Ross University Veterinary School - September 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad to hear that they are extending regular class seats for May to some fall vet preppers - if they extended that to me I would take it just because I am basically doing nothing but working and waiting to go! LOL! Anyway, see you preppers and other accepted folks in September :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If starting in May is something you're really interested in I would ask them. It can't hurt and it definitely sounds like they need May folks. They were even offering a $7,000 grant toward first semester tuition.

I still have not heard. How did yall hear? Mail, email, or phone call??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewer called me but I missed it so than he emailed me. Before I saw the email though I had called him back and he told me over the phone. He did say that he apologizes for it taking so long. He had found out a little while ago I had been accepted but didn't get a chance to inform me till now :/ I'm sure you will find out soon! Hang in there!

If starting in May is something you're really interested in I would ask them. It can't hurt and it definitely sounds like they need May folks. They were even offering a $7,000 grant toward first semester tuition.

Wait, what?? I wasn't offered financial incentives to start in May o_O....Now I'm gonna ask lol

I still have not heard. How did yall hear? Mail, email, or phone call??
My interviewer told me by email, it seemed very informal, then I got the formal email and then the mail packet.

@pirateslayme

I don't know if I should outright ask to join May if they are offering regular matriculation... I haven't gotten a passport yet but was planning to two week rush it anyway... does that seem like too crazy of a thing, to want to go for May?

Okay, I just had to email them and ask about my application status and when I might hear something. I can't stand this wait...I'm so impatient. Lol hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow. My friend said they sometimes contact ppl in order according to where you live. Where yall from?

Anyone from SoCal area attending "connection event" on 11th of this month?

Is that for new students? Do they have them anywhere else in CA? I'm from SF!

Is that for new students? Do they have them anywhere else in CA? I'm from SF!
I'm from San Anselmo but living in Seattle right now. What part of SF are you from?:)

The only connection event in CA is in L.A. on April 11th. There will be alumni and other Rossies to answer questions I believe. Not sure if there will be another event like this before the fall class starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewer told me by email, it seemed very informal, then I got the formal email and then the mail packet.

@pirateslayme

I don't know if I should outright ask to join May if they are offering regular matriculation... I haven't gotten a passport yet but was planning to two week rush it anyway... does that seem like too crazy of a thing, to want to go for May?
You should go if you are able to! It would most likely be a smaller class size which would be an advantage...and the tuition Grant/incentive would definitely be a plus! If I could, I would have gone in May instead, as they offered that option to me as well, but I have a family commitment this summer that I can't miss.

You should go if you are able to! It would most likely be a smaller class size which would be an advantage...and the tuition Grant/incentive would definitely be a plus! If I could, I would have gone in May instead, as they offered that option to me as well, but I have a family commitment this summer that I can't miss.
I am going!

Reactions: 1 users
Where can I find specific info on the event in LA?

@DVMDream1519 So I just now remembered to check this thread! But I will definitely be getting a car eventually, probably within first semester. I am going to e-mail Bill and ask him for advice on booking the return flights around finals/moving etc. I will not be attending the meet & greet in L.A. [I wish I was] I am not actually from California [also wish I was] I am from IL [I wanted to be anonymous until I was accepted in case any vet schools check these threads]. There is a meet & greet in Chicago but unfortunately I have to work that weekend as well. So I am still basically planning to fly to St. Kitts from STL to Miami to St. Kitts on Saturday Aug. 29th and hopefully can figure out the return date stuff soon. I am pretty positive first semester dorm students are to check out of dorms on Thursday afternoon after their last finals are completed, so I would assume a Friday flight home for break would be safe to book. I would hope a thursday evening or friday morning is enough time to get situated between dorm/apartment stuff.

On another note: CONGRATS TO ALL SEPTEMBER ACCEPTANCES!! I AM SO EXCITED & SO EXCITED TO MEET CLASSMATES AND START THIS AWESOME ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know when the class facebook group/page becomes a thing? Would love to get to see some of my classmates via facebook or instagram!

Happy Easter everyone!

Hope everyone had a great Easter :) @aw53 I think they send the link for the Facebook group sometime in May after we GET our Welcome packets.

Hi all! I was recently accepted for the September Vet Prep program!!! I have taken a course / improved my experience since submitting my application so I'm currently looking into seeing if I can get accepted for the regular September class. Either way it looks like I'll be heading down to St. Kitts soon!

I went down to St. Kitts to visit Ross a couple of weeks ago. The campus is gorgeous, everyone was so friendly, and the overall atmosphere was really wonderful! The trip really helped to finalize my decision about attending Ross, and I have paid my deposit for the September 2015 class!

Reactions: 5 users
Well I FINALLY got an answer yall..and I'll be joining the Vet Med program this September! Phew! I was nervous. So woohoo! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Well I FINALLY got an answer yall..and I'll be joining the Vet Med program this September! Phew! I was nervous. So woohoo! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Good to know another person has been accepted! looking forward to the journey starting as well

Hi future classmates! Just got accepted into the DVM program for September!! I'm way too excited about this.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey September class! Congrats on getting accepted! Im in the May class, ill be leaving in less than two weeks! :biglove::soexcited:

If any of you need any help or have any questions on the process just PM me! The closer it gets the more anxious we get!

Hello everyone! I was also accepted for the September class!! Anyone from Northern California??

Hey I was wondering if any current students or anyone else going through this process can help me out. I'm in the market to buy a new laptop and am really looking into the lightest ones possible. I have been looking into the MacBook Air as well as the new MacBook. The problem with these is they don't have any cd rom drives. I was thinking maybe I could get a portable cd rom to attach to the computer. So my question is how necessary is this? Do we need cd rom drives for the ebooks? Also in terms of the ebooks do many purchase books through the school or through Amazon? I'm really looking for the cheapest way possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey I was wondering if any current students or anyone else going through this process can help me out. I'm in the market to buy a new laptop and am really looking into the lightest ones possible. I have been looking into the MacBook Air as well as the new MacBook. The problem with these is they don't have any cd rom drives. I was thinking maybe I could get a portable cd rom to attach to the computer. So my question is how necessary is this? Do we need cd rom drives for the ebooks? Also in terms of the ebooks do many purchase books through the school or through Amazon? I'm really looking for the cheapest way possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

This past weekend I went to the informational meeting in LA and spoke with an alumni student about this. She didnt really have much to talk about it except that its important to have a reliable computer, and that she had a notebook that she would take to class for her notes. :| Im would really recommend the Macbook. I got mine in 2010 and its still working great! Im debating on bringing it to use as my computer in the Caribbean (along with an iPad) or getting a new one..

This past weekend I went to the informational meeting in LA and spoke with an alumni student about this. She didnt really have much to talk about it except that its important to have a reliable computer, and that she had a notebook that she would take to class for her notes. :| Im would really recommend the Macbook. I got mine in 2010 and its still working great! Im debating on bringing it to use as my computer in the Caribbean (along with an iPad) or getting a new one..

Yeah I have had a MacBook since 2007 lol. It has been a great computer and has lasted awhile but it has slowed significantly and don't see it lasting another year let alone 4!! From what I have heard from vet students is that there is so much information in lectures that it is difficult to write it all down in a notebook and bringing a computer to class is the way to go. I have loved my current computer but it is also too heavy to lug around so I'm really looking for the lightest, most convenient one possible. Apple just came out with a new MacBook that is super light but again it doesn't have a cd or flash drive. I might end up asking the school if this would be an issue...

We asked the students and this was their response:

the teachers post all the documents & the books can be downloaded online onto your computer.

And if you ever need to access a cd drive you can use the library computers, extract the files there, and save it onto a thumb or cloud for later access on your laptop. No need to bring external cd roms or a laptop with cd rom drive

Hope it helps!

And as for buying the books... they now have the ebooks included in your tuition its like $128 (sort of forced) if you want the hardcovers, everyone has told us to wait because the upper semesters are always selling them ( <----and that is very true!)

We asked the students and this was their response:

the teachers post all the documents & the books can be downloaded online onto your computer.

And if you ever need to access a cd drive you can use the library computers, extract the files there, and save it onto a thumb or cloud for later access on your laptop. No need to bring external cd roms or a laptop with cd rom drive

Hope it helps!

That's perfect! Thanks!

On topic of laptops..I think I will be purchasing a new Macbook Pro because mine is old, heavy, and probably dying on me as I type this and I can't even fathom my laptop crashing in veterinary school, on an island. I think I will also bring my ipad and potentially get a keyboard for my ipad? Maybe that will be lighter/easier to carry to class or easier to read the ebooks on and type on my laptop? so many things to ponder! I am happy ross went to ebooks & we wont be toting around textbooks on top of laptops etc. Does anyone have any experience with using their ipad with a keyboard and typing on the ipad, is it basically the same as a Mac but smaller? I have just always used mine for things other than typing.

Secondly, I know it is a caribbean island but has anyone wondered if we should bring a sweatshirt or something of the sort? I know I wont be wearing hoodies everyday but I didn't know if it was a good idea to bring 1 or 2. And/or a rain jacket? I wish someone would give me a list that said PACK THESE THINGS!!!

I was reading in another thread about how ticks on the island are really bad, anyone bringing pets should bring flea and tick prevention with. I will remember this if I do end up with an island pet, bringing it from home would probably be cheapest?

has anyone looked into any shipping companies if they are shipping things? I know previous semesters have used barrels rather than boxes. Just wondered what everyone else had been up to as far as researching what to bring and how to get there etc.

Im so excited, but so overwhelmed at the same time. What a major life change, but hopefully the best decision I will ever make!

On topic of laptops..I think I will be purchasing a new Macbook Pro because mine is old, heavy, and probably dying on me as I type this and I can't even fathom my laptop crashing in veterinary school, on an island. I think I will also bring my ipad and potentially get a keyboard for my ipad? Maybe that will be lighter/easier to carry to class or easier to read the ebooks on and type on my laptop? so many things to ponder! I am happy ross went to ebooks & we wont be toting around textbooks on top of laptops etc. Does anyone have any experience with using their ipad with a keyboard and typing on the ipad, is it basically the same as a Mac but smaller? I have just always used mine for things other than typing.

Secondly, I know it is a caribbean island but has anyone wondered if we should bring a sweatshirt or something of the sort? I know I wont be wearing hoodies everyday but I didn't know if it was a good idea to bring 1 or 2. And/or a rain jacket? I wish someone would give me a list that said PACK THESE THINGS!!!

I was reading in another thread about how ticks on the island are really bad, anyone bringing pets should bring flea and tick prevention with. I will remember this if I do end up with an island pet, bringing it from home would probably be cheapest?

has anyone looked into any shipping companies if they are shipping things? I know previous semesters have used barrels rather than boxes. Just wondered what everyone else had been up to as far as researching what to bring and how to get there etc.

Im so excited, but so overwhelmed at the same time. What a major life change, but hopefully the best decision I will ever make!

Well since it's an island it does rain a lot. Sweatshirts or sweater, they said the classrooms are freezing!

If you look at my prior post you'll see what I wrote about the barrel shipping. (Just did it yesterday) :clap: I think its very worth it!

Oh and a lot of students use their tablets and download a note taking app, theres a specific one for ipad, I think they said it was Notability.

Hello everyone! I was also accepted for the September class!! Anyone from Northern California??
It was nice to meet you last weekend! My mom is just as excited as I am...I think she asked just as many questions. She wishes she was moving there haha

I work with a DVM that went to Ross and have been asking her a LOT of questions. She said that there is a dry season and a wet season. So yes, a rain jacket (and i'll be bringing rain boots!) is probably a good idea. Also a good idea to bring a jacket/hoodie, she said while a lot of place's A/C isn't the best, the classrooms are FREEZING!

Apparently the on-campus housing is new. She graduated from there about six years ago and they did not have that. So at least, hopefully, the dorms will be nice!

I've been looking on instagram at the #RUSVM tag, I'm getting pretty excited!!

I am going CRAZY waiting! I interviewed the first week of March and I was told it would be four weeks from then that I'd hear an answer. I still haven't heard. :[ Also, does everyone get an interview or are applicants chosen based on their credentials?

Thanks!

I am going CRAZY waiting! I interviewed the first week of March and I was told it would be four weeks from then that I'd hear an answer. I still haven't heard. :[ Also, does everyone get an interview or are applicants chosen based on their credentials?

Thanks!

Hang tight some dont hear for 8 weeks. You'll hear soon! Also I don't believe everyone is interviewed so they must be chosen based on credentials.

It was nice to meet you last weekend! My mom is just as excited as I am...I think she asked just as many questions. She wishes she was moving there haha

It was nice meeting you too! Feel free to add me on facebook or anything else if you wanna chat some more. And thanks again for giving me the heads up about this page!

Hey September class! Just made it to St. Kitts, we went to the grocery store and there is a lot of american food much more than what I expected. One tip is pack snacks or something. I ate breakfast before leaving home at like 6am and didnt get food until 8:30PM and theres nothing around the dorms, no vending machines.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey September class! Just made it to St. Kitts, we went to the grocery store and there is a lot of american food much more than what I expected. One tip is pack snacks or something. I ate breakfast before leaving home at like 6am and didnt get food until 8:30PM and theres nothing around the dorms, no vending machines.
Was the american food expensive? Is it as pretty there as it looks in pictures?

Awesome @rd2vetmed ! When you arrived at the airport in St. Kitts, were you greeted by someone? And did you get all your stuff you shipped over before heading to the dorms? sorry i have a lot of questions regarding the shipping process..

Was the american food expensive? Is it as pretty there as it looks in pictures?

So, it depends on the food. Sometimes the frozen stuff is quite pricey, but otherwise it's not terrible. Keep in mind you'll have to get used to thinking in East Caribbean Dollars : )

@ms.tiff Ill try and take some pictures of the food when we go back to the store, its a little weird because everything is in EC, it is a little pricey but its okay. And the island is beautiful.

@breebirdd the flight, typically the plane you come in will have a few rossies, so you get off the plane walk to customs, make that huge line (make sure you fill out the paper they give you) and then you get your bags, if you have really heavy bags like I did, there are guys there that will carry them and you tip them a few bucks. When you go out the door you will see the ross sign and then you find your orientation leader. It wasn't stressful, everyone was nice!

I did ship a barrel. And brought two checked bags, bookbag and a carryon. (Yes I feel like I overpacked lol but it made me feel better) lol

Ask away! :D