Rural anesthesia rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried searching and haven't found anything...my school has a rural elective for third year. I'd love to do an anesthesia rotation somewhere. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Having worked as the only anesthesia guy in a big rural county, there is much to be learned from working in the very small hospital with little help.

Will you be doing big complex cases? Probably not, but most anesthesia people spend a lot of time doing bread and butter cases.

If you can feel comfortable working with very little help, no one to call for assistance except the circulating nurse and still give good care, I would say you have learned a lot.

I'll bet you can find places out there that don't even have fiberoptic scopes, but I don't know. You learn some preop judgment about what you want to get into and what needs to be shipped to bigger institutions.

If I was doing only one anesthesia rotation I would not choose a small rural place to do it, but if you are doing two, comparing big with small might be very educational to you.