RowanSOM vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salmonxoxo

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I’m posting here because I’m having a hard time deciding between RowanSOM and PCOM. Obviously they are both osteopathic but does anyone know something specific about these schools that may sway me one way or the other? For reference, I’ve been doing my undergrad in Philadelphia and have grown to love the city but have heard the lesser tuition and better funding are strong reasons to choose Rowan.

RowanSOM
Pros
  • In-state tuition
  • State school

Cons
  • Suburban campus

PCOM
Pros
  • Stay in Philly
  • More established

Cons
  • 55k tuition

Summary: Please help! I don’t see any major cons to either school but still don’t know which to choose.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes, I would choose Rowan unless you have a compelling reason to choose PCOM. Difference in rank is negligible, and Rowan wins out in terms of cost. While Rowan is in the suburbs of Philly vs. in the city, you are only a stone’s throw away from Philly opportunities at Rowan. Good luck with your decision and best wishes!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM is one of the original 5 DO schools, has its own residency programs in competitive specialties (Ophtho, derm, ortho — which is very uncommon for DO programs and is a massive advantage), and is definitely higher regarded than Rowan.

With all that said, you have to decide what price that is worth to you. If you’re thinking primary care, go for the cheapest option.

Reactions: 1 user
oof tough choice. I like PCOM.