1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ross vs. St. Georges vs. Canadian schools

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Unga, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Unga

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been accepted into both Ross and St. Georges for January 2012 admission. I'm a Canadian citizen who is also considering applying to McMaster University in Canada. My ultimate goal is to work in the United States and I hope to land a residency there. What would you recommend that I should do? Does anyone know the pros and cons of Ross and St. Georges, and how Caribbean schools in general rank relative to Canadian schools in the eyes of American hospitals for residency placement and hiring?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Giemsa

Giemsa Eat some leafy greens!
    5+ Year Member

Apply to and attend a US med school.

If you can get into McMaster, you can definitely get into a US school.

#2 Giemsa, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. RussianJoo

RussianJoo Useless Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    go to www.valuemd.com and read the forums for the ROSS and SGU schools.

5. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends on your stats and what your upper limit of bull**** tolerance is.

If you're "considering" McMaster, why not try applying? Do note that it would quite harder to get into McMaster compared to SGU/Ross.

6. O2Doc

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree, why not try applying to US schools if you're applying Caribbean?

Mac for some reason seems to be held in high regard in the US, at least by the program admins I've talked to (at Duke and UNC). I found the program somewhat irritating and so did most of my class (to the point of a couple of fractious "clear the air" meetings with insanely dogmatic higher-ups); I think they moved to a bit more didactic teaching in the past few years, but I can't be sure.
    You'd have to do the Steps on your own though. No Canadian school teaches to the Step 1 like US schools do.

7. drgioiadds

drgioiadds DDS c/o 2002; DO c/o 2016
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    If you are considering Mac, why not the others??

8. septoplasty

septoplasty Exceptional
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Not to beat a dead horse, but if he's a canadian citizen, then he can't apply to 95% of US Med schools because they only accept American residents / citizens ONLY. Which is also a rate limiting factor of residency's (H1/J1 requirements for any other nationals -- including Canadians).

OP: Think 2x before going through this as its getting harder and harder. (not to deter you from your dream, but as physicians, we tend to look more towards the realistic side of things)

9. PteFabulous

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well frankly Canadian med school are way more competitive simple because we have so few of them. For many Canadians, it's a lot easier to get into a US medical school even as an international student then it is to get into a Canadian school.

10. macstjo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Technically, 95% of all US schools ACCEPT Canadian applicants (or international applicants), but 95% of those 95% schools have accepted either 1 or 2 international applicants each year or none.

11. djquickfingers

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just finished up at Ross, and alot of my classmates were Canadian. The school does alot as far as get you info about getting residencies, and rotations in Canada. They have a good track record of placing residents in Canada as well. I don't know anything about SGU, but as far as Ross is concerned, its doable. You'll have to jump thru hoops, just like any other Carib school

12. macstjo

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sounds great :laugh::laugh: