Rush vs. MCW-Milwaukee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeeee123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to both Rush and Medical College of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and would love some help making my decision! I do not have a specific specialty in mind yet, but would love to go into academic medicine.

Rush:
+ Located in Chicago (it has always been my dream to go to med school in Chicago)
+ Extremely service-oriented
+ Great connections to other med schools in Chicago (would like to stay in Chicago for Residency)
+ I have free living accommodations
+ Diverse Patient Population
+ Smaller Class Size

- New Curriculum (would be the second class to experience it)
- My Apartment is not on campus and would need to drive every day

MCW:
+ Has about twice as much research funding as Rush (I am really interested in research)
+ Very big on student-wellness
+ Could possibly have free living accommodations here as well
+ Diverse patient population (but not as diverse as Rush)
+ "Pathway" Curriculum, which could potentially look good for residency applications

- Larger Class Size
- Less Name Recognition than Rush (at least in my experience, please lmk if you think otherwise)

All-in-all, I really vibed with faculty and students from both schools during my interview days. The difference in COA is negligible between the two schools. Their second look days are also on the same day. My gut is telling me to go to Rush, but I would really like to hear other perspectives!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rush's new curriculum sounds like a trainwreck. Flipped classroom, 15 hrs mandatory small group work/wk, learning from online lecture and text at home.

For that reason alone, I would pick MCW.

EDIT: However, if you are for sure gunning for residency in Chicago, Rush is the better choice here.

Reactions: 1 users
Rush's new curriculum sounds like a trainwreck. Flipped classroom, 15 hrs mandatory small group work/wk, learning from online lecture and text at home.

For that reason alone, I would pick MCW.

EDIT: However, if you are for sure gunning for residency in Chicago, Rush is the better choice here.

Thanks for the response! What negative things have you heard about the curriculum? I feel like I learn better on my own, but I have also obviously never taken courses as rigorous as med school ones before. Learning information by myself first and then applying it to a clinical case with a group sounds like it might fit my learning style.

Thanks for the response! What negative things have you heard about the curriculum? I feel like I learn better on my own, but I have also obviously never taken courses as rigorous as med school ones before. Learning information by myself first and then applying it to a clinical case with a group sounds like it might fit my learning style.

Simply put, the new curriculum is going through growing pains (too much material, pointless classes, etc) which is natural. However, in my opinion, and those of Rush students I have asked, they will not be solved before next year’s class.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard terrible things about Rush's new curriculum with the 100% flipped classroom. There were a couple threads I've read here and on reddit about how awful it was.

Reactions: 1 users
I've also heard that Rush's curriculum is crap. ....how strong is this gut feeling that you're having?

I'm really glad someone finally asked this! I have an interview coming up from MCW, but am already accepted & thrilled about Rush so all these points are super informative. Just to piggyback off the OP, if you guys could share any links to info about issues with new curriculum that would be helpful.

• Also, are the curriculum issues because it's 100% flipped (I, like OP, learn Ok on my own but appreciate being able to bounce concepts off other people later on) and/or because it's new (haven't worked out all the kinks yet)?
  • Are these issues specific to just Rush's new curriculum or other schools that are going through the same process (e.g. MUSC)?
  • Is the new curriculum the only/chief con about Rush?
Sorry if I'm derailing anything OP!!

Last edited:
I'm really glad someone finally asked this! I have an interview coming up from MCW, but am already accepted & thrilled about Rush so all these points are super informative. Just to piggyback off the OP, if you guys could share any links to info about issues with new curriculum that would be helpful.

• Also, are the curriculum issues because it's 100% flipped (I, like OP, learn Ok on my own but appreciate being able to bounce concepts off other people later on) and/or because it's new (haven't worked out all the kinks yet)?
  • Are these issues specific to just Rush's new curriculum or other schools that are going through the same process (e.g. MUSC)?
  • Is the new curriculum the only/chief con about Rush?
Sorry if I'm derailing anything OP!!

You're not derailing anything! These are the same concerns that I have. Rush has literally been the dream since I decided on going into medicine, but the curriculum has me concerned. I have a couple of friends that are M1s that say they actually like the curriculum (although there are still kinks) but I am still uneasy about it.

You're not derailing anything! These are the same concerns that I have. Rush has literally been the dream since I decided on going into medicine, but the curriculum has me concerned. I have a couple of friends that are M1s that say they actually like the curriculum (although there are still kinks) but I am still uneasy about it.
You should be. It’s hard to tell how the curriculum will be. According to an MS1 there, if you miss 2 required sessions, they’ll take academic disciplinary measures against you.

You should be. It’s hard to tell how the curriculum will be. According to an MS1 there, if you miss 2 required sessions, they’ll take academic disciplinary measures against you.

This doesn't worry me as much as everyone else I guess. I don't mind having to actually show up to class. I like having a time where students are required to learn together because that's part of what school is for me and I'm very social. Having to show up a few hours a day/week for medical school doesn't sound that absurd to me.

Also, lots of other schools are changing their curriculum due to changes in focus, medicine, etc. So, I think this will be a common problem. No one wants to be the guinea pig, but things have to change so at points you will be.

This doesn't worry me as much as everyone else I guess. I don't mind having to actually show up to class. I like having a time where students are required to learn together because that's part of what school is for me and I'm very social. Having to show up a few hours a day/week for medical school doesn't sound that absurd to me.

Also, lots of other schools are changing their curriculum due to changes in focus, medicine, etc. So, I think this will be a common problem. No one wants to be the guinea pig, but things have to change so at points you will be.

You're in a rude awakening when you are forced to go to pointless and useless PBL/TBL sessions that don't teach you crap and simply waste time that you could be using for legit studying. Pair that with no traditional lectures and 100% of these mandatory team based crap, dear god no. Their whole premise sounds nice with the "active learning, being social, blah blah", but having had a couple classes like this in undergrad, I'd immediately nope the fck out if my med school curriculum is like this.

That's why schools like Rush, Drexel, and UVermont, are definite no-no's for me.

Current M1 at Rush. The curriculum started off slow, but they have made massive improvements. Current schedule only requires 3 sessions a week. These average out to be about 3 hours each. Even with the new curriculum, I am incredibly happy here. Rush really is a special place.

1. In terms of research, my undergrad was top 3 in NIH funding. Oddly enough, I find it easier to find research at Rush. ~70% of applicants get funded for summer research grants here, and the director continuously emails us research opportunities/projects/professors that need research help. PIs submit requests with details on their projects, and they get forwarded to us. If you want to do ortho/neuro/nrsrg, Rush is the place to be. Top research in those areas no matter who you ask. Also EM/bioterror/trauma is tops with their relationship and proximity to Cook County Hospital and new ER for state emergencies that is meant to serve all of Chicago.

2. Unparalleled leadership/service opportunities. They really practice what they preach here. Want to co-direct a clinic? Extremely easy to do. Want to found a clinic? Students are doing that. Any leadership or service opportunity you can think of is here. Also great relationship with the Bulls, and some M1s got to work with kids alongside Bulls coaches at the their practice complex and got lots of free merch. Free tickets are a plus. :) Also free lunch multiple times a week because of events going on.

3. Facilties are great and well kept. Totally new study spaces, and the hospital is gorgeous.

4. New EXPLORE early clinical program that puts you in any area of medicine during your first month of school. Rush's strength is creating great clinicians-- you see both sides of medicine. You work in a underserved environment at Cook and in an academic medical center at Rush. The new curriculum is case-based, so you are able to start using some of your knowledge much earlier. Many of us are already doing full presentations to attendings during M1, which doesn't happen until much later at other schools. At Chicago-area clinics you'll interact with other students from other schools who will be jealous of what you know clinically. Yes the curriculum started slow (which is expected), but for me I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Best of luck making your choice! At the end of the day it's only 18 months of preclinical work and then you'll be on the wards.

Have to get back to studying, but PM me with questions.

Reactions: 6 users
Current M1 at Rush. The curriculum started off slow, but they have made massive improvements. Current schedule only requires 3 sessions a week. These average out to be about 3 hours each. Even with the new curriculum, I am incredibly happy here. Rush really is a special place.

1. In terms of research, my undergrad was top 3 in NIH funding. Oddly enough, I find it easier to find research at Rush. ~70% of applicants get funded for summer research grants here, and the director continuously emails us research opportunities/projects/professors that need research help. PIs submit requests with details on their projects, and they get forwarded to us. If you want to do ortho/neuro/nrsrg, Rush is the place to be. Top research in those areas no matter who you ask. Also EM/bioterror/trauma is tops with their relationship and proximity to Cook County Hospital and new ER for state emergencies that is meant to serve all of Chicago.

2. Unparalleled leadership/service opportunities. They really practice what they preach here. Want to co-direct a clinic? Extremely easy to do. Want to found a clinic? Students are doing that. Any leadership or service opportunity you can think of is here. Also great relationship with the Bulls, and some M1s got to work with kids alongside Bulls coaches at the their practice complex and got lots of free merch. Free tickets are a plus. :) Also free lunch multiple times a week because of events going on.

3. Facilties are great and well kept. Totally new study spaces, and the hospital is gorgeous.

4. New EXPLORE early clinical program that puts you in any area of medicine during your first month of school. Rush's strength is creating great clinicians-- you see both sides of medicine. You work in a underserved environment at Cook and in an academic medical center at Rush. The new curriculum is case-based, so you are able to start using some of your knowledge much earlier. Many of us are already doing full presentations to attendings during M1, which doesn't happen until much later at other schools. At Chicago-area clinics you'll interact with other students from other schools who will be jealous of what you know clinically. Yes the curriculum started slow (which is expected), but for me I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Best of luck making your choice! At the end of the day it's only 18 months of preclinical work and then you'll be on the wards.

Have to get back to studying, but PM me with questions.
Awesome. From everything I've seen, the sky-is-falling attitude re: the new curriculum is overblown.