Rush vs. Albany vs. Vermont vs. Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently am only accepted to Rush. I am on the alternate list at Creighton and Albany, and Vermont has not yet made a decision after my interview.

Overall, is there any difference between these schools as far as the opportunities they would provide for me? I don't feel strongly about any one over the other.

Rush
Pros
  1. I heard the clinical sites are for the most part at the 2 main hospitals, would a centralized location make everything more convenient? Maybe not needing a car would help me save money and time.
  2. Preclinical is pass/fail. Clinical is honors/high pass/pass
  3. Has OSCE exams during preclinical, these supposedly prepare you well for STEP 2 CS. Is this common across schools?
Cons
  1. 100% flipped classroom? I heard this could also be a pro. Someone told me that you have a lot of free time, and the majority of your productive time is spent by yourself. This surprised me, because the curriculum model sounds like it is set up in a way that promotes group learning. To be honest, I have always been someone who goes to the library and learns things by myself. Looking back at college, I never learned in lecture or group discussion settings, I felt more comfortable learning things at my own pace, on my own time.
  2. Total cost = $343,028 (guess based assuming total cost of attendance)
Vermont
Pros
  1. True P/F for preclinical
  2. P/F for clinical???
  3. Has both in-house exams and NBME exams
Cons
  1. Flipped classroom?
  2. Limited research opportunities?
  3. Has some clinical sites that would require me to drive to...maybe this would be less convenient
  4. May be placed at CT instead of VT campus, meaning I have to move after 1.5 year preclinical
  5. Total cost = $373,386 – $99172 (average refund for living expenses) = $274,214
Creighton

Pros
  1. Uses NBME style exams
Cons
  1. H/P/F for both preclinical and clinical
  2. Total cost = $416,462 (guessed assuming total cost of attendance)
Albany
Pros
  1. 1.5 year preclinical curriculum
Cons
  1. P/F/Honors
  2. $322,030

Members don't see this ad.

Seems premature no?

You're only accepted at Rush, for now operate under the assumption you're going to Rush. If you get in another off the waitlist then you could make a direct comparison.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems premature no?

You're only accepted at Rush, for now operate under the assumption you're going to Rush. If you get in another off the waitlist then you could make a direct comparison.
Yup, but probably still Rush