Rutgers GSBS Dental Scholars program update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrobert7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a student in the Rutgers School of Graduate Studies (SGS), also called Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Dental Scholars program. To those who have never heard of the program, this program is designed for students who desire admission to dental school, but wish to strengthen their application. To those who are considering applying to the program, or are already planning to attend, there are updated aspects about the program most might not be aware of.

First, as of June 2018, RSDM (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine) will be providing guaranteed interviews to those who obtain a minimum 3.7 GPA in the program with at least 20 credits, in addition to obtaining at least an AA of 20 and a TS of 20 on the DAT. This is a new development for the program that is being implemented for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Secondly, Rutgers School of Dental Medicine has removed the requirement that SGS students complete at least one semester before applying to SDM.

If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to ask me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol pretty unfair to the students who will be applying this year to rutgers with a 3.5 when in previous years, people were admitted to Rutgers dental with a 3.5. I honestly don't know anyone who has managed to get ~3.8 in this program

Lol pretty unfair to the students who will be applying this year to rutgers with a 3.5 when in previous years, people were admitted to Rutgers dental with a 3.5. I honestly don't know anyone who has managed to get ~3.8 in this program

What I said (SGS students that obtain a 3.7 GPA over 20 credits plus 20 AA on the DAT) is the guidelines for a guaranteed interview. This does not mean that RSDM will not invite SGS students with lower GPAs. I believe that SGS students with at least a 3.5 GPA in the program will still be considered for interviews. I also know students have graduated from the program with a 4.0 GPA before. Best of luck in your application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but they made the program harder this year. In tox 91 is an A, before it was an 89, just like any other class. Good luck on your application cycle as well :)

How competitive is the Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Dental Scholars program? and is it a rolling admission?
Also Im a Rutgers graduate. Is there a preference for instate students for this program

First, as of June 2018, RSDM (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine) will be providing guaranteed interviews to those who obtain a minimum 3.7 GPA in the program with at least 20 credits, in addition to obtaining at least an AA of 20 and a TS of 20 on the DAT. This is a new development for the program that is being implemented for the 2018-2019 cycle.

What were the requirements, if there were any, for receiving an interview for dental scholar students prior to June 2018? I'm wondering if this update is good or bad news.

What were the requirements, if there were any, for receiving an interview for dental scholar students prior to June 2018? I'm wondering if this update is good or bad news.
prior to this, there was not any linkage at all. This actually makes the program more reputable and more competitive.

How competitive is the Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Dental Scholars program? and is it a rolling admission?
Also Im a Rutgers graduate. Is there a preference for instate students for this program
Hello,
The Rutgers dental scholars program is rolling admissions and admissions is holistic, as in they look at more than just GPA and DAT/GRE. There is also no preference for in-state students. I am a New York resident who was accepted and I know most of the student body are not New Jersey residents.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no interview required for admission to the dental scholars program.

You guys are lucky!.

I had 3.9 in the program and and a 23 AA on the DAT 3 years ago. I didn't even get an invite to Rutgers Dental. This is good that they implement the new system to make the program more attractive.

I graduated two years ago with a 3.7 from that GSBS program but started working right after and I have not applied to a new cycle. I was thinking of applying next year and wonder if they would honor that for students who graduated prior to 2018?

I graduated two years ago with a 3.7 from that GSBS program but started working right after and I have not applied to a new cycle. I was thinking of applying next year and wonder if they would honor that for students who graduated prior to 2018?

I'll let you know if I get an interview this cycle. I graduated in 2017 with a 3.7+ in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am currently a student in the Rutgers School of Graduate Studies (SGS), also called Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Dental Scholars program. To those who have never heard of the program, this program is designed for students who desire admission to dental school, but wish to strengthen their application. To those who are considering applying to the program, or are already planning to attend, there are updated aspects about the program most might not be aware of.

Secondly, Rutgers School of Dental Medicine has removed the requirement that SGS students complete at least one semester before applying to SDM.

Hey! What classes would you recommend to take in the program? I will be starting in the fall and am trying to gauge my schedule.

hey guys im taking dental histology and I was wondering about how that class is

I think I will be attending in the fall of 2019. How is the workload and your overall experience?

Do you think it's doable for 3.7+ gpa while working 20 hours a week or twice a week?

Hi I am planning on applying to this program for fall 2020 if i do not get in this cycle, any advice on which classes to take and not to take to maintain a high gpa.

Hi I am planning on applying to this program for fall 2020 if i do not get in this cycle, any advice on which classes to take and not to take to maintain a high gpa.

I have applied to this program and waiting to hear back from them. Please help us lol

Hey! Do you mind sharing the stats for admissions?

I applied with a 3.2 and 23AA and also got my acceptance two days later. The process was quite short and somewhat simple. I will be declining my seat though to matriculate in dental school. Probably will send them an email at the end of this week.

Ditto 🙄; I am attending in the Fall and need some advice. Thank you!