ROTC Student interested in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axq8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've seen one post about an Army ROTC student interested in psychology but I'm not sure if it answers my question. I'm actually starting ROTC late, as I have just finished my freshman year at undergraduate school and I'm currently pre-enrolled in the program to graduate as an officer in three years. I'm very interested in psychology and working with people in general and I'm wondering what the best way for me to get my phD/psyD would be through the military. One of my friends who is currently on active duty in the Air Force told me that the military wants its officers to have a masters degree and will provide the free education at a local military college. Does this go the same way with a phD/psyD or am I totally off about it in general? I really have no idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Others can answer this much better than I can, so I'll defer to them. I'll just say that I think you're smart to be looking into this now. You still have plenty of time to figure out the route you want to go and get the experiences you need. Kudos to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not entirely sure what “pre-enrolled in the program” means. If it means you are not in ROTC give some serious thought to what you want to do. Do you want to be a clinical psychologist? Or, do you want to be an Officer in the Armed Services?

ROTC in undergrad for this path may not be an advantage and could end up the exact opposite. In your situation, ROTC is a commitment to serve on active duty upon graduation from undergrad. In order to not immediately serve you must request and be granted an educational delay to attend graduate school. There is no guarantee that this will happen, or that if it does, you will be accepted into an acceptable (to the Armed Services) graduate program. You may end up with the commitment to the Army having to be served before you will be allowed to go to school for clinical psychology.

Also, if you have your heart set on the Army, it has a scholarship program (HPSP) that will cover the last two years of didactics in any accredited program in the US or Puerto Rico with the exception of some that will not enter into an agreement with the Army. The Navy and the Air Force each offer programs that are similar, but I believe they offer longer than a two year scholarship.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I am not a recruiter, and I have no vested interest in brining you into the Army or the Army’s HPSP.