RR Pathology > BRS Pathology + BRS Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK_MD2BE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who have taken Step 1,
1. Do you think reading RR Pathology is better than reading both BRS Path and BRS Phys? A lot of the posts here have stated the fact that there isn't a lot of pure physiology on the exam, and the way Goljan integrates physiology, do you think there is enough physiology in the RR Pathology?

2. Or, do you think that BRS Physiology is still required even if you do use RR Path?

3. Has anyone ever used Pathophysiology 4 Boards and Wards? If so, what do you think? I have heard about it around my school here, but almost never on SDN. Just curious.

Thanks for your time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

this is a good question. i've found that simply reading BRS phys facilitated 85-90% performances on every straight phys question set i've done on USMLERx and Qbook. i have yet to do UW though. but, i'm really hoping that that time wasn't better spent focusing on RR path. but anyway, it seems that BRS is ample, if not overkill according to the kaplan and FA approach.

i'll be curious to hear what others think . . .

1. Do you think reading RR Pathology is better than reading both BRS Path and BRS Phys? A lot of the posts here have stated the fact that there isn't a lot of pure physiology on the exam, and the way Goljan integrates physiology, do you think there is enough physiology in the RR Pathology?

2. Or, do you think that BRS Physiology is still required even if you do use RR Path?

3. Has anyone ever used Pathophysiology 4 Boards and Wards? If so, what do you think? I have heard about it around my school here, but almost never on SDN. Just curious.

What kind of score are you aiming for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I know every test is different but I can't throw my lot in with the idea that pure physiology isn't tested on the boards. On my test I had a good deal of questions there were basic M1 physiology questions. It's not as high yield as subjects like pathology, micro, and pharmacology, but I had more "basic" physiology than anatomy or molecular biology.

I think setting aside some time to show much physiology work you need would be a good idea. If you have a question bank, set it to do just basic physiology questions and see how you do. If you're killing them, maybe skim BRS physio for stuff you don't remember. If you're having trouble, definitely devote a couple days.

It does depend on what score you want to get - but if you're aiming for the sky and have plenty of time I'd suggest doing RR path AND BRS phys.

The physiology provides a basis for all the difficult questions - especially in terms of graphs and charts, RR hardly covers much hard physio, especially formulas, calculations and direct comparison.

Even Goljan says "you need to know the normal before abnormal". BRS Phys provides that normal waaaaay better than anything else I've seen. And on my exam I had tons of up down arrow type questions that were it not for BRS phys I would have been absolutely clueless on.

That just my opinion. G'luck.

RR path + BRS Phys covered all the bases on my test. I really recommend BRS Phys, since the questions I had were all about general concepts.

Haven't taken the exam yet...

However, I used Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards for my Fundamnetals of Clinical Pathophysiology course. And imo, the book is awesome! If I can find 2 days to re-read it before my exam (July 26th) I will do so.

Agree with Roy7 and Domer621. The nice thing about Goljan RR path is that he integrates phys into path. However, he doesn't integrate everything, he doesn't go through nearly enough of the stupid charts and diagrams the USMLE likes to test for phys (and which BRS phys has), and the point of integration is that you need a good foundation in phys before you integrate it with other subjects. Given that FA is not quite sufficient for phys, if you are aiming to do well then definitely Goljan RR + BRS phys. Its well worth your time (and doesn't take too terribly long anyways).