Rotating internship ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fwenchie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Just curious as to how many rotating internships people ranked/will rank when they apply through the VIRMP? Obviously an applicant would be less likely to be successful in the match if they ranked very few internships. However, I remember reading somewhere that applicants who ranked too many internships were also not as successful.

Not sure how this would be the case due to the way the algorithm works... Perhaps these applications were also slightly below average and just decided to rank as many places as they could and hope for a spot somewhere... Yet, may not have matched regardless..?

I'm currently sitting on a list of 25 internships that I would go to if matched. Could cut it down, but is there any point besides saving the extra $$ it costs to rank above a certain number of places?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally ranked 20 (I think that was the second tier of things you could pay?), but I was a slightly below average applicant. I matched to my #17 of 20. Sounds low but I was pretty happy...that #17 was the only practice I visited and spent any time at...I ranked a bunch of academic 'reach programs' I probably really had no real chance at due to my GPA, then the end of my list was the places I actually felt I had a shot at. My three internmates all ranked <10 and our practice was in their top three or four. One only ranked three places. I think how many to apply for is a personal decision and there are a lot of factors at play. My only advice is just don't rank somewhere you aren't actually willing to go.

25 internships seems like a lot to me but I only applied to 10 and ended up ranking 4. I matched to my #1 ranked place. I don't think there's necessarily any downfall to ranking more programs aside from cost, I just cut my list down because after interviews I wasn't interested in going to the other 6 places.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied to 10 and ranked I think 9 of them (about 5o-50 academic and private practice). I ended up not matching, and wished that I had applied to/ranked more. My GPA/class rank was okay, but not great, and I don't think I realized at the time just how mediocre it was - I could have applied either more widely or more wisely.

Your are not penalized by ranking more programs, other than the cost. When deciding whether to rank any particular program, ask yourself "Would I rather do an internship at this program or not do an internship?"

I just was a hoping for clarification on this...when you say you apply for X many and only rank Y many how are you differentiating these? I was under the impression that most places did not interview for small animal rotating internships and that once you submitted your application that was it and you couldn't withdraw.

I just was a hoping for clarification on this...when you say you apply for X many and only rank Y many how are you differentiating these? I was under the impression that most places did not interview for small animal rotating internships and that once you submitted your application that was it and you couldn't withdraw.

There are two deadlines - the first to apply to places, the second for your rank list. Once you apply, the places that interview can do their interviews of their applicants (as an applicant, you may have to request and interview from some places) so that both of you can narrow down your lists. The rank list deadline is usually in January. That's when you numerically rank the programs. The number you apply to and the number you rank can be different -- maybe you interview somewhere and decide you don't want to go there, so you don't rank it. You can only only match with a program if they have you on their rank list AND you have them on your rank list. There is a later deadline after which you can't withdraw your application; you'd need to check the website as to when that falls, but it's definitely after the initial December application deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
As mentioned above, you can rank as many programs as you want. Other than costing more, it doesn't penalize you in any way. Overall, it is important to remember that applying to and ranking more programs doesn't increase the likelihood of matching.

Programs must be evaluated closely - you're looking to see if the program would be a good fit for you. You should not apply to programs just because of reputation. Yes, program X is great but interns spend 65% on ER. If you don't like ER medicine and are not looking to become an emergency and critical resident, it probably would not be a good fit for you. It doesn't mean you won't apply and rank it, but you're likely to rank it lower. Feel free to check our website, we have plenty of info on the match.

To put it as simple as possible: only apply and rank programs that you'd like to go to. Don't make too short of a list though - if you only apply to 3-4 programs and they don't rank you, there is no way you'll match.

If there are 25 programs you would be happy going to, and you can spend the money, then you might as well rank them. Ranking more only hurts you if you end up matching to a program you didn't actually want to go to. I personally ranked 9 programs and got into my #8, so I cut it a little close. But those were the only 9 programs I wanted to go to, so it is what it is.