Rutgers 7-year Dental Program

Nahmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just learned about Rutger's 7-year combined degree dental program in which you're admitted after your sophomore year at Rutgers and I'm very interested. If anyone is currently in it right now PLEASE give me some information on it. Was it worth it? How is the course load? How was your personal experience? This is one of my top picks for college right now so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if I'm in the right direction. (By the way, even if you aren't in the program, please let me know what you've heard about it. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Rutgers is an excellent school - no matter what you were doing I don't think you would make a mistake going to rutgers.

With that said - I'm currently a fourth year dental student at UMDNJ and went to Rutgers for my undergrad.

Unfortunately I didn't finalize on dentistry till end of sophomore year and it was too late for me to apply to the seven year program. However, I know lots of people in my year and years after me that went through the 7 year program. If you're relatively smart and willing to work it really is not a heavy course load. You just have to plan on properly and know when to take what courses to make sure you actually take all the pre-reqs. If you're 100% sure you want to go to dental school - it's a great option.

The main downside is well.. you miss out on your senior year of college. And that is definitely really really sad. I mean I can't describe a better year of my life than the senior year of college.

Either way if you're fairly certain about dental school it's a good option. Considering rutgers is a state school - you are getting an exceptional college experience for your money

Wow, thanks for the info! That makes me feel a lot better.
What makes the senior year so great, anyway? Is there anything special you got to do in your senior year that you couldn't do at any other time?
Also, I know it might be a lot to request but would it be possible for me to get the email of one of your 7-year friends? With their consent, obviously. It would be sooo awesome and helpful if I could get specifics on it. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, how is your experience at UMDNJ? How is the environment there?

7 Year accelerated programs are, surprise surprise...accelerated. Therefore, you can finish all your prereqs in 3 years and go straight to dental school even if you do not get into the 7 year program. Bottom line is that you'd rather take your time and do well in your undergrad years. Also check out NJIT's 7 year dental program with NJDS. It is quite exceptional and if you are even the slightest bit competitive NJIT rewards you with large amounts of scholarship money during your 3 undergrad years

7 Year accelerated programs are, surprise surprise...accelerated. Therefore, you can finish all your prereqs in 3 years and go straight to dental school even if you do not get into the 7 year program. Bottom line is that you'd rather take your time and do well in your undergrad years. Also check out NJIT's 7 year dental program with NJDS. It is quite exceptional and if you are even the slightest bit competitive NJIT rewards you with large amounts of scholarship money during your 3 undergrad years

I was in the NJIT/NJDS program but ultimately dropped the program and went to Penn after 3 years at NJIT. NJIT also gives out a lot of money, even to OOS students like me. I had scholarships that exceeded cost of attendance that I used to upgrade my housing options there. Nonetheless, NJDS is an exceptional school, but it just wasn't a right fit for me. It's hard to gauge what you want in a dental school so early, and unless you're absolutely sure NJDS is right for you, accelerated programs will limit your choices of where you will go for DS.

I was in the NJIT/NJDS program but ultimately dropped the program and went to Penn after 3 years at NJIT. NJIT also gives out a lot of money, even to OOS students like me. I had scholarships that exceeded cost of attendance that I used to upgrade my housing options there. Nonetheless, NJDS is an exceptional school, but it just wasn't a right fit for me. It's hard to gauge what you want in a dental school so early, and unless you're absolutely sure NJDS is right for you, accelerated programs will limit your choices of where you will go for DS.

Couldn't agree with you more!