Ross University Veterinary School May 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At least one extra outfit for sure. On my way down, my mom and I got stuck in Charlotte overnight (lost one outfit there, but we still had our luggage) and between St. Maarten and St. Kitt's (that's the route I took) LIAT did not bring my luggage, so outside of my spare clothes I had nothing. I know another girl (in clinicals now) whose entire family was without clothes for three days. Bring a spare outfit or two.

If you are on medication of any kind, bring a lot down with you. You can get prescriptions filled there but it can be time-consuming (doctors are only open on weekdays) and you may need a doctor's note to get meds in the mail (as in a St. Kitt's doctor's note). It's just easier to plan for longer and bring a bunch. The same is true for any particular feminine products, etc, you may need. You can get Hill's through the school and pedigree or purina (not sure which, I think pedigree) at grocery stores, but otherwise, if you have a certain brand of food your pets eat, bring it with you. Pet food is easier to get mailed to you than meds, but it can take a while to get there and shipping is expensive.

Air-tight containers (for pet food, or your food) are a good idea because if you leave anything out, the ants will come. Tiny, tiny ants. Lots. Also, a water filter is a good idea (you want the kind that can get giardia) since giardia etc is present in the tap water. The tap is mostly safe to drink, even without a filter (I drank straight from the tap, but I did get giardia once for like a week or so) but a filter makes life easier.

I if you guys have heard\seen about the centipedes yet, but they're there. Huge centipedes that bite. They usually get into your house through the A\C unit (don't place beds beneath these units or they may drop down on you in the night) or plumbing (bathrooms, etc, check the shower before you get in it!) On the island you can get this stuff called BOP, but BOP is banned in the USA (or so I was told) and is quite strong. You're meant to leave the house for several hours after using it and the residue can be harmful to pets and kids. A good smashing shoe or book is better.

579683_10201012132964360_1843370679_n_zpsstfvdp4l.jpg

Oh helllllllllll no!

Also, do you if there is access to RC rx diets?? My dogs on SO. Or is shipping the only option?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not see RC (I assume you're referring to Royal Canin, correct me if I'm wrong) on the island and the school only sells Hill's to my knowledge. I -think- the school can order prescription diets of Hill's, but I am not 100% sure and it would be better to check with the school now rather than later.

Another option is shipping the food in a barrel, but it's kind of a hassle (I know someone who did, who did not recommend it). Depending on whether or not someone's coming down with you, you might be able to bring enough down for the semester in one of your bags. Other than that, yes, shipping is the only option.

I did not see RC (I assume you're referring to Royal Canin, correct me if I'm wrong) on the island and the school only sells Hill's to my knowledge. I -think- the school can order prescription diets of Hill's, but I am not 100% sure and it would be better to check with the school now rather than later.

Another option is shipping the food in a barrel, but it's kind of a hassle (I know someone who did, who did not recommend it). Depending on whether or not someone's coming down with you, you might be able to bring enough down for the semester in one of your bags. Other than that, yes, shipping is the only option.

Yes, Royal Canin. Well that would be a bummer if I had to ship it . Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely need to plan ahead ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys so I applied for the September class and am still waiting after my interview. There is something I have always wondered about though. Sorry if this sounds silly but do vet students get discounted vet care or are vet expenses still pretty expensive as a student? Just wondering thanks!

Hey guys so I applied for the September class and am still waiting after my interview. There is something I have always wondered about though. Sorry if this sounds silly but do vet students get discounted vet care or are vet expenses still pretty expensive as a student? Just wondering thanks!

At Ross, we didn't get any special discounts for using the school's Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Sometimes you could sign your pets up for the student spay (that is, if your pet needed to be spayed you could allow a student to perform the surgery as part of their 7th semester class) and that might've been less expensive, but I am not certain. The VTH is really reasonable though, and they do see emergencies. The island also has its own vet (maybe two) but I've heard from fellow students they preferred using the VTH.

One thing I forgot to mention before... bring a GOOD flea and tick preventative and make sure it gets ticks. The ticks are terrible on the island and most of them carry ehrlichia. There's also some chatter about the ticks there being resistant to fipronil, and some people only had success after using the collars instead of just the topical. Advantix worked pretty well when I was there. You also have to be mindful of the indoor ticks; there were places where students found Rhipicephalus ticks in their homes and those are hard as heck to get rid of.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who just received a late acceptance to the May class freaking out about getting everything done on time? Received any good advice? I haven't received a packet or anything yet and not sure where to start :eek:

Did they send you an email of the packet? It's identical!

You can PM if you need any help!!!! @FutureVet88

I just got bumped up to May from September with the catch that I have to live off campus. Anyone else for May going to be off campus?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh wow! :eek:

Well I know a few students that are bringing their pets so they are living off campus and the Vet Prep (Jan 2015) will be living off campus next semester but they will be with us in 1st semester! :love:

I am going back in May also and they told me on campus housing was full as well

I won't be bringing my dog first semester since there's no way of doing rabies titers in three weeks but I guess I have to live off campus too now

Members don't see this ad :)
This is her post:

Hi guys!
Hope you’re super excited about moving to St. Kitts!
My roommate and I are looking for a third person to share our awesome 3 bedroom apartment with. Less than 15 minutes from campus, great location, very safe neighborhood. You’d have your own large room and bathroom, + shared full kitchen and huge living room area. Fully furnished, has air conditioning, washer&dryer, a fenced yard, and even a private pool! $766US per month water included, + 1/3 of electric and internet cost. Pets welcome as long as they are friendly with other animals (my dog is very well mannered, good with cats/dogs/rabbits/etc.).

requirements to be our roommate:
Must want to live with ridiculously cool people
Must enjoy petting dogs

Will post pics when I can get them. PM if interested.

Sooo I asked the lady at the post office where I can get my passport copied so I can send it to the NJ office and she literally told me "idk". Does anyone know where I can get a certified copy done?

Weve all had the same problem, no one will certify an official document. I'm just sending a colored copy that I made at home.

I won't be bringing my dog first semester since there's no way of doing rabies titers in three weeks but I guess I have to live off campus too now
I am in the same boat but thinking it is a blessing in disguise since it will give me a chance to see how everything is without the added strain of having my needy four legged child there. Plus, she loves my parents so I know she won't even miss me while she is with them.

I'm coming in August so everyone on this thread will have to keep us newbies in The loop during May semester!;)

Reactions: 2 users
@ssoehnlen the front page with the info and picture and then any page that has been stamped

What did you guys write about in your "personal paragraphs"?

@FutureVet88 I wrote about my interests academically and a little about my hobbies.

I always feel so awkward writing things like that. I wrote about half about my undergrad experience and what I am interested in within vet medicine and half about my personal hobbies.

18-20 days until we up and leave our lives behind here.....sad :(.......but :D
:soexcited:

Anyone having a heart attack yet? :soexcited:

@WeimMama :biglove: I am! Lol less than two weeks to go
I KNOW! I am like :claps: and then I remember how much stuff I still have to do and I am like :sorry:how am I ever going to get rid of a whole house full of stuff in like two weeks?!

Lmao yes!!!! Thats why I gave in and shipped a barrel today! :whistle:

Lmao yes!!!! Thats why I gave in and shipped a barrel today! :whistle:
Which company did you use? About what was the cost? I've been doing research because I'm about 85% sure I'm going to have to ship a barrel when I go in August.

Rd2vetmed,
Are you looking for someone from May class? I'll be down in August and I'm looking for a home :3

Which company did you use? About what was the cost? I've been doing research because I'm about 85% sure I'm going to have to ship a barrel when I go in August.

@ms.tiff I used Tropical Shipping cause they were cheaper for me and they were the ones to actually explain it to me and be helpful with the whole process. I was going crazy today, scared and worried and they were just so nice! They already know about our situation! :D

A 75 gallon barrel is $30 the dimensions are 24''L x 24''W x 43''H (14 cubic feet) it was pretty huge!!!!!!!!!!!! in total everything was $109 (it gets there in a week)

@ms.tiff I used Tropical Shipping cause they were cheaper for me and they were the ones to actually explain it to me and be helpful with the whole process. I was going crazy today, scared and worried and they were just so nice! They already know about our situation! :D

A 75 gallon barrel is $30 the dimensions are 24''L x 24''W x 43''H (14 cubic feet) it was pretty huge!!!!!!!!!!!! in total everything was $109 (it gets there in a week)
Wow that's much more reasonable than I thought considering a third thing of luggage would be $150 anyway and I'm sure the barrel is MUCH larger. I might actually have to consider it.

Wow that's much more reasonable than I thought considering a third thing of luggage would be $150 anyway and I'm sure the barrel is MUCH larger. I might actually have to consider it.

Yeah I honestly thought it was well worth it and if you time it right you can ship it ahead of time and it'll arrive at the same time as you. I'm using a broker, to do the paperwork and they pick it up and delivery it to your apartment. I'm using woodsrite enterprises.

Even with that barrel I still have a lot to take lol but it's going to be cheaper and less of a hassle, imagine one person carrying 5 bags XD

Yeah I honestly thought it was well worth it and if you time it right you can ship it ahead of time and it'll arrive at the same time as you. I'm using a broker, to do the paperwork and they pick it up and delivery it to your apartment. I'm using woodsrite enterprises.

Even with that barrel I still have a lot to take lol but it's going to be cheaper and less of a hassle, imagine one person carrying 5 bags XD

How does the whole broker thing work? I don't even know where to begin....here comes the anxiety.

@ms.tiff You just email them asking about their service and they will explain it. So you basically go to the shipping company, put all your stuff in the barrel, pay for it. Then you send the broker the receipt, the number they give you and a brief packing list. They pick it up for you when it gets to the island and then they will bring it to your apartment. :)

This is the email they sent:

Many thanks for contacting us. We would be delighted to handle your shipment upon arrival in St. Kitts.
We provide full customs brokerage and delivery services.

My suggestion for shipping your goods to St.Kitts would be to use the
services of Amerijet International for air shipment (lighter packages) or Tropical Shipping for
sea shipment (weightier packages). Amerijet (www.amerijet.com) provides three (3) times weekly
air cargo service to St. Kitts. Tropical Shipping (www.tropical.com) provides weekly ocean freight service to St. Kitts. FEDEX / UPS/ DHL are options as well, for packages that are needed quickly/ urgently.
Whichever means you decide to use for shipping, inquire from the agents how long the shipment
takes to get to St.Kitts and also the cost for shipping/ freight, so that you can determine when and who would be best to ship with. Please ensure that your Freight charges are paid in advance, from your end.

If you decide to engage in our services, when you take your goods to the shipping company, you should consign the
shipment to us (e.g. (Your full name), Ross University c/o Woodsrite
Enterprises, Bird Rock Industrial Park, St. Kitts). You should also provide
us with a brief packing list of your goods, and a
copy of the Airway Bill or Bill of Lading for Customs purposes.

Once you have shipped your effects, we would also need you to email a copy
of the bill of lading/ airway bill or booking # for tracking purposes; along
with a brief packing list of the items. We would need to know the estimated date of arrival as well.

Our fee for customs clearance and delivery is dependent on the volume and weight; however the minimum for up to 2 barrels is US$65.00. This fee isexclusive of any Customs Duties, Taxes, Port Fees, or Releasing
Fees to be charged. We will pay all the customs duties (if any) and other
charges, and ADD to your bill.

Please note that customs duties are determined solely by the discretion of the
customs officer examining the effects at the time. It would be helpful to
provide us with prices of any new, expensive items (i.e. electronics), so that Customs
don't overvalue.

Once cleared, we would call to schedule delivery date and let you know the total charges.
Payment is expected upon delivery (US$ or EC$
cash, as we don't have a credit card facility, or if you have a local
checking account, we accept local cheques).

If shipment is sent via sea, once the vessel arrives, it takes about 2-3
days before we have access to it at the Customs/Port Warehouse. If sent via
air, we can usually get it customs cleared the same day if the flight arrives
early before the Customs close at 3pm.

Provide us with a local contact number and the delivery address (once you
arrive).

Our working hours are Monday through Friday 8am -430pm. No deliveries are made on Saturdays and Sundays, or public holidays.

Hope we can be of assistance to you. Feel free to contact us should you have
any further questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone ready for the trip? Anyone leaving tomorrow?

Any of you newbies in Patrick's orientation group?

Quick questions guys my family wants to buy me scrubs for my birthday and I was wondering does Ross require a certain color?

Quick questions guys my family wants to buy me scrubs for my birthday and I was wondering does Ross require a certain color?

You can wear any color EXCEPT green, because that is reserved for 7th semester students during their surgeries, etc.

How did orientation week go? Everyone ready for classes to start tomorrow?:highfive:

hello! hope everything is going well for everyone! Are there any things in particular anyone would suggest a person to bring?