RTA vs DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nobrains

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
RTA vs DDS
:thumbdown:

This question is for anyone who have information regarding RTA and DDS.

I just looked at the RTA exam being extended till FY2008 provided the NDBE-1 and NDBE-2 have been taken by FY2003 and passed (doesn?t need to be flying colors!!!).

Now comes the big question!!!! Would you want to go the RTA route if one has been admitted in some IDP program ? I would guess this question is ringing in many students who have been admitted in an IDP program as well as eligible for the RTA route to practice dentistry (only in California).

1. Can a RTA route student practice all aspects of general dentistry that a DDS student can do?
2. What are the limitations if any for a RTA student with respect to a DDS student ? this first thing that would ring in my mind is confidence to practice in US where every tiny wrong thing is taken to courts!!!!
3. What are the min/max income for a RTA vs DDS student.
4. Is there any preference when it comes to be hired as an associate?
5. Finally is it worth the time (2/3 years depending on which school) and emotional/financial hassle when there is a shortcut to practice dentistry in California.
6. Why does a good student need to go to school in the first place when he/she is quite capable of putting up a good fight and succeed via the RTA route.
7. Then comes the big question is $200,000 ($150,000 for the program and 50,000 interest) needed to relearn general dentistry.

I really want to understand if foreign graduates are not being taken for a big ride -- Hell to it man I want to go back to my home country and lead a decent life than struggle with $200,000 on my head!!!

Please post your unadulterated opinions/suggestions to clear up the many apprehensions that has been cooking in my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Many folks are reading the thread but not posting any replies -- eithere the folks don't have an answer OR they are as confused as me!!!! Come on cheer up and post something that soothes my soul.

Sorry about not contributing to this thread :D , but trust me, quite a lot of us would like an answer to those questions...It's almost like you took words out of my mouth!