Rotation Preferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
*BananaHead Do not merge...this is a different question*

When your going to pick a rotation site preference, what factors did you consider when making a choice? What did you looking for? Something that is a strongly interest to you or a site where you might want to work in later when your done with school, or both?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose based on interest and proximity to my house

I chose based on what i felt would help me the most on the NAPLEX and then what area of town it was in and then how close it was to my house...

It wasn't stuff that i wanted to do for the rest of my life but rather stuff i thought i'd never be able to do again.

but alas keep in mind i didn't get any of my first choices.

i did try to pick based on what i wanted to do forever with one of my rotations as well but i didn't get anything related to it. (public health)

One of three criteria:

Third Year:
1. I chose two rotations that I hated, so I would have enough knowledge to know what is going on, but not to be ever curious again. (Pharm. Care, Neonatal)
2. I chose law and administrative as a career possibility.
3. I chose compounding and radiopharmaceuticals to round out deficiencies in my knowledge and practice.

Second year, I was handed a community pharmacy, Target, and a hospital, Yuma Regional (rural, border town, the buck stops here) and was completely satisfied with both experiences (although Yuma was hard).

I DIDN'T choose a WAG or anywhere that I felt I been at before.

Unless you're a complete dolt about community or hospital practice, DO NOT choose a rotation for NAPLEX reasons. The NAPLEX is too simple by far to be worried about rounding out experience for that. Choose your rotations for the experience you want to have.