to this exact same reason I’m considering if the extra 5-9k per semester are worth it? Either way you will have to excel at steps, compete with US MD’s and DO’s who have equal or lower scores than you for mid-low tier programs and prove everyone wrong every step of the way. So what do you guys think SGU or Ross?

Extra pros and cons are higly apreciated.

Good information About both University. But there are a lot more med schools in Caribbean where you can look for : Texila American University, Saba University, Avalon University etc which are also well established and with good pass rates.

Ummm... no. Just... no.

Anyone stumbling into this forum, please take this poster's comments for what they are: musings of someone who joined this forum 3 weeks ago and has 7 posts. And - clearly - has demonstrated to this point zero depth or understanding about the subject on which they've decided to post.

-Skip

Texila and Avalon well established???? NO... do NOT got here. Saba can be a decent last option but be very very very careful.