rough senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdskeleton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I attended a CC for the first two years, took all science pre reqs there but took upper level courses when I transfered to a big ten university. My transfer year I performed as well as I had at my CC. I was pulling around a 3.8 cGPA until I hit a rough patch my senior year, I mean a VERY rough patch. I discussed what happened very well in my personal statement, but now my cGPA is at a 3.44. I am taking the MCAT August 12th, after I finish a study abroad program at Cambridge.

I have 2 work experiences- non medical, research for almost a year, shadowed a surgeon and a physician, was a tutor at the university, a counselor for a muscular dystrophy camp, and an ER volunteer.

What chance do I have at the following schools if I complete my entire application by mid september, since I have to wait on my Cambridge transcripts and MCAT scores?

IL resident btw:
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
UIC
SIU

Indiana
Baylor
USC- Keck

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having a 3.44 cGPA is not going to kill your chances at all. Maybe if your cGPA was 2.8 I would be concerned, but not a 3.44 (the average applicant has a 3.5 GPA, so with your Cambridge coursework you might even hit that number).

But your sGPA is what will do most of the talking. What is your sGPA? Where are you scoring on your practice MCAT tests? These will be a major component of your application.

While your cGPA doesn't really concern me, what I am wondering is how your application will be impacted by the fact that you took the majority of prerequiste science classes at a community college. While this isn't a dealbreaker, I have heard from multiple places that it is not favorable to take these classes at a CC. I'm sure it's been done and there are many people in med school today who took these classes at CC, but I don't think that it works in your favor.

Also, regarding your application... If you are planning on applying this cycle, APPLY NOW. Submit your application ASAP. Usually, once you submit your application outside of the J-months, you are putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage. When you submit your application, enter your classes you are taking at Cambridge as "In Progress" and don't worry about the MCAT, the score will be reflected automatically on your application once it is available.

I would say that by and large, you are a good applicant. You have proven your ability to overcome adversity, something which I feel you need to give yourself credit for. Getting into an MD school this application cycle is definitely not out of the question by any means. But if you don't get in, you may need to retake some of those CC classes in a post-bacc program at a four-year institution. You will be set back at the most a year or so, which is really just a blip on the radar with respect to your overall career as a physician.

Your ability to overcome the rough circumstances you faced during your senior year will likely be invaluable in all your future endeavors. With regards to the application process, you may face rejection, but keep working like you have and I am confident you will kick open some doors and give yourself the opportunity to become a physician.

Edit:
Regarding the schools you listed: I'd say that Northwestern and Baylor are both extremely competitive. If those are two of your dream schools I would definitely throw them in the mix, but just don't get your heart set on going there, as people with 4.0 GPA's and 36 MCAT scores get rejected. The other schools seem within reach, but you should definitely purchase the MSAR book to help you formulate a better list. Also, if it were me, I would apply to more schools than that, maybe 15 or so, but that's just me. Submitting an application to each school will require you to dish out some serious coin-age, so if you don't apply to more schools for that reason, that's understandable.

Hello,

I attended a CC for the first two years, took all science pre reqs there but took upper level courses when I transfered to a big ten university. My transfer year I performed as well as I had at my CC. I was pulling around a 3.8 cGPA until I hit a rough patch my senior year, I mean a VERY rough patch. I discussed what happened very well in my personal statement, but now my cGPA is at a 3.44. I am taking the MCAT August 12th, after I finish a study abroad program at Cambridge.

I have 2 work experiences- non medical, research for almost a year, shadowed a surgeon and a physician, was a tutor at the university, a counselor for a muscular dystrophy camp, and an ER volunteer.

What chance do I have at the following schools if I complete my entire application by mid september, since I have to wait on my Cambridge transcripts and MCAT scores?

IL resident btw:
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
UIC
SIU

Indiana
Baylor
USC- Keck

Thanks!
Was it your entire senior year that was a "rough patch" or just the first semester, with much better grades the second? Will your travel abroad experience result in grades transferred to your primary institution or P/F? I ask because applying with a downward grade trend is not a good idea.

Further, applying late in the cycle, can put your application at a disadvantage by further decreasing your chances.

Without knowing your MCAT score, it's impossible to tell you your chances at any school.

I'd agree that Northwestern and Baylor are unlikely to aceept you with your current cGPA.

If you are set on applying this season, and have a downgoing GPA trend and a late application, I'd suggest taking upper-level Bio fall semester and letting schools know your grades if it's good news. Also, live the next year as if you know you'll need to reapply, improving your ECs during that time.

Of the schools on your list, SIU is one where a late application does not put you at a disadvantage, but to have good chance there you need to have parents living south of I-80. Indiana requires strong state ties.