rt exam & edvance education or dds???what is worth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priti

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i m very confused .....hope i will get my answes by posting this msg...
i m a dentist from india.now for me to get lisence ,there r two options.
1) i can get admissin in dds programme(as an advance standing student)
2) i can give rt exam & do any speciality course(advance education).

in dds i will b repeating the same thing i learn there in india,,,in advance education i will learn something more ,,,but the only problem with advance education is i cant get lisence to practice in u.s.(though the book-dentistry in u.s.a says there r 18 states which allow u to practice in u.s if u have 2 yaer of education in any ada approved courses...i checked with many liscencing boards & they refuses this offer..:( )

so what is best?is it worth to do speciality programme along with rt exam?(but here the problem is i can't practice out side california:( )

i live at east cost(maryland)......is it worth to move to california?or do dds so i can practice any where in u.s.a(but here there will b lot of fees to pay)?

pls guide me.
priti.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by priti
............though the book-dentistry in u.s.a says there r 18 states which allow u to practice in u.s if u have 2 yaer of education in any ada approved courses...i checked with many liscencing boards & they refuses this offer..:( )
i live at east cost(maryland)......is it worth to move to california?or do dds so i can practice any where in u.s.a(but here there will b lot of fees to pay)?........

Did you checked with the state boards listed by the ADA as allowing Advanced Education for licensing purposes? Or you checked with some other states boards?

I will really advice you to contact every single one of the boards listed under Appendix A, as allowing foreign dentist to license there with a post-graduate degree from the US. Do it to confirm that they still do or don't. First hand information is your best resource.

I remember I did that long time ago. I sure remember getting a lot of repplies, some positive, some negative, but at least I got valuable info.

As for the second part of your message. Moving to CA and staying there, is only up to you to decide. We don't know you, we can't tell you what to do. Just sort things out, get the facts, understand your realistic possibilities and then decide. The magic word here been "realistic".

Good luck.

thanks meggs.

actually i checked with ada websites as well as i also personally call state liscencing boards(verginia,d.c,massachusetts,california)but non was sure abt this thing most of saied no & then i had also send them written inquiry ,,,,,but only massachusetts people replied & that was also no!!!!!!!!

can u pls tell me who were positive?b'cos on net i m not finding it usefull because most of them do not update their sites.

priti.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is part of what I got from FLORIDA,

[email protected] , 25 Oct 2002

"......
2) An applicant who otherwise meets the requirements of Section 466.006(3), F.S., and chooses to apply pursuant to Section 466.006(3)(b), F.S., will be required to:

(a) Complete a full-time, matriculated, resident program offered by an accredited dental school which provides remediation to the level of an accredited D.D.S. or D.M.D. program and which has a duration equivalent to at least 2 academic years at the sponsoring institution.

(b) Receive a dental diploma, degree or certificate from the sponsoring institution upon successful completion of the program.
............."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from MICHIGAN:

"..................
It can be a specialty program. It has to be an ADA approved program.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: October 28, 2002
To: bhserhelp (CIS)
Subject: Re: Dentist

Thanks for your response. About the two year program, which type do you mean?

A program that grants me a DDS title? (like those International dentist programs some universities have)

Or can it be a specialty program that grants me with a certification (like ortho, endo, etc.)? ......................

"bhserhelp (CIS)" <[email protected]> wrote:
You must have completed a two year program in the United States & submit both transcripts from the program and your dental school. ........."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do remember receiving more repplies, but I have erased some messagges. You're lucky I still kept those two.

I did not call nor wrote snail mail, I just sent emails everywhere.
As I said I got many repplies, maybe I was lucky. But I do advice you to write to them in the most formal and proffessional way as possible, so they actually bother on going through the messagge and answering back.

As I also said it was a long time ago, rules may have change, you better check.

Luck!

....actually i checked with ada websites as well as i also personally call state liscencing boards(verginia,d.c,massachusetts,california)but non was sure abt this thing most of saied no & then i had also send them written inquiry ,,,,,but only massachusetts people replied & that was also no!!!!!!!!

Priti,

Do you actually own a copy of "Dentistry in the US"?

'cause right now I'm looking at my copy, and at least under Appendix A, page 15, August 2002 edition, neither Virginia, Mass, nor California are among the states that will allow the 2 year specialty thing.

In that page are clearly listed the 18 states that do approve the thing, plus the Distric of Columbia. So you better start over in the contacting process.

Originally posted by meggs

neither Virginia, Mass, nor California are among the states that will allow the 2 year specialty thing.
In that page are clearly listed the 18 states that do approve the thing, plus the Distric of Columbia. So you better start over in the contacting process.
:oops: sorry for that.....
actually i was trying the places where i can go.....so it mixed up ....:(
thanks for ur advice,,,i have started to call liscencing board ....hope this will work.
priti.

thank u very much meggs
i realy appriciate u r taking interest in other's problems & guide them.
again thanks...
i m trying to figure out what to do now by calling different boards .

by the way, there is an information about virginia board that they can think abt giving u liscence if u have practiced in ur home country atleast 5 years...(i haven't)but it might help some one who has done this.:)
priti.

thank u very much meggs
i realy appriciate u r taking interest in other's problems & guide them.
again thanks...
i m trying to figure out what to do now by calling different boards .

by the way, there is an information about virginia board that they can think abt giving u liscence if u have practiced in ur home country atleast 5 years...(i haven't)but it might help some one who has done this.:)
priti.

You're welcome.

About the Virgina info, did you got it from the internet? can you please post the link to it? Thanks.

hi priti ,
please check u r private messages.

Originally posted by meggs

About the Virgina info, did you got it from the internet? can you please post the link to it? Thanks.

hi meggs,
it was not on internet.
i talk to virginia board on phone & they have sent all info abt liscencing requirements.... it is written in that papers .but u have to submit a acceptable proof for that.
priti.:)

Got this from the Virgina State Dental Board website:

"Persons who have practiced dentistry in another country may submit an application to practice dentistry in Virginia if they have practiced dentistry in the other country for five consecutive years prior to application and if the application is accompanied by satisfactory proof that the applicant is a graduate of an approved dental school or college, or dental department of a university or college. The Board shall determine what constitutes an approved dental school, college, or dental department of a university."

Dont understand the part where it says"the applicant is a graduate of an approved dental school or college, or dental department of a university or college"

Approved Dental School?? As in the US?

Can anyone explain this part?

Each state has the right to create their own rules and regualtions regarding the licensing of health professionals. The ADA approves and accredits dental programs in the US and Canada, but individual states are not legally required to abide by the ADA recommendations. However, as a practical matter, nearly all states accept the ADA accreditation as the basis for state approval of a dental education. There are exceptions though; for example California has very nearly completed approval of the Autonomous University of Mexico dental education program. So future graduates of that program would be eligible for licensure in California, but only California.

If you call the licensing board of Virginia you would probably find out that they have never recognized a dental education from any university except those accredited by the ADA. The only way to find out for sure is to ask the Virginia board directly.

Scott