Rush Medical College Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
srinu said:
If the White Coat Ceremony eVite they just sent us includes everyone, the count is 139 people. But there's always the chance that someone will freak out about going back to school and drop before the first day. Hmm... I guess after spending 2 years out of school, that someone will probably be me :scared:

Don't worry about 2 years off. I was a little weary as well after taking almost 3 years off. It's like riding a bike. I actually really missed school and felt like I started with excitement & enthusiasm instead of worry/dread. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone :) Getting psyched for orientation?! I just found this thread today and noticed that there are a lot of students living on-campus. I'm living in an apartment off-campus in Lincoln Park (north and east of Rush), and was wondering if there are any other people that live nearby or that will be commuting.

Also, to any M2s or above... are there usually events organized for after the scheduled orientation day (ie parties), or are we free afterwards? Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation!

jesoilyons said:
Hi everyone :) Getting psyched for orientation?! I just found this thread today and noticed that there are a lot of students living on-campus. I'm living in an apartment off-campus in Lincoln Park (north and east of Rush), and was wondering if there are any other people that live nearby or that will be commuting.

Also, to any M2s or above... are there usually events organized for after the scheduled orientation day (ie parties), or are we free afterwards? Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation!

1) I lived in Center Court my first year and just moved into the city. It's a brief commute on the el & I'm loving it! (Not that there's anything wrong with campus.... it just ran its course for me). I think a lot, if not most, of the class lives on campus, but plenty live nearby too.

2) Yes, there are several social activites after the business end of orientation. There are usually several spread throughout the week and into the weekend. Some include food and perhaps a free drink to start, but it all depends on what student council can put together. There are typically a few parties that get put together by both the M1 and M2 classes as well. There's no shortage of things to do and most things are well attended. While the class attracts folks of all social types, we are a very relaxed and fun-loving bunch. Rush is even known for being a bit of a "party school" of the med school variety. Basically, people are friendly and there's ALWAYS something fun going on to keep you sane. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey--I just moved into a new place on Fullerton and Halsted in Lincoln Park. Would you and anyone else on this thread be interested in maybe getting brunch on Sunday or something like that?

--JTK

All my friends have started school already. I'm definitely getting antsy. I'll be moved in for good on the 1st, so those of us that are around that weekend will have to get together.

All my friends have started school already. I'm definitely getting antsy. I'll be moved in for good on the 1st, so those of us that are around that weekend will have to get together.

i'll be down in centercourt too on the first. hopefully we can get some of us M1s all together and pregame and go out that friday night and find some cool bars by rush or in the city. any of you older guys know of cool places to party around the west loop?

Chirunner-Don't know if I'll be in the city this weekend... at home in the burbs working.

As for the pre-partying status post sept. 1, I don't know of any bars in the west loop, but there are tons of bars in lincoln park all along clark and lincoln ave., and there are tons of bars in wrigleyville if you guys would be willing to make the hike north and east (red line stops fullerton and addison). you can always check out www.metromix.com for bars/restaurants in the area though.

There are a lot of cool bars in the greektown/west loop ( I live there :)) Here is a quick rundown off the top of my head

Bar/Clubs: People seem to like Reserve, Red No 5, Moto, Victor Hotel, Fulton Lounge, Chromium, Funky Budda

Cool places: Plush is great, especially if you like Hookah
ther eis a beer house right across Plush, really neat too
Greektown: Muses is really neat as well

Basically, there is a lot, do a search of Loop and Greektown on www.metromix.com as your classmate pointed out

Good luck to all of you with start M1 year, it is a fun and exciting road!

Sadly, there's not too much by Rush. If you're looking for just someplace within walking distance to meet up, chat, and have a few drinks, then Hawkeye's on Taylor is a favorite. It's essentially a sports bar with some outside tables, too. We frequently end up there for post-exam "#11 was the sphenopalatine artery entering the pterygopalatine fossa? ****!!!" drinks. Chances are also very good that you will find yourself there during orientation anyway. I suggest heading elsewhere while you have the time. If you do want walking distance though, Bar Louie is a bit further east on Taylor. A chain, but walking distance. I have never been, but if hookah bars are your flavor, Plush is up on Madison. Union Park is on Racine and Jak's Tap is on Jackson. If something more clubby or at least more bustling is what you want, I'd set your sights east somewhere in the city. www.metromix.com is good for searching by neighborhood and style, as is http://centerstagechicago.com.

Oh, I think it's hilarious that I said previously "Rush is a bit of a party med school." We both immediately replied with a host of bar/club options. Classes? Professors? Bars? Now you're talking. :laugh:

I had a question regarding Internet service at Center Court.

Is comcast the only service that we can use as tenants at center court?
Comcast is damn expensive. I just called today to see what their rates are and its about 35 a month for just internet and 70 dollars for cable+internet. Those were the "cheapest" prices they quoted me. Not to mention the 30 dollars for cable activation (whatever the **** that means) + 50 dollars for internet activation. So all in all I am looking at a first month bill of 150 dollars. That is plain ridiculous. And this is after the "college student" discount. I think the rep i was talking to was just making sh1t up.

Anyone know of anything cheaper than this? Maybe that comcast lady was just trying to rip me off? I cannot afford to pay that much money. What is everyone else doing ? I have a studio so I don't even have anyone to share the cost of service with. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'd rather get DSL with At&t if that was an option...

share your internet with your neighbor next door over wireless....that is hopefully what i am doing...as for cable...maybe u can get a dish....comcast cable sux anyway...but then again, how much time do u have to watch tv? I will only watch tv for sports these days....

Members don't see this ad :)
Internet: split wireless with the neighbors (or suck it up and bite the bullet)

Cable: Pare down as much as possible

Installation: Unavoidable :mad:

DSL is cheaper and there is no connection fee (although there is a fee for the modem/router). The medium speed is pretty fast too.

i got basic cable and dsl from comcast for 15 bucks a month. ask for that :)

i got basic cable and dsl from comcast for 15 bucks a month. ask for that :)

WHAT??? You have to mean 15 for the internet on top of already having cable. There's no way you paid that for both. Bare bones cable was 26-ish when I moved in and I got the "new customer" deal for 19.99 internet (for 6 mos) for using Comcast again. If you paid 15 for both.... I want to know what you did to get that price!! :eek:

actually i'm not sure how it happened. i talked the guy down to about 19.99, but then the next day i got an automated call from the company telling me what time they were coming and how much i was paying... and it sounded like twice as much. i called them back and the lady told me it was actually a mistake, and that i'm actually paying 14.99. i hope i didn't understand this incorrectly, but i'm paying about 84 the first month total including installation fees, the latter entity being 100 bucks by itself.

Now I'm confused... first of all, your first post says DSL, which is normally over an existing phone line. Are you getting one of the extended cable packages? 84-14.99 is 69 bucks - steeper for just the cable.

well i'm getting both internet and cable for that price. maybe i got duped about the installation fees for the internet (which is crap because they told me "even [their] own technicians have trouble downloading the software sometimes), but i was told that i was going to pay for that in the first month anyway. so about 84 the first payment (including the 14.99), and then 14.99 each month after... as far as i understand. but now i'm beginning to doubt myself. i think i'm only getting a few channels though. maybe it is too good to be true. even then i only really use the internet -- and this deal sounds cheaper than the internet-only offer. but this is only for the first 6 months anyway...

Yeah, something is seriously wrong there.

ohhh yeah you're right it's not dsl (i keep calling everything that). it's
high-speed internet plus cable. there's something wrong with my on-demand channel that they're fixing though.

comcast blows
go with dsl

I had comcast before and every month they would add random charges to my bill for which i would have to call in so that they could remove them. This happened EVERY single month. I had this package deal for internet + cable for like 45 bucks and it was supposed to be guaranteed for 6 months. 1 month after i got the deal they said that the promotion was NOW over and i would have to pay the full 100 dollars a month to keep receiving service. I called and bugged the hell out of them and finally I cancelled after getting no help whatsoever. Comcast just tries to blow smoke up your ass while trying to leech as much money from you as they can.

buncha bitches

btw who all has already moved into center court?

I have a studio and im bored as hell. We should all go hang out and whatnot.

Im drunk as hell right now too...goddamn

LOL....you are too funny!

I wish I was there already but I won't be moved in til Sat night.

See you soon :p

I'm equally bored. I'm in my apt. in Lincoln Park now, and have nothing to do but pay bills, which I really don't want to do. Who all is in town already? We should definitely plan something for sat. since that's when it seems most people will have moved in.

I'm equally bored. I'm in my apt. in Lincoln Park now, and have nothing to do but pay bills, which I really don't want to do. Who all is in town already? We should definitely plan something for sat. since that's when it seems most people will have moved in.]

I think a jazzfest begins tomorrow, but as the days of boredom grow, just think, in two weeks, your head will be spinning from all the anatomy and your eyes will hurt trying to look into a microscope for histology.

I'm at center court right now, but I don't have any furniture yet. I just took a two hour nap on my floor (carpeting is sweet!). But I guess maybe I should buy a couch soon... and maybe a table or something.

Btw, I noticed that a few classes at other med schools have created facebook or yahoo discussion boards. Seems like a better way of communicating with more people from our class than SDN (not that I don't love SDN). We'd just need a list of email addresses for our class. Anyone interested or does Rush already have an official board somewhere that I don't know about?

I'm totally interested in some sort of message board. I'm buying EVERYTHING once I get to chicago and was hoping to get some things second hand in order to save money.

I'm at center court right now, but I don't have any furniture yet. I just took a two hour nap on my floor (carpeting is sweet!). But I guess maybe I should buy a couch soon... and maybe a table or something.

Btw, I noticed that a few classes at other med schools have created facebook or yahoo discussion boards. Seems like a better way of communicating with more people from our class than SDN (not that I don't love SDN). We'd just need a list of email addresses for our class. Anyone interested or does Rush already have an official board somewhere that I don't know about?

damn thats rough, sleeping on the carpet and all. I got a bed from ikea and spent most of the day yesterday builiding this monstrosity. I think i fcuked up and didnt get enough parts to finish but I was so tired I just kinda put the mattress on it and slept in it anyway. Center court is nice but it is too dull and there isn't too much to do in this area. Plus my window is facing congress pkwy and there is way too many shady people walking around out there esp at night. Doesn't help that my apartment is street level either...

We need to have some parties or something
Parties with food because I can't cook and I am running out of frozen dinners...shyte!

I'm totally interested in some sort of message board. I'm buying EVERYTHING once I get to chicago and was hoping to get some things second hand in order to save money.

well I am guessing that IKEA is going to be your daily hangout for atleast a week once you are at center court.

I don't know if you ever used it in LA, but craigslist.org is the greatest source for used furniture in chitown. The only caveat is you have to pick it up at the seller's place usually, so you'd need a car. Otherwise, it's a cheap and easy way to fill up an apartment with furniture :)

I was planning on using craigslist but was hoping that i would be able to buy some stuff locally. im renting a sedan for my first week and think its gonna be difficult moving the larger pieces of furniture.

i dunno...i guess i'll just figure it all out when i get there =)

Im here (Center Courts) and bored also! Lets be friends :)

I got in last night after driving 3 days from San Diego. I'm still trying to find my way around and get furniture. Does anyone have a truck or SUV and would be willing to help out? Maybe a few of us can chip in and rent one.

Also, if anyone wants to hang out this weekend let me know. I live in an apartment near campus. I won't have internet until next week, but I snuck into the library today.

Anyone know what the dress for the white coat ceremony is?

Casual...business cas...fancy????

that sucks. i was on the floor for over a week until last night. i'm at center court too. ikea delivers furniture for about 90 bucks for the first 400 pounds. 15 cents every pound after. it's a great deal! good luck

The Chicago Jazz Festival kicks off this weekend in Grant Park (right next to Millenium Park). http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org/2006ChicagoJazzFestival/tabid/164/Default.aspx

It's free to sit on the outer lawn area, and easily acessible via the El. You're also allowed to bring as much booze as you can carry (large coolers on wheels are allowed), so what better an opportunity for us all to meet up!

Also, I just found a new website that has peer reviews of bars, restaurants, etc. in case anyone wants another local resource: www.yelp.com

If you've got any more ideas about this weekend, feel free to hit me up on aim: jesoilyons

damn thats rough, sleeping on the carpet and all. I got a bed from ikea and spent most of the day yesterday builiding this monstrosity. I think i fcuked up and didnt get enough parts to finish but I was so tired I just kinda put the mattress on it and slept in it anyway. Center court is nice but it is too dull and there isn't too much to do in this area. Plus my window is facing congress pkwy and there is way too many shady people walking around out there esp at night. Doesn't help that my apartment is street level either...

We need to have some parties or something
Parties with food because I can't cook and I am running out of frozen dinners...shyte!

i like to think i'm an expert at putting ikea crap together. if you need any help just holler. i put together a dining table 4 chairs 2 bookshelves and a bed in two days all by myself. ;)
p.s. i don't do dressers though (not enough strength to make the little rolling drawer pieces fit)

The Chicago Jazz Festival kicks off this weekend in Grant Park (right next to Millenium Park). http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org/2006ChicagoJazzFestival/tabid/164/Default.aspx

It's free to sit on the outer lawn area, and easily acessible via the El. You're also allowed to bring as much booze as you can carry (large coolers on wheels are allowed), so what better an opportunity for us all to meet up!

Also, I just found a new website that has peer reviews of bars, restaurants, etc. in case anyone wants another local resource: www.yelp.com

If you've got any more ideas about this weekend, feel free to hit me up on aim: jesoilyons

that sounds awesome. i just saw the park the other day -- it's got surround sound all above the lawn. genius. (we have a lawn/ampitheatre back home but it doesn't compare)

Anyone know what the dress for the white coat ceremony is?

Casual...business cas...fancy????

Business casual. So men- shirt and tie... women- long skirt/nice pants, nice top, just like you would wear to work :)

Enjoy labor day weekend!

Does anyone know what the class hours will be everyday? What time do we start and what time do we end? Im going to be living in the southern burbs and want to make sure I can get trains in the morn and evening.

Anyone from Ohio attending this year?

Does Rush have wireless in the classrooms and are any of the lectures available online or anyhting like that?

Rush has only recently begun to enter the technology age, so no you cannot get lectures in that way. But the buildings do have wireless capability.

As far as school hours, classes can run from 9-5. In general, lectures are in the morning from 9-12, 12-1 lunch (sometimes free for different events) and then anatomy or histo lab, or the smaller courses in the afternoon. But the schedule will vary day to day, and you will get a copy of the entire semester during orientation. See you soon. :)

hey guys,

i'll be moving into center court tomorrow (friday) around 1 or 2 pm. i was thinking that night we can get a group together and go out drinking at one of those places sammy jay or jen recommended. we could start pregaming anytime since you guys are probably bored out of your minds like i will probably be. give me a call 708-228-7291 or just come by my place. i'm in a double at 1522 apt 1b.

omar

Hi all! I feel like I've been shown a gold mine! I was JUST told about this, thanks Sara, and it's great! My name is Patty, and I'll be living in Center Court with all you other cats. I'm moving in on Sunday. Anyone up for doing something for Labor Day? I'll see you all in a few days!

I Have a couple of questions:

1) Will it be too formal if we wear suits on Friday?

2) Are there stoves and cooking areas in the student lounges?

3) Do the student lounges have cable, ping pong; those kinda things?

4) Is there an Indian restaurant in that area :D

5) Are there lounges that can accomodate a late night of studying as well as a couple hours of sleep into the morning so that I would not have to go home if it is inconvenient?

6) Do M1's start rotations right away?

To whoever answers these; you are the man or woman. Thank you so much in advance, Im coming in from Arizona the day befroe orientation starts so I will not be able to figure these things out over the weekend

Sincerely
KJ

1) Will it be too formal if we wear suits on Friday? Yes, just wear a shirt and tie

2) Are there stoves and cooking areas in the student lounges? Yes, stoves and microwaves on the 9th floor in the student lounge

3) Do the student lounges have cable, ping pong; those kinda things? Cable, yes, but fun games no

4) Is there an Indian restaurant in that area :D There is one on Taylor street apparently under new ownership, supposed to be good, not sure though. remember, Devon Ave isnt that far, and there are tons of indian restaurants downtown

5) Are there lounges that can accomodate a late night of studying as well as a couple hours of sleep into the morning so that I would not have to go home if it is inconvenient? There are student rooms and there is the student lounge with sofas that you can technically "crash" on, i think i fell asleep once there when i was on Ob/Gyn, one of my classmates used to bring a pillow and blanket with him the night before an exam, i think he just slept on the floor of a student study room, hmmm

6) Do M1's start rotations right away? NO! You start with an introduction to the patient course, and you start something called a "preceptorship" where you shadow a fam doc, pediatrician, or internist once a month. Starting the wards right away would not be fair.

To whoever answers these; you are the man or woman. Thank you so much in advance, Im coming in from Arizona the day befroe orientation starts so I will not be able to figure these things out over the weekend

No problem, I actually just submitted my residency application today, let the sweaty palms, nail biting, and stress start again! have a great weekend!