rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopedoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I decide to go to school on the East Coast, is it possible to do 4th year rotations and then residency on the West coast? Or, does this depend on whether the school has affiliations throughout the country? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Fourth-year at most medical schools is pretty much a free-for-all. You may still have some requirements to finish off before you can graduate, but for the most part it's all elective time. What this means is that you can go anywhere and do just about anything to your heart's content (so long as its in medicine and approved by your Registrar).

Tim of New York City.

Yes, the fourth year is all electives but most schools only allow so many to be done at other institutions. I know at my school they allow two electives to be done abroad.

Richard

U of South Florida

Members don't see this ad :)
It very much depends on the school. That should be the number one question to ask during interviews. Lake Erie only affiliates with somewhere around 20 hospitals that remain, for the most part, on the east cost. Older schools with more affiliations will let you travel. Some schools even have some sort of 'match' to pick where you want to go, but with the vast majority of hospitals being on the east coast, you will be slightly pushed there, until 4th year.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering attending PCOM, in Philadelphia, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether their 4th year electives could be done in other parts of the country. In hindsight, I should have asked this during the interview, but I was too nervous.