Ross vs. St. Georges vs. Canadian schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into both Ross and St. Georges for January 2012 admission. I'm a Canadian citizen who is also considering applying to McMaster University in Canada. My ultimate goal is to work in the United States and I hope to land a residency there. What would you recommend that I should do? Does anyone know the pros and cons of Ross and St. Georges, and how Caribbean schools in general rank relative to Canadian schools in the eyes of American hospitals for residency placement and hiring?

Members don't see this ad.

My ultimate goal is to work in the United States and I hope to land a residency there. What would you recommend that I should do?

Apply to and attend a US med school.

If you can get into McMaster, you can definitely get into a US school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your stats and what your upper limit of bull**** tolerance is.

If you're "considering" McMaster, why not try applying? Do note that it would quite harder to get into McMaster compared to SGU/Ross.

I agree, why not try applying to US schools if you're applying Caribbean?

Mac for some reason seems to be held in high regard in the US, at least by the program admins I've talked to (at Duke and UNC). I found the program somewhat irritating and so did most of my class (to the point of a couple of fractious "clear the air" meetings with insanely dogmatic higher-ups); I think they moved to a bit more didactic teaching in the past few years, but I can't be sure.
You'd have to do the Steps on your own though. No Canadian school teaches to the Step 1 like US schools do.

If you are considering Mac, why not the others??

I agree, why not try applying to US schools if you're applying Caribbean?

Mac for some reason seems to be held in high regard in the US, at least by the program admins I've talked to (at Duke and UNC). I found the program somewhat irritating and so did most of my class (to the point of a couple of fractious "clear the air" meetings with insanely dogmatic higher-ups); I think they moved to a bit more didactic teaching in the past few years, but I can't be sure.
You'd have to do the Steps on your own though. No Canadian school teaches to the Step 1 like US schools do.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if he's a canadian citizen, then he can't apply to 95% of US Med schools because they only accept American residents / citizens ONLY. Which is also a rate limiting factor of residency's (H1/J1 requirements for any other nationals -- including Canadians).

OP: Think 2x before going through this as its getting harder and harder. (not to deter you from your dream, but as physicians, we tend to look more towards the realistic side of things)

Not to beat a dead horse, but if he's a canadian citizen, then he can't apply to 95% of US Med schools because they only accept American residents / citizens ONLY. Which is also a rate limiting factor of residency's (H1/J1 requirements for any other nationals -- including Canadians).

OP: Think 2x before going through this as its getting harder and harder. (not to deter you from your dream, but as physicians, we tend to look more towards the realistic side of things)

Well frankly Canadian med school are way more competitive simple because we have so few of them. For many Canadians, it's a lot easier to get into a US medical school even as an international student then it is to get into a Canadian school.

I just finished up at Ross, and alot of my classmates were Canadian. The school does alot as far as get you info about getting residencies, and rotations in Canada. They have a good track record of placing residents in Canada as well. I don't know anything about SGU, but as far as Ross is concerned, its doable. You'll have to jump thru hoops, just like any other Carib school