Rush Medical College Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
krakatoa said:
I have no idea, but I have a question that's probably dumber. Do we need to get cable in order to watch TV, or are basic channels viewable? And for anyone who knows, what type of internet service are we supposed to sign up for? Is it comcast only? cuz it's pretty expensive, imho.

The girls I stayed with during my interview had an arrangement with their neighbor so a few people chipped in to share one wireless connection. It worked out really good for them and was something like $10/mo or less. I recommend trying to work out something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone here remember that website for Rush students? It had a handbook created by past students with information on the classes, professors, and a bunch of little tips and stuff. The website was something like www.rush-students.com or www.rmc-students.com. I can't remember where I found the link before, but I was trying to find it again but could not. If anyone still has this URL, could you please enlighten me?

i am not looking forward to having to set up my internet. COMCAST SUCKS. you schedule a date to have them set stuff up, say 8am--12pm (why such a large window of time i don't know why!!), so you get up early for them. and they don't come til 12:30pm. so you miss each other and have to reschedule. this continues for at least the next 2 or 3 scheduled dates.

ok, so that was my experience with comcast the last years, every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else get a call from center court arranging a time and date to move in? i move in on august 26th at noon. also, i came across this web page that shows the orientation plan for last year's M1s. i'm sure ours will be pretty much the same.

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/medcol/ori.html#2

also, if you guys have some free time, check out the rush class of 2009 SDN thread. it pretty much goes through the entire process we're about to experience up until class starts.

also, i heard that rush has a dress code for going to lectures. something like you must wear kakis and a collared shirt. is that right? i'm hoping it isnt.

i sent a few questions i had about M1 year to sammyjay who's an M4 at rush. here are the questions with his responses:

Q: My main question is about small details that you personally observed about classes or study techniques your M1 year.

A: Your first year is very tough, especially the first few weeks where you are trying to get used to a new school, new people, foreign material, the language, along with learning your way around, and how to hangle all the science questions at once.

Q: what are some pointers specific to rush's professors or syllabus for classes like anatomy, histology, physiology, ect. that would help all of us out before starting M1 year (especially for anatomy)?

A: First with Anatomy, anatomy, unless you have had it once before is all about learning the language, like trying to take a map of NYC and memorizing it in a day, it just takes looking at it over and over again...best thing that helped me is using the Grant Dissector during lab, and trying to see the structures, and understand what it does, origin, insertion, and just the big arterial supply. In the student labs center, there are ACKLAND videos, i highly recommend watching those because they outline each body part and show different views of the dissection.
Histology is only one quarter, and unfortunately, it is just annoying to get through...the motto is just know what is in the syllabus, and you will be fine.. i think that is bad advice since it doesnt guide you... Iowa has a very good website, just google Histology..also BRS histology is pretty good, so i would read that along with the notes. Also take the slides and do practice tests with your classmates so you can test each other that way for the practical portion of the test
Physiology has changed, so my advice might be outdated...but for this class try to just get the facts down and understand the machinery, you will gain a better understanding second year during pathophysiology, BRS physiology is a very good book as well

Q: also, do you have any advice, things to watch out for or avoid, areas to focus on, or certain ways of studying that worked out the best for you. for example, are exams soley based on notes in the syllabus packet they give us, or should we do all the readings from the required texts?

A: Exams seem to be heavily based on the notes that they give us...my advice is that if you are good at memorizing, then the notes are the way to go..ive never been good at memorizing, so i tried to use other modules (internet, videos, review books) it didnt get me honors, but i passed just fine and i think i understood the material...and remember, YOU DONT HAVE TO HONOR EVERYTHING YOUR FIRST YEAR.. that is the best advice i can give you, dont try to go for an honor, you will drive yourself crazy...seriously just try doing your best and improving...in the beginning, you will be freaked out by others in your class who will be reading every page of the text, taking notes in 5000 colors, and highlighting their notes, just go at your own pace, it is really tough at first, but just try spending a little time on each subject. but at bare minimum if you have an understanding of the notes, you will be ok

Q: Do the professors write the exams for the classes they teach?

A: Yes they do

Q: if so, how much do the lectures help out for preparing for the exams?

A: That is always the million dollar question. For certain classes (anatomy, immunology, histology) it helps, for biochem and physiology, less so.. if you can use that 1 hour slated for class to review on your own, try to do it...the 9-5 class schedule may feel long, but imbedded in that is anatomy and histology lab.

Q: is there material in lectures and not in the readings that appears on the exams?

A: For certain classes such as Immunology, and smaller classes like behavioral science

Q: If we're interested in a certain field, do you suggest that as M1s, we contact an attending in that field and ask to observe procedures or work they do?

A: If you came to medical school gung-ho on a certain field, it probably would be a bad idea to contact an attending... i know students have done that, especially over breaks, and they found that it is very helpful...best way to do so is that during M1 year you have lectures by doctors, so they are usually welcome to the idea of 1st years shadwoing... or just ask around, depending on what department..when you come to rush, you can get hold of me and i can direct you better depending what doctor you want to shadow

Q: also, how do you go about trying to get involved in research work with attendings. i dont think i'm going to worry about research M1 year, but the
summer afterwards and maybe through M2 year. I also heard about a summer program rush has for research after M1 year where they pay you a stipened. How hard is it to get that research spot?

A: The program is called the deans fellowship and that is probably the best way to get involved in research after m1 year... about 80% of the people who apply get it ( that was for this years M1 class, i htink) my year i think almost everyone got it, so it obviously depends on how your class is.

Q: i personally have an interest in orthopaedic surgery. How should i go about getting myself involved in the department early on?

A: Rush is an amazing ortho department, you have many contacts, the best thing i can do is put you in contact with my M4 friends when you arrive at Rush who are applying for ortho, they can guide you well. It might be early, but something brought you to medical school, so go with it if you want to do it.

trapperjohn said:
did anyone else get a call from center court arranging a time and date to move in? i move in on august 26th at noon. also, i came across this web page that shows the orientation plan for last year's M1s. i'm sure ours will be pretty much the same.

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/medcol/ori.html#2

also, if you guys have some free time, check out the rush class of 2009 SDN thread. it pretty much goes through the entire process we're about to experience up until class starts.

also, i heard that rush has a dress code for going to lectures. something like you must wear kakis and a collared shirt. is that right? i'm hoping it isnt.

I hope to God there's no dress code. I had heard this was a possibility at some schools, but I am really praying that we can wear jeans and t-shirts to class. Someone please help us out!

Whootman said:
Does anyone here remember that website for Rush students? It had a handbook created by past students with information on the classes, professors, and a bunch of little tips and stuff. The website was something like www.rush-students.com or www.rmc-students.com. I can't remember where I found the link before, but I was trying to find it again but could not. If anyone still has this URL, could you please enlighten me?

I think this is the website (it may be a year old though): http://www.rmstudents.com/survival Guide/SurvivalGuideIndex.php

It amazes me how rumors spread...i have no clue where you heard of a dress code to class!! you can come in t-shirt, jeans...you just need to wear a shirt and tie when you go to a doctors clinic or are doing rotations in the hospital

samyjay said:
It amazes me how rumors spread...i have no clue where you heard of a dress code to class!! you can come in t-shirt, jeans...you just need to wear a shirt and tie when you go to a doctors clinic or are doing rotations in the hospital

Oh thank you! You just made my night! :)

trapperjohn said:
in that case, i say we organize and attend lecture nude in peaceful protest

red dot said:
in that case, i say we organize and attend lecture nude in peaceful protest

hmmm...maybe i should be an M1 again then

does anyone have any info about how much the gym membership is per month at uic for us rush students? last year's class of 2009 thread said something like 20 dollars a month. another option which i'm definetly considering is getting a membership at cardinal fitness. the address is 1301 W. Madison Street which is only a mile from center court and rush university. you pay a start up fee of around 150-200 dollars but you only have to pay 12 bucks a month. if uic charges us 20, in the long run the cardinal fitness membership would be the better deal. other gyms around that area are a lot more per month.

Members don't see this ad :)
to everyone that will be living at centercourt this year, when are you moving in? i heard we can move in pretty early, in like late august. are you guys staying down there or just moving in and going back home until orientation?

I am moving in Aug 28, but then I'm gonna go home until the Sept. 1 to wrap up a few loose ends at home.

Whootman said:
I am moving in Aug 28, but then I'm gonna go home until the Sept. 1 to wrap up a few loose ends at home.

I'm moving in Sep 2nd and will be there til classes start. I'm probably gonna spend the week exploring the city, gettin to know all of you :D , trying to furnish the place and getting settled in (i'm only taking my clothes with me so i have lotsa shopping to do ;) ).

trapperjohn said:
does anyone have any info about how much the gym membership is per month at uic for us rush students? last year's class of 2009 thread said something like 20 dollars a month. another option which i'm definetly considering is getting a membership at cardinal fitness. the address is 1301 W. Madison Street which is only a mile from center court and rush university. you pay a start up fee of around 150-200 dollars but you only have to pay 12 bucks a month. if uic charges us 20, in the long run the cardinal fitness membership would be the better deal. other gyms around that area are a lot more per month.

I use UIC's gym and find it very convenient. The cost is $450 for the year (flat fee - you don't pay in monthly installments, and that includes start up). However, Student Affairs will reimburse you $150 of that, so it comes out to be $300/year. The west campus location is where most people go and it's a new facility. You can also use the brand new east campus location, which is either a long-ish walk from Center Court or a quick drive or jog. Apparantly it's really nice (they even have a climbing wall), but I haven't been there myself yet. Hope that helps!

jennben4 said:
I use UIC's gym and find it very convenient. The cost is $450 for the year (flat fee - you don't pay in monthly installments, and that includes start up). However, Student Affairs will reimburse you $150 of that, so it comes out to be $300/year. The west campus location is where most people go and it's a new facility. You can also use the brand new east campus location, which is either a long-ish walk from Center Court or a quick drive or jog. Apparantly it's really nice (they even have a climbing wall), but I haven't been there myself yet. Hope that helps!

Does anyone know how far away Ballys is? My tour guide said a lot of people use that and my membership there is less than $200/year.

hey guys,
i was wondering if you know anything about our upcoming schedules? i know we start the 6th and the white-coat ceremony is on the 8th. but i don't know how much time there is scheduled for orientation events -- i really want to make it to all of them.
it's just that there are all these concerts (esp. one on sept 13th) and this one music festival i want to make it to.

thanks!

red dot said:
hey guys,
i was wondering if you know anything about our upcoming schedules? i know we start the 6th and the white-coat ceremony is on the 8th. but i don't know how much time there is scheduled for orientation events -- i really want to make it to all of them.
it's just that there are all these concerts (esp. one on sept 13th) and this one music festival i want to make it to.

thanks!
I think school will already begin by the 13th, so go to the music festival..there are only a few mandatory orientation things you have to go to, and that is between the 6th and the 8th...and during the day...so go!

samyjay said:
I think school will already begin by the 13th, so go to the music festival..there are only a few mandatory orientation things you have to go to, and that is between the 6th and the 8th...and during the day...so go!

I agree with old man samyjay. :p There are lots of orientation activites, but you can always make it to everything you want to attend (and it's very short compared to other schools). Take advantage of all the free time to do non-school things as well!! You'll be happy you did once you start getting into an academic routine again.

samyjay said:

sweet! i'm going to try volunteering for the touch and go music fest since i think tix are already sold out.

p.s. anyone interested in going to see nouvelle vague? i don't know a soul in chicago and it would be fun to go with someone. http://www.nouvellesvagues.com

edit: ack! there's so much stuff coming to town! http://www.chicagoreader.com/music/early.html please lemme know if you're interested in attending something [good]. i think i'm willing to swap winter heating on some weekdays for tickets ;) to a show... lol

has anyone recieved any emails or mail about orientation or starting med school at rush? its almost mid august and besides that email "ten tips for successful transition" from late june, i've recieved nothing else. to the older med students, when did you guys start to hear from rush? did it take this long?

red dot said:
sweet! i'm going to try volunteering for the touch and go music fest since i think tix are already sold out.

p.s. anyone interested in going to see nouvelle vague? i don't know a soul in chicago and it would be fun to go with someone. http://www.nouvellesvagues.com

edit: ack! there's so much stuff coming to town! http://www.chicagoreader.com/music/early.html please lemme know if you're interested in attending something [good]. i think i'm willing to swap winter heating on some weekdays for tickets ;) to a show... lol

Lollapallooza was amazing today, thievery and manu chau were great...too bad you werent here for this music festival

trapperjohn said:
has anyone recieved any emails or mail about orientation or starting med school at rush? its almost mid august and besides that email "ten tips for successful transition" from late june, i've recieved nothing else. to the older med students, when did you guys start to hear from rush? did it take this long?

I think I remember reading in last year's thread that it was mid-august when they got information from Rush about orientation and the start of classes.

Hey everyone,

It's been way too long time since I last checked sdn, so I was really excited today when I found this thread. Only its been dead for a week now. Anyone still checking this thing???

Anyway, I went down to Center Court a few days ago to look at my apartment, and I took a few pictures for anyone who hasn't seen their place yet. I have a 3rd floor single bedroom, but I hear all the layouts are pretty much the same.

Pictures are posted here. Enjoy!

srinu said:
Hey everyone,

It's been way too long time since I last checked sdn, so I was really excited today when I found this thread. Only its been dead for a week now. Anyone still checking this thing???

Anyway, I went down to Center Court a few days ago to look at my apartment, and I took a few pictures for anyone who hasn't seen their place yet. I have a 3rd floor single bedroom, but I hear all the layouts are pretty much the same.

i think this thread has pretty much died. maybe its because we have one of the latest starts out of all the med schools in the country. that plus rush waits until late august to send out any info about orientation, so we really have nothing to talk about. its good to see those pictures of center court. just curious, how many of you guys plan on going out/drinking a lot on the weekends this year?

srinu said:
Hey everyone,

Hey Srinu!

Thanks for posting those pics...now I have an idea of what the place looks like :D

I just received my apartment keys in the mail yesterday and cannot believe that I'll be moving across the country in about 2 weeks.

I hope everyone's summer is going well and see you all soon!

~Sara

Saraeee said:
Hey Srinu!

Thanks for posting those pics...now I have an idea of what the place looks like :D

I just received my apartment keys in the mail yesterday and cannot believe that I'll be moving across the country in about 2 weeks.

I hope everyone's summer is going well and see you all soon!

~Sara

Hey Sara
Where are you moving from? I'm driving alone from San Diego.

-Sherri

lil devil said:
Hey Sara
Where are you moving from? I'm driving alone from San Diego.

-Sherri

Hey Sherri!

Oh Yay! Another SoCal person...I'm moving from Los Angeles on Sep 2nd but am flying in (I'm pretty much just taking my clothes and buying everything once I move there). If I had known earlier, maybe we couldve coordinated something together.

Are you living in Center Court????

Saraeee said:
Hey Sherri!

Oh Yay! Another SoCal person...I'm moving from Los Angeles on Sep 2nd but am flying in (I'm pretty much just taking my clothes and buying everything once I move there). If I had known earlier, maybe we couldve coordinated something together.

Are you living in Center Court????

I was originally going to live in center court but I found another 1st year who needed a roommate on craigslist for way cheaper so now I'm going to do that. I stayed with a student in a 2 bdrm at Center Court during my interview and the apartment was huge, with tons of closet space. I have a Corolla, so I'm still pretty much going to just bring my clothes and buy furniture when I get to Chicago. At least this way I only have to furnish my bedroom instead of a whole apartment.

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me if the center court studios come with a refrigerator?

Its_MurDAH said:
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me if the center court studios come with a refrigerator?

yes it does, a pretty big one too

Hi guys,
is anybody going to live in northern suburbs? I live and Deerfield and unfortunately will have to commute from here.

Also, anybody here from Berkeley, CA? I moved to Chicago from there about 3 years ago.

NowhereMan said:
Hi guys,
is anybody going to live in northern suburbs? I live and Deerfield and unfortunately will have to commute from here.

Also, anybody here from Berkeley, CA? I moved to Chicago from there about 3 years ago.

Wow! That's some commute, NowhereMan. Do you know if they make like books on tape/CD for med school stuff? 'Cuz that would be really helpful.

And how was the move from CA to Chicago? It seems to be a popular choice for medically-oriented Californians. And how did you end up in Deerfield?

NowhereMan said:
Hi guys,

Yeah, good luck commuting! I worked at Rush before I was a student and spent about 3 hrs/day either driving or taking the train. I hated every minute of it!! While not impossible (some people in my class had equally as heinous commutes), you may find yourself searching for an apartment after a little while....

I live in Glencoe now, but am moving to center court, which will cost me an arm and leg...but i just cannot commute that far my first year....good luck though....the metra should take u right downtown, so it is not all that bad actually, i just like to be downtown and far away from my parents.....

anyone know of a good place to buy a matress????

also, is anyone selling their old furniture or know of anyone who's trying to get rid of some stuff???

thanks! :D

Saraeee said:
anyone know of a good place to buy a matress????

also, is anyone selling their old furniture or know of anyone who's trying to get rid of some stuff???

thanks! :D

Not necessarily for the matress, but definitely hit up http://chicago.craigslist.org/ for anything and everything you might need. I had good luck selling stuff when I moved out of Center Court, as well as finding all kinds of things I don't need. :)

Hello All--

This is my first post on SDN. I will be an M1 at Rush. See you all in a few weeks.

--JTK

jennben4 said:
Not necessarily for the matress, but definitely hit up http://chicago.craigslist.org/ for anything and everything you might need. I had good luck selling stuff when I moved out of Center Court, as well as finding all kinds of things I don't need. :)

yeah, Craigslist is pretty useful (make sure you can see pictures and a description before you go driving really far away for a supposed good deal only to find out that the previous owner had a cat and you're allergic to cats so you can't buy the furniture even though it looked ok in the photo and.... wait, what? oh yeah. pics and a description).

Back to Bed has mattresses, and they negotiate. you have to be good at bargaining though. i know someone who got a $700 mattress+boxsprings for $300. you could probably get a used one for cheaper, but you probably don't really want to be buying a used mattress. and by you i mean i.

white_van said:
Wow! That's some commute, NowhereMan. Do you know if they make like books on tape/CD for med school stuff? 'Cuz that would be really helpful.

And how was the move from CA to Chicago? It seems to be a popular choice for medically-oriented Californians. And how did you end up in Deerfield?

Unfortunately I have to commute. I bought a condo a while ago in the suburbs and it's hard to sell in the current market.

If you are a city person, Chicago is a great place - tons of restaurants, theaters, clubs, etc... If you like outdoors - not much to do around the city. I miss that about Northern California. The weather is terrible, but if you dress right it's ok.

Rachel Kwon said:
yeah, Craigslist is pretty useful (make sure you can see pictures and a description before you go driving really far away for a supposed good deal only to find out that the previous owner had a cat and you're allergic to cats so you can't buy the furniture even though it looked ok in the photo and.... wait, what? oh yeah. pics and a description).

Back to Bed has mattresses, and they negotiate. you have to be good at bargaining though. i know someone who got a $700 mattress+boxsprings for $300. you could probably get a used one for cheaper, but you probably don't really want to be buying a used mattress. and by you i mean i.

thanks! i just checked out Back to Bed's website and they seem to have some great deals :)

btw...does anyone know the size of this year's incoming class????

wheres the closest and cheapest place to get groceries for those of you that lived at center court. also is there any super store, like a walmart, kmart, or target close by?

trapperjohn said:
wheres the closest and cheapest place to get groceries for those of you that lived at center court. also is there any super store, like a walmart, kmart, or target close by?

There's a Jewel only a couple blocks away (quite a hike for cases of... beverages, but a 2 second drive). It's on Roosevelt between Ashland and Paulina. There's also a Dominick's on Roosevelt at Canal, I believe. It's further east, just past the UIC east campus. There's also a 24 hour Walgreen's on that counter. Target is just a tad further east than the Dominick's. Again, a very short drive, but too far to walk. Wal-Mart and K-Mart are both further west, into the sort of nearby burb of Forest Park (also just south of I-290, west of Harlem Ave.) A bit out of the way, but not totally unreasonable. Basically, make a list and go once and a while. It's not a regular trip.

Saraeee said:
thanks! i just checked out Back to Bed's website and they seem to have some great deals :)

btw...does anyone know the size of this year's incoming class????

If the White Coat Ceremony eVite they just sent us includes everyone, the count is 139 people. But there's always the chance that someone will freak out about going back to school and drop before the first day. Hmm... I guess after spending 2 years out of school, that someone will probably be me :scared:

jennben4 said:
There's a Jewel only a couple blocks away (quite a hike for cases of... beverages, but a 2 second drive). It's on Roosevelt between Ashland and Paulina. There's also a Dominick's on Roosevelt at Canal, I believe. It's further east, just past the UIC east campus. There's also a 24 hour Walgreen's on that counter. Target is just a tad further east than the Dominick's. Again, a very short drive, but too far to walk. Wal-Mart and K-Mart are both further west, into the sort of nearby burb of Forest Park (also just south of I-290, west of Harlem Ave.) A bit out of the way, but not totally unreasonable. Basically, make a list and go once and a while. It's not a regular trip.

If I remember right, there's also a White Hen Pantry on Taylor St (2 blocks away from Center Court) hidden behind the Medical District Apartments building. A little closer than the Jewel if you're looking for cases of... beverages.

srinu said:
If the White Coat Ceremony eVite they just sent us includes everyone, the count is 139 people. But there's always the chance that someone will freak out about going back to school and drop before the first day. Hmm... I guess after spending 2 years out of school, that someone will probably be me :scared:

dude, isn't 139 kind of a lot? i thought it was supposed to be around 120. i guess that's why they're desperate to pick us off for those masters programs or whatever.

Rachel Kwon said:
dude, isn't 139 kind of a lot? i thought it was supposed to be around 120. i guess that's why they're desperate to pick us off for those masters programs or whatever.

that's exactly what i was thinking! if i hadnt already taken a few years off it wouldve been really tempting to defer :p

srinu said:
If I remember right, there's also a White Hen Pantry on Taylor St (2 blocks away from Center Court) hidden behind the Medical District Apartments building. A little closer than the Jewel if you're looking for cases of... beverages.

Pricey, but true.

Also, rumor has it that admissions over-offered. Or at least there was a quasi-flood of aceptances late in the game? So I think your class probably will be a bit bigger. For reference, ours is 127 - not that far off, but getting cozier in the anatomy lab!