RR vs. BRS vs. Kaplan for Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captopril

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a first time poster so don't mind my lack of adherence to common forum protocol. Apologies in advance.

I'm an IMG who will be graduating soon. We take Step I after graduation in this part of the world, so I have 4-6m to prepare. That being said, I wanted to know what people suggest regarding a Pathology book. I snoozed through Path during med school, so my foundation is very very weak. I've narrowed it down to Rapid Review, BRS, and Kaplan notes...just can't seem to pull the trigger at the book store. (The only reason I mentioned my study time-frame is because I've read that Rapid Review is lengthy, but perhaps my 4-6m might be enough.)

Anyways, I appreciate any and all help. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm a first time poster so don't mind my lack of adherence to common forum protocol. Apologies in advance.

I'm an IMG who will be graduating soon. We take Step I after graduation in this part of the world, so I have 4-6m to prepare. That being said, I wanted to know what people suggest regarding a Pathology book. I snoozed through Path during med school, so my foundation is very very weak. I've narrowed it down to Rapid Review, BRS, and Kaplan notes...just can't seem to pull the trigger at the book store. (The only reason I mentioned my study time-frame is because I've read that Rapid Review is lengthy, but perhaps my 4-6m might be enough.)

Anyways, I appreciate any and all help. Cheers.

Like you said, if your foundation is weak, I would highly recommend RR pathology then. Dr. Goljan does a fantastic job of intergrating many different disciplines into this pathology book.

What about your clinical knowledge? If you did well during your core clerkships, that might make up for your week foundation in pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another vote for RR. I was highly disappointed in BRS even though it had worked fairly well for my 2nd year classes.

Thanks for the response guys. Looks like Dr. Goljan is a popular guy.

Rox, my clinical knowledge is average I'd say. Nothing to write home about, but not bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately my school teaches clinical subjects with a highly clinical slant, meaning very little focus on the pathophys of the condition in question (only diagnosis/treatment), so even if I was doing stellar in these clerkships I don't know how much they'd help.

By the way where are you from Captipril? I am also an IMG and in the 3rd yr of my graduation.