Rotations during interview months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorsKW14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for emergency medicine audition rotations and already have July, August, and September filled. There are still a couple of places I would really love to rotate at, but I realize that the rest of the fall months are usually busy because of interviews. Would it be a really bad idea to try to get another emergency medicine rotation during October, November or December? Would it be better if I did an emergency medicine "elective" (like ultrasound, research, peds) during those months instead? I'm a DO student so I want to set myself up to be in the best position possible for residency applications, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with interviews or leaving too often during my rotations. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the same boat as you. I would think maybe a shorter rotation (2-3 weeks) early October would be safe as well.

After 3 straight months of EM you're going to be tired. Might be nice to sleep in your own bed for a change while you interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat. I did Auditions in July and August (got my SLOE's), did an easy home rotation in September so I could take my PE, then did my last 2 aways in October and November. I was interviewed at my auditions while I was there. I set up my December and January rotations with easy preceptors that were OK with me being gone for interviews, that may be an option depending on your school.

I did 3 and wish I had done 2. Are you doing more aways to help with your apps or because you genuinely was to? If it's the former, I don't think doing so is very advantageous if you get good SLOES from your early rotations.