Rotations and PhD Food Science/Nutrition Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annie800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which schools have a food science/nutrition program? In addition to Clinical Vet Medicine, I have a strong interest in animal nutrition, pet food, etc. Any advice, options? Are there any DVM/PHD programs that covers this?

Also, it seems like a lot of schools vary in their cirriculum vs. rotation schedule. Some schools offer 1 year of rotations, some offer 2 years? What are your thoughts on this? Clearly, 2 years of rotations sound ideal, but I am not sure. I guess I think this may correlate with NAVLE pass rates, where I can find those rates?

Members don't see this ad.

A DVM/PhD program generally covers whatever you want it to. If you're interested in a PhD you should really try to narrow down your scope a little bit from "animal nutrition, pet food, etc" and then look for people doing research in your intended area, see where they are from and contact them. Also you will need pretty extensive research experience to get into one of those programs.

Well, I can't seem to find anything yet on nutrition and dog food research, so if anyone knows anything, heeeeelp. I am not sure if the requirements for a DVM prog are the same as DVM/phD.

I did Honors Thesis I and II at my school, some Lupus Research, some Bio research, I was a paid research assistant for one year (sadly, it proved to be mostly clerical work). I also did a directed independant study and was published (contributing author for our school's genetics lab manual). Did I do anything really profound? Not really. Did I earn credits for some basic assistance work? Probably. lol.

GPA from degree 3.59, cum GPA 3.61, Sci GPA 3.61, Last 45h 3.89, GRE is in progress. The GRE hates me and I hate it. :p

If I apply to DVM/phD and I am declined, could the school still accept me for a DVM student or do I ruin my chances? Do schools give you the optioon of applying to both programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
the requirements for a DVM programs are probably not the same for a DVM program. A combined DVM/PhD program may or may not have additional requirements to the DVM program; at some schools you apply to each program, at others you apply to a joint program via the DVM program. Some you can apply to the PhD program after starting the DVM program.

The quickest way to find research at CVM's in the field of interest is to read current articles in the field, find stuff you are interested in, track down the author, and ask for suggestions of where to attend, or if they are at a CVM, apply there. It can help a lot, in both DVM and PhD programs, to establish a connection with a PI ahead of applications.

i know for colorado if you are not accepted to the dual degree program you are still in the running for the dvm. I believe that may be the case at other schools too but I'm not sure since I didn't apply for the dual degree.

in terms of actual research, I don't know anyone doing anything nutrition related off the top of my head. Your best bet is to go to the school's websites you're looking at and look at what research their professors are doing.

Also NAVLE pass rates can typically be found via google for the various schools. good luck!

Thanks everyone. Totally helpful. I still can't find any research yet. I think I will send some emails to Monica Segal, Sabine Contreras, and Lew Olsen and ask them.