Ross University Veterinary School - September 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When are people flying down for the September class?

Members don't see this ad.

For those going in September, keep in mind hurricane season is in the fall, so you may encounter delays. When my mum and I flew down, we ended up having our flight cancelled for that reason. Only delayed a day, but still.

Also, don't fly LIAT. Just don't. There's a reason Rossies refer to it as "luggage is arriving tomorrow."

Members don't see this ad :)
When are people flying down for the September class?

I haven't booked my flight or anything yet but I am planning on arriving August 29th..I'm coming from the West Coast so I'll likely leave on the 28th. Are your families coming for the white coat ceremony?

My mom is, if she is feeling up to it she is going through chemo right now.

My mom is, if she is feeling up to it she is going through chemo right now.
My parents will be there too. Hope your mom finds strength during this hard time! Looking forward to seeing you both on the island :)

We should be getting our welcome packets in the mail in the next week or two...

Hi all! I just withdrew my seat as I was accepted off the waitlist at a school closer to home. Ross seems like an amazing program and I know everyone will have an amazing time! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I just withdrew my seat as I was accepted off the waitlist at a school closer to home. Ross seems like an amazing program and I know everyone will have an amazing time! Good luck!
Congrats on your other offer! Do you mind saying where you'll be going?

Hi Everyone!

I just withdrew my seat as well as I was accepted to a school much closer to home! I hope it goes to a fellow SDN'er & someone else gets the opportunity to fulfill their dream of becoming a veterinarian. It was honestly a hard decision for me to withdraw from Ross because I had paid my deposit for the class [guess I will just be out that $1000] but I was also super pumped for a caribbean adventure. I will be a little jealous of everyone at Ross come winter time! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what our semester color is going to be?

Sooo has anyone found any good websites for cheaper flights or a particular airline that they would recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when our welcome packet will be arriving??? I feel like I have so much to do and I don't even know where to start...

so this might sound stupid, but what exactly are these colored semesters all about?? I'm so confused about it...

Does anyone know when our welcome packet will be arriving??? I feel like I have so much to do and I don't even know where to start...
I'm wondering the same thing! And I noticed you were from Georgia! I live here too, Kennesaw. Mind me asking where abouts in Ga you live?

I'm wondering the same thing! And I noticed you were from Georgia! I live here too, Kennesaw. Mind me asking where abouts in Ga you live?
So glad there will be someone else from GA there, I live around the Valdosta area.

I'm black semester. I think it's to differentiate the semesters for the purpose of fundraising and events like semester olympics and Mr. Ross. And its funny having colors instead of semester numbers! :D

Isha usually emails the welcome packet so you can start it!

so this might sound stupid, but what exactly are these colored semesters all about?? I'm so confused about it...
The colors are just kind of a semester unity type of thing...each semester has a color and rather than saying like 5th semester or 1st semester you just refer to the color. It was especially helpful in the airport when I was coming down for the first time and I just wanted someone to talk to once I said goodbye to my fiance...I saw a girl sitting by herself with the same colored shirt and said in a pipsqeak voice "....are you going to Ross?" And she was my first friend :) We have semester olympics at the beginning and it's fun to dress up in your class color and get competitive. It's basically just a way for your class to bond. You have the color all the way through! So if you don't like the color beneath you...in my case it's orange...blah...don't fail! lol

Sooo has anyone found any good websites for cheaper flights or a particular airline that they would recommend?
I use Kayak to search for cheap flights but sometimes it's just easier and more secure booking right through the airline's website. Unfortunately, only a few airlines actually fly to St. Kitts. In peak tourist seasons, Delta flies on Saturdays. But otherwise I think just American and US Airways fly to St. Kitts from the US. They're in the process of merging so pretty soon there will only be 2 airlines. I would agree with the other post to avoid LIAT at all costs. Unfortunately, the airlines have caught on to when students fly to and leave the island and they price gouge. It sucks.

Looking back at past forums..it looks like we should get them in the next week or two now that the May class has started:pompous:

I'm booking my flight this week...I looked on Kayak and directly on Delta, AA, and US Airways...they are all about the same. I'm coming from Seattle area and my ticket (round trip, coming home for a visit at Christmas) is $905.00. Hoping our semester color is green!:D

I'm booking my flight this week...I looked on Kayak and directly on Delta, AA, and US Airways...they are all about the same. I'm coming from Seattle area and my ticket (round trip, coming home for a visit at Christmas) is $905.00. Hoping our semester color is green!:D
Which airline are you flying?

I'm flyin AA. Yall be sure to sign up for the rewards program whichever yall decide so if you gain so many miles, you might get free flights or discounts! The vet I work for did that. She said with the traveling back and forth in the two and a half years she got a flight or two free with all the mileage.

I'm flyin AA. Yall be sure to sign up for the rewards program whichever yall decide so if you gain so many miles, you might get free flights or discounts! The vet I work for did that. She said with the traveling back and forth in the two and a half years she got a flight or two free with all the mileage.
Have you ever flown AA? I've always flown delta so I don't know anything about AA

I emailed Bill Bingham and he said mid-May they start sending the welcome packets.

I see everyone talking about semester colors. Is first semester black? Which color would Vet prep be?

So I entered in May 2015, my class along with Vet Prep for May 2015 will always be known as the Black Semester.

When September comes (lets say you guys will be green) Then VP May 2015 becomes part of the Green semester with the First semester of Sep 2015.

I hope I explained it okay lol :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
Which airline are you flying?
I'm flying AA. Never flown with them before, sohope all goes well. @breebird -yes! I did sign up for AA rewards. Looking forward to seeing my welcome packet in the mail. I'll be flrying in a bit early on Aug. 26 with my parents so we can chill a bit before orientation starts :) Planning on living in student housing, likely with 1 or 2 roomates...what about everyone else?

Have you ever flown AA? I've always flown delta so I don't know anything about AA

No I've never flown AA, I usually fly Southwest and have flown Delta once. So we shall see! I'm flying in Saturday, August 29th. Probably alone, I doubt anyone else will be able to come with me. :/ mer. oh well. I'm planning on living by myself this first semester. So do our welcome packets have our semester color in there? I'm excited to get it and get all the information!

Me too! I'm not sure if we get the color as the same time as the Welcome packets :claps:

Is anyone flying out from SOCAL?? Does anyone know if we get to choose if we want to live on our own/with roommates in the on campus housing or do they choose for us??

Is anyone flying out from SOCAL?? Does anyone know if we get to choose if we want to live on our own/with roommates in the on campus housing or do they choose for us??
I think the welcome packet let's you rank your preferences on living alone in a single unit vs. living with one or two roommates...then they pair you with roomates if there are no singles. I'm not entirely sure though. You could ask the people in the May 2015 thread:) They may have a better answer!

I'm originally from the Bay Area :)

I live in San Diego, but I will be moving to MS in June due to my husband's military order. I wish I could stay and fly out from SOCAL :(:(

I'm sure we get to choose, first come first serve kinda thing probably. but i thought i read somewhere there were more single unit rooms than roommate style units...i could be wrong though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure we get to choose, first come first serve kinda thing probably. but i thought i read somewhere there were more single unit rooms than roommate style units...i could be wrong though.
That's correct... More singles than doubles/triples, which fill up faster due to them being cheaper. So if you really want one make sure you send the form in sooner rather than later.

awesome, thanks for all the answers. I'm so excited and nervous. It sure will be a great experience though :biglove:

Is anyone thinking about doing the integrated DVM MSc program?

I got accepted to the vet prep program and am super excited. Anyone from Canada?? I don't know how the consistent warm weather will be... I love my winters.

Katie: What is your last name? I believe we met at the LA Connections event and I don't think I got your contact info to find you on Facebook :) you may have already told me but I forgot to write it down..

Katie: What is your last name? I believe we met at the LA Connections event and I don't think I got your contact info to find you on Facebook :) you may have already told me but I forgot to write it down..
Hey! Its Katie Moss and yeah! Feel free to add me on facebook or any other social media. Haha.

Hello! I just recently submitted my application and was wondering about housing. I saw that it's required to live on campus for the first semester. Do you have the option to living on campus on subsequent semesters or do you have to find off-campus housing?

Hello! I just recently submitted my application and was wondering about housing. I saw that it's required to live on campus for the first semester. Do you have the option to living on campus on subsequent semesters or do you have to find off-campus housing?
Unfortunately living on campus is only an option for the first semester. Then you'll need to find off campus housing. Trust me though...I was itching to move off campus and it's a lot cheaper!

Hello I recently found this site and forum and realized too late I shouldn't fly LIAT but it's okay I'll know for next time . I was accepted to the Vet Prep program for the fall program. Did anyone receive the welcome packet yet? If so is that where the paperwork is for dorming options ?