Rough Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phnerd1105

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Ive been a member here for a while. However, I realized that my user name wasn't really concealing who I was, so I just changed it. Anyway, I'm a good student in school. I don't slack off, and I work my ass off. This semester was the hardest semester I have ever had, as I took an anatomy lab, a cellular biology class and biochem. I still worked my ass off, got an A in anatomy. However, I missed an A in biochem by 10 points (the hardest class offered at my school). Also, my cell bio class was totally unfair. I could have gotten an A if I did well on the final. Instead, my professor made the final ridiculous and I ended up getting a C in the class. I am a junior, so I have one more semester to go. I calculated that my sgpa and cgpa at application are going to be 3.54 and 3.63. This is really below my standards, and I know the standards of many med schools. In terms of extracurriculars, I have tons of research, shadowing, leadership, and I will be doing more volunteering next semester. Essentially, my EC's are the only solid part of my app so far. I am taking my MCAT in March as well. I know that its hard to tell my chances without the MCAT, but is my GPA going to screw me over? I am an IL resident, and went to a really difficult private school if that helps.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA may or may not be a big deal. Where are you trying to get into medical school at? What tier/ranking is your college/university?

But for a basic answer, yes it matters. Check AAMC statistics for the statistics for each years GPA/MCAT success rate. Higher GPAs indicate a better chance (but not drastically).

My advice? Shoot for upper 30s on the MCAT. Your GPA can be overcome by other aspects.

The GPA may or may not be a big deal. Where are you trying to get into medical school at? What tier/ranking is your college/university?

But for a basic answer, yes it matters. Check AAMC statistics for the statistics for each years GPA/MCAT success rate. Higher GPAs indicate a better chance (but not drastically).

My advice? Shoot for upper 30s on the MCAT. Your GPA can be overcome by other aspects.

Honestly, my dream school for like 10 years has been Northwestern, but I know that's not going to happen. Any of the Chicago schools would be great (Loyola, Rush, UIC) because I want to stay close to home. My university is a top 50 school nationally. I know that it doesn't seem that high, but the workload is so intense.

This just sucks because I was on track for a great semester, and my finals killed me since they were all in 24 hours. Also, my first semester freshman year wasn't that great because I was going from a sheltered kid to finding out what freedom tasted like.

I studied for the MCAT all summer, with the intention of taking it early September. However, I got very sick a few days before and wasn't able to take it. However, even after 3 months of studying, I was only starting to break 30's on the AAMC exams. I really need to work on cutting down on stupid mistakes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, clear your plate of obligations during your break and buckle down for studying. Personally, I recommend taking an MCAT (no writing) every morning for 2 weeks before, then review mistakes.

The GPA isn't a big deal, but you'll have to deal with it. In my opinion, you seem to be in great shape with a GPA that is slighty below average. With a mid to high 30s MCAT and great letters of recommendation, just make sure you submit as early as possible. Honestly, I know what you're feeling, but I think you're fine.

Sorry about the short responses, I'm pretending to Christmas shop at the mall.

Well, clear your plate of obligations during your break and buckle down for studying. Personally, I recommend taking an MCAT (no writing) every morning for 2 weeks before, then review mistakes.

The GPA isn't a big deal, but you'll have to deal with it. In my opinion, you seem to be in great shape with a GPA that is slighty below average. With a mid to high 30s MCAT and great letters of recommendation, just make sure you submit as early as possible. Honestly, I know what you're feeling, but I think you're fine.

Sorry about the short responses, I'm pretending to Christmas shop at the mall.

Hahahahaha that made me laugh. My parents don't really give gifts for Christmas (we're Indian), so I don't understand your pain.

I have three weeks of winter break right now in which I am redoing my content review and practice problems. I'm shooting for one of the March MCATS, and I have a light semester coming up. It's just a bummer because I was mere POINTS away from an A in Biochem (which I know would be really impressive), and I should have gotten a B in my cellular biology class. I hate when professors suck and ruin your grades :(

Also, I was planning on taking a bio class in June to give my sGPA one last boost. However, I wouldn't be able to send in my transcript until end of June, so I would be verified later. It would increase my sGPA from 3.52 to 3.54. Do you think its worth it (and $4000)?

A 3.63 is only a tad below the median for those accepted to med school (3.67) so you're not hopeless for the med schools you've mentioned (Rush, Loyola, UIC) and RFU, provided your MCAT score is decent. It will be important for you to do well this next semester so that you aren't applying with a downward grade trend though. For a better shot at more competitive med schools, you could give consideration to delaying your application for a year if you are confident of earning great grades your senior year.

A 3.63 is only a tad below the median for those accepted to med school (3.67) so you're not hopeless for the med schools you've mentioned (Rush, Loyola, UIC) and RFU, provided your MCAT score is decent. It will be important for you to do well this next semester so that you aren't applying with a downward grade trend though. For a better shot at more competitive med schools, you could give consideration to delaying your application for a year if you are confident of earning great grades your senior year.

Thanks for the advice Catalystik! The thing is, I am in a combined BA/MPH program. I will actually be starting most of my MPH coursework next semester, which I know will not count towards my undergraduate GPA, so would there really be an impact in delaying my application an extra year? I have great EC's, tons of shadowing, clinical experience. I am scant on the volunteering, but I am already signed up to do some this semester and summer. Other than that, everything is either good or excellent.

I will actually be starting most of my MPH coursework next semester, which I know will not count towards my undergraduate GPA, so would there really be an impact in delaying my application an extra year?
If you will not be taking any further undergrad coursework, then there would be no additional benefit of waiting a year to apply. If you did manage to squeeze in any classes that aren't required for the MPH, you would still be able to catagorize them as undergrad though.